Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
So this is it? If I refuse to use Trados, I cannot translate XML files?
Thread poster: Dinny
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
French to English
Manual solution? Mar 23, 2009

David Seycek wrote:

The tricky part is to separate the markup (i.e. Text ) from translatable content

I have been known to do this by copy/pasting into a Word document, and creating a 3-column table with tag, text, /tag, using "text to table".

Copy the middle column into another Word document, and translate as usual.

Once complete, copy it back into the middle column of the table, and then do "table to text". You can then copy the whole shebang into a text file and save as xml.

It's not a full automated solution, but I like to feel as though I am fully in control of what is going on

[Edited at 2009-03-23 09:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-23 09:50 GMT]

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:41
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to translate XML with Wordfast Mar 24, 2009

1) Open Word and Wordfast Classic
2) Open PlusTools+ (tools / templates and add-ins)
3) Open your XML file from Word
4) Click on PlusTools+ and tick/select the file
5) Still in PlusTools+ click on +tweak and on: run on selected files
6) Close PlusTools+
7) Open the new processed Word file
8) Translate with Wordfast
9) Clean-up
10) Click on 'save as' and check 'tools' in upper right corner of the 'save as' screen, then web op
... See more
6) Close PlusTools+
7) Open the new processed Word file
9) Clean-up
10) Click on 'save as' and check 'tools' in upper right corner of the 'save as' screen, then web options... encoding... select: Unicode (UTF-8)
11) Select and Copy the whole text
12) Open Notepad++
13) Paste the text in Notepad++ (if your translation has any special characters, check the text and correct if necessary (replace any 'E5', 'E6' and similar with the correct letter.)
14) Click Format to check that the encoding is selected as UTF-8
15) Click on File/Save as... and save as XML (last one on the list)
16) Check that you can open your new XML file in a browser

[Edited at 2009-03-24 09:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-24 09:04 GMT]
Collapse

palilula (X)
palilula (X)
United States
Local time: 00:41
German to English
+ ...
Why have I to have Trados? Why not Word or Word Perfect? And if a client wants me to work on TRADOS, Mar 29, 2009

Why have I to have Trados? Why not Word or Word Perfect? And if a client wants me to work on TRADOS, he can supply me with the software. I am not openmidned to spen $700.00 - $ 800.00 for a software while a package of software is much, much cheaper?

[Edited at 2009-03-29 01:43 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:41
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Because... Mar 29, 2009

Barbara Bright wrote:

Why have I to have Trados? Why not Word or Word Perfect? And if a client wants me to work on TRADOS, he can supply me with the software. I am not openmidned to spen $700.00 - $ 800.00 for a software while a package of software is much, much cheaper?

Leaving aside the fact that in most instances MS Word or Word Perfect are not suitable tools to work on XML files, if I were the customer, and, for reasons of my own (most probably because the rest of the team uses Trados) specify that Trados should be used for a project, accepting the project (i.e., accepting its requirements) and then using a different piece of software would be a breach of contract.

If you can get away with that (i.e., not only you can provide a translation, but also exchange translation memories with the colleagues in the team, maybe edit the bilingual .ttx files translated by some other member of the team in Trados, and so on), because you are a wiz at working with other TM packages in a way that is seamless with Trados, good for you, and the customer probably wouldn't complain. But if you used a different tool than the one specified, and this then caused problems for the rest of the team, the customer would have all the reasons for falling on you like a ton of bricks (maybe reducing your payment, certainly never assigning work to you again).

Customers have the right to specify the requirements for a project, up to and including conditions that we may consider unreasonable (perhaps because they are, perhaps just because we don't know all the facts), such as which tools to use. Similarly, translators have the right to turn down projects with requirements that they don't like.

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:41
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated walk-through on how to translate XML with Wordfast May 4, 2009

I am updating my previous walk-through (it is not possible to edit it anymore), because a few things have changed and made the process even easier. At the time when I was trying to figure out how to treat the XML files, I was told that I needed to save the text as UTF-8 already in Word. That actually created a lot of extra work after copying to Notepad++ because I had to correct all the Danish characters manually. Instead, I only save the encoding as "Western European" in Word, copy/paste to No... See more
I am updating my previous walk-through (it is not possible to edit it anymore), because a few things have changed and made the process even easier. At the time when I was trying to figure out how to treat the XML files, I was told that I needed to save the text as UTF-8 already in Word. That actually created a lot of extra work after copying to Notepad++ because I had to correct all the Danish characters manually. Instead, I only save the encoding as "Western European" in Word, copy/paste to Notepad++ and only at this stage choose the format to be UTF-8. Now it's a piece of cake translating XML with Wordfast.

6) Close PlusTools+
7) Open the new processed Word file (it has the same name as the original)
9) Clean-up
10) Click on 'save as' and check 'tools' in upper right corner of the 'save as' screen, then web options... encoding... select what is appropriate for your language (for Danish I select "Western European"). Save your file.
11) Select and Copy the whole text
12) Open Notepad++
13) Paste the text in Notepad++
14) Click Format and select encoding UTF-8
15) Click on File/Save as... and save as XML (last one on the list)
16) Check that you can open your new XML file in a browser
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
More about character encoding May 4, 2009

Dinny wrote:
A colleague of mine checked the file for me and told me about these "extras" which should not have been there. ... I'm sure she won't mind if I quote her message to me:

There was strange "garbage" in the beginning of your file that was visible at least in TextPad: "" - I manually deleted these (if they were there the file wouldn't work even in UTF-8 as is breaks XML syntax).

Your colleague has some skill but lacks some knowledge. The fact that she calls those three characters "weird" tells me that she does not know all there is to know about UTF-8. She is using a primitive type of UTF-8 text editor that is unable to recognise the UTF-8 "byte order mark" (i.e. those three characters).

BEFORE THE FLAMES ROLL IN... I must add very quickly that in the strictest sense of the official specifications, UTF-8 does not have a byte order mark (BOM), and if a text editor doesn't support it, then it is not good or bad -- it simply means that whoever developed the text editor didn't think that supporting it was necessary. Personally I think it is short-sighted for a text editor not to support the UTF-8 BOM, but some programmers are dogmatic about such things and they believe that by not support this non-standard format, they will help eradicate its use, regardless of the effect it may have on the users of their particular text editor.

However, that is not the full story. XML often contains character specifications within the document itself, and this is another reason why it is a bad idea to edit XML in Notepad (or any text editor) if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of XML. For example, if the original XML file declared itself as UTF-16 LE but you saved it as UTF-8, then the program that reads the XML file (i.e. your browser) is forced to make an unhappy decision about which encoding is really the real encoding, and different browsers will make different decisions.

I have seen XML files (from Trados users and clients) that declared themselves as UTF-8 but which were really saved as UTF-16 LE. This happens, I think, because UTF-16 LE is the most common default encoding used by MS Word and Trados.

The best solution is to ensure that the file is delivered back to the client in the same encoding as it was received from him. The fact that you are technically correct and your client is technically wrong will not help your cause if your client is unable to use your file in his system.

The only safe way to check what a file's encoding is, is using a hex editor. Open the XML file in the hex editor and check which characters are right at the beginning of the file. Then check the Wikipedia page on byte order marks to see which encoding the file is in. Then make sure, before you send the translation to your client, that your final file has the same byte order mark (if any). Some people will tell you to use this or that text editor because they trust it, text editors behave differently on different computers, so watch out.

[Edited at 2009-05-04 12:10 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Thanks May 6, 2009

Thanks for your update Dinny!

Samuel, I am confused by the following statement:

For example, if the original XML file declared itself as UTF-16 LE but you saved it as UTF-8, then the program that reads the XML file (i.e. your browser) is forced to make an unhappy decision about which encoding is really the real encoding, and different browsers will make different decisions.

What do you mean by "declared", and how can an xml file be UTF-16, I thought it could only be UTF-8?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two answers May 6, 2009

Lori Cirefice wrote:
What do you mean by "declared"...

<?xml encoding='UTF-8'?>
<?xml encoding='EUC-JP'?>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
...etc, in the very first line of the file.

...and how can an xml file be UTF-16, I thought it could only be UTF-8?

Whatever gave you that idea?

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/
In an encoding declaration, the values " UTF-8 ", " UTF-16 ", " ISO-10646-UCS-2 ", and " ISO-10646-UCS-4 " SHOULD be used for the various encodings and transformations of Unicode / ISO/IEC 10646, the values " ISO-8859-1 ", " ISO-8859-2 ", ... " ISO-8859- n " (where n is the part number) SHOULD be used for the parts of ISO 8859, and the values " ISO-2022-JP ", " Shift_JIS ", and " EUC-JP " SHOULD be used for the various encoded forms of JIS X-0208-1997.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
A lot left to learn May 7, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Whatever gave you that idea?

Good question, now I'm not sure, but I recall reading that on some tutorial, somewhere, and it stuck with me. Thanks for taking the time to post - I'm going to read through the w3 standards in hopes of gaining a better understanding

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So this is it? If I refuse to use Trados, I cannot translate XML files?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »