Do you change fonts when translating into another alphabet?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 26, 2009

Hi all,

I'm curious to hear the different methods people here use:
When you translate with a CAT tool into another charset/alphabet, how do you handle the font issue?

Ie when the source text is using a custom font which doesn't support the target language.
During the CAT phase, will the CAT tool you use replace the source font with a generic display font (à la Tag Editor)?
And after cleanup, will your translation revert to the source font and display
... See more
Hi all,

I'm curious to hear the different methods people here use:
When you translate with a CAT tool into another charset/alphabet, how do you handle the font issue?

Ie when the source text is using a custom font which doesn't support the target language.
During the CAT phase, will the CAT tool you use replace the source font with a generic display font (à la Tag Editor)?
And after cleanup, will your translation revert to the source font and display garbage chars?
Do you apply your own font to the target, and if so, do you attach the font files when delivering the document to the client?

/J
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There's barely any fonts left that could not handle ALL languages Mar 26, 2009

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

The question is how the client handles the question. I try always to handle the text as written in Unicode. making sure then that the fonts are not some exotic kind, I barely have any problems in this regard.

Except if I cant force the text to behave - like sticking to western-1 or similar. But then, it is NOT a question of fonts, the problem is the encoding set used.

UTF-8 Rules OK.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-03-26 16:07 GMT]

pltsanve
pltsanve
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Good question, indeed Mar 26, 2009

Since this is often necessary, I prefer using a common rather than another custom font. Of course, it's something that has to be cleared up with the client before starting the translation. In general, I'd only suggest another custom font (and send it along in such case; I suppose people who do this usually know that fonts are licenced items, too, so one should only distribute them if their licence allows it, but it doesn't hurt to mention it) if I had a font that strongly resembles the original ... See more
Since this is often necessary, I prefer using a common rather than another custom font. Of course, it's something that has to be cleared up with the client before starting the translation. In general, I'd only suggest another custom font (and send it along in such case; I suppose people who do this usually know that fonts are licenced items, too, so one should only distribute them if their licence allows it, but it doesn't hurt to mention it) if I had a font that strongly resembles the original font used, so it wouldn't change the overall design.

In my experience, the font substitution option in TE, i.e. TW, seems quite realiable (at least with CE fonts) and characters don't revert to the source font in the target file. Strange things sometimes happen while translating directly in e.g. Word, but that's a whole new story.

Regards
Vesna
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:21
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
If... Mar 26, 2009

... you handle XML-based documents in any CAT-tool, you can use any font you like as it is actually just on-screen font.
The font-related info is stored in the XML-tags and will be applied to the text when you save the target.

I don't care if I copy some words from concordance or any other resource and they appear in a different font or have different size, e.g. Arial in the middle of a sentence in TimesNewRoman...
I never change the font of such inserts, as I have no ti
... See more
... you handle XML-based documents in any CAT-tool, you can use any font you like as it is actually just on-screen font.
The font-related info is stored in the XML-tags and will be applied to the text when you save the target.

I don't care if I copy some words from concordance or any other resource and they appear in a different font or have different size, e.g. Arial in the middle of a sentence in TimesNewRoman...
I never change the font of such inserts, as I have no time to.
Everything will be in the correct font at the end anyway.

If the font in the XML-tags does not support the target language, it is the problem of the client, not you. The font can be changed globally at the end...

[Редактировалось 2009-03-26 22:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you change fonts when translating into another alphabet?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »