How can machine translation help human translators?
Thread poster: NeliVoynova
NeliVoynova
NeliVoynova
Local time: 19:18
English to Bulgarian
Apr 14, 2009

In what way could machine translation help human translators?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-14 13:10 GMT]

Radek Ptak
Radek Ptak
Local time: 17:18
English to Polish
... Apr 14, 2009

It defiantly helps the clients to save some money Regarding translators... I'm not sure... a lot of them tend to be very picky and don't like when machine interfere too much.
Sometimes it helps quite a lot to keep terminology consistent, especially in big projects involving a lot of translators, but it's just my point of view and I'm not translator.

Radek

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Wrong forum Apr 14, 2009

You ask about machine translation, but this forum is dedicated to computer-aided translation. They are quite different approaches to use of computers. Both, however, can be helpful by making translator’s work faster and m... See more
You ask about machine translation, but this forum is dedicated to computer-aided translation. They are quite different approaches to use of computers. Both, however, can be helpful by making translator’s work faster and more efficient. Advantages and disadvantages of them have been discussed much here and in other places. Just go and search.Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Picky is good!! Apr 14, 2009

Radek Ptak wrote:
It defiantly helps the clients to save some money Regarding translators... I'm not sure... a lot of them tend to be very picky and don't like when machine interfere too much.

I honestly hope you are picky in your work, for the good of your translations!

Edited to add the following:
Oops. You did mention that you are not a translator. Let me then hope that you are picky in your creations, for the good of your customers. I personally think that being "picky" is a good quality in a translator.

[Edited at 2009-04-14 14:58 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There has been a thread or two about it recently. Apr 14, 2009

NeliVoynova wrote:

In what way could machine translation help human translators?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-14 13:10 GMT]

Please use the forum search feature to find them.

HTH

Piotr

NeliVoynova
NeliVoynova
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Apr 15, 2009

I am sorry. There are so many topics in this forum that I just got lost! Machine translation and machine assisted translation have been the topic of one of my recent researches and I thought other people could also be interested in this. I know MT and MAT are two different things and I even found a whole forum for MT, MT methods and MAT. rtmt.info

Sorry again, I'm going to search in the other topics here.

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
CAT, MT, TM, MAHT, HAMT and other acronyms are related May 20, 2009

CAT and MT are very related. see the following posts:

Definition of CAT
http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/26842-what_exactly_are_cat_tools.html#184880

t
... See more
CAT and MT are very related. see the following posts:

Definition of CAT
http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/26842-what_exactly_are_cat_tools.html#184880

the merging of CAT, MT, MAHT, HAMT, etc
http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/45007-need_help_for_machine_translation_questionnaire.html#328685

MT is the parent of TM
http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/57640-do_you_see_systran_as_an_aid_or_as_competition-page3.html#440750

Neli, use the search feature on my name combined with keywords like:
post-editing
postediting

then you will get to the threads that discuss how MT has been used successfully as a tool to aid the human translation process.

Jeff
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can machine translation help human translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »