Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you include apologies in your response when you can't accept a job request?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 02:48
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Culture Jan 10

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
Because I've been turned down? Sorry and unfortunately do not change that fact, they even feel slightly sarcastic (I'm not saying they are wrong). I'd prefer: I cannot help you at this time due to (list of reasons), whishing you a nice day. No need to apologize.

OK. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Not apologising would be very rude in my country.

I can’t speak on behalf of an entire culture/country (you obviously can), but in my book it’s only wrong if someone actually did something wrong. I’d be doing nothing but apologizing all day long if I were to reply to every random “Hello dear, kindly reply” job offer.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ouch Jan 10

Lingua 5B wrote:
I can’t speak on behalf of an entire culture/country (you obviously can), but in my book it’s only wrong if someone actually did something wrong. I’d be doing nothing but apologizing all day long if I were to reply to every random “Hello dear, kindly reply” job offer.

Don’t you think cultural awareness is part of our job even if not part of being human?

Anyway, apart from being basic good manners, in my culture you would actually feel apologetic for disappointing someone.

Maybe that’s why you get so many offers like that. I don’t.

Becca Resnik
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Marjolein Snippe
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 19:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Sometimes sorry is an honest sorry Jan 10

In 30+ years of my career I was forced to decline several offers that have been either downright great or definitely worth at least checking out, mostly due to overload or being on the other side of the ocean at the moment, so I did indeed was sorry and tried to add a few most respectful words about possible future cooperation. Sometimes I would never hear from the client again but more than once it came to be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Sometimes people skills come f
... See more
In 30+ years of my career I was forced to decline several offers that have been either downright great or definitely worth at least checking out, mostly due to overload or being on the other side of the ocean at the moment, so I did indeed was sorry and tried to add a few most respectful words about possible future cooperation. Sometimes I would never hear from the client again but more than once it came to be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Sometimes people skills come first. I got that from my early tour guide experience. Charm and open up the crowd, and they will be yours to rule. The same was and still is super useful for my interpretation assignments with the new clients. The audience can be friendly and forgiving (to the extent, of course, a very fine line here), or it can ruin you over a simplest mishap.
Collapse

Becca Resnik
Christopher Schröder
Liena Vijupe
Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino

Jean Paul Icyimpaye
Jean Paul Icyimpaye  Identity Verified
Rwanda
English to Kinyarwanda
+ ...
Apologies depend on specific parties. Jan 10

I actually owe an apology my clients whom I have been working with for a long time.
If you are new, and I am not available for your request, my answer is simple as "Thank you for the inquiry. I am unavailable now, and I hope we will collaborate soon." Is this an apology?

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Apology Jan 10

Apology counts in person. For instance, there are companies that send a rejection letter to tousands of applicants “Unfortunately, at this time, we are sorry…”. Is this automated canned reply that’s been sent to thousands really an apology? No, it’s not. Just like a Happy New Year email sent to thousands is not a really Happy New Year addressed at you.

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 18:48
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK Jan 11

Radmila Sobacic wrote:

Excellent question! I used to apologize, but then I realized it positioned me in a subordinate role in the conversation. There are ways to maintain politeness without compromising your professional demeanor. So, I would rather say: Thank you for the request (showing my gratitude and keeping the polite relationship with a client), I am currently not available, so I'm sending the contacts of my colleagues who can assist you. Every now and then I catch myself saying something like "Unfortunately I'm working on another project..." But that's not unfortunate, it's a great thing, so I doesn't really make sense

Or you can say: This time I do not agree with your offer ($) for this task. I will not be able to work on this project.

Lingua 5B

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No wonder wars happen Jan 11

Who knew this would be such an issue? No wonder wars happen.

expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Liena Vijupe
IrinaN

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
As far as I know Jan 11

Anyway, apart from being basic good manners, in my culture you would actually feel apologetic for disappointing someone.

This is also valid in Italy, France and Spain, oh and in the USA.

Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Assumptions, assumptions Jan 11

Lingua 5B wrote:

Don’t you think cultural awareness is part of our job even if not part of being human?

Unfortunately, in my culture we wouldn’t assume things based on a very limited number of details on a message board. I am saddened I had to be the one to inform you of this, I apologize.

Christopher Schröder

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Yes, usually Jan 11

Yes, usually, but boy does it get tiring having to write the same email over and over again.

Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:48
English to Turkish
Odd that Jan 12

Gerard Barry wrote:

Yes, usually, but boy does it get tiring having to write the same email over and over again.

I thought you were a fired in-house translator who hated translation.

Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Canned reply Jan 12

Gerard Barry wrote:

Have a canned reply ready and then just copy/paste. You are not an employee, and such not obliged to even reply or justify anything.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
What's your point? Jan 12

Baran Keki wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

I thought you were a fired in-house translator who hated translation.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Actually, I am an employee. I work in-house:) Jan 12

Lingua 5B wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

Have a canned reply ready and then just copy/paste. You are not an employee, and such not obliged to even reply or justify anything.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No words Jan 12

Lingua 5B wrote:
You are not an employee, and such not obliged to even reply or justify anything.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you include apologies in your response when you can't accept a job request?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »