Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you include apologies in your response when you can't accept a job request?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
German to English
Thanks only Jan 12

If the inquiry is addressed to me personally, I thank the correspondent for considering me and indicate potential availability in the future. No need to be sorry about anything.

Alex Lichanow
Lingua 5B
Daryo

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OK, but... Jan 12

Kevin Fulton wrote:

If the inquiry is addressed to me personally, I thank the correspondent for considering me and indicate potential availability in the future. No need to be sorry about anything.

How do you say "I can't do this" without prefacing it with "sorry", "unfortunately" or "I'm afraid", and not sound blunt/hostile/robotic? What is wrong with saying "Sorry I can't do this"?

Angie Garbarino
Baran Keki
IrinaN

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Serbian to English
+ ...
Exactly Jan 12

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
You are not an employee, and such not obliged to even reply or justify anything.

Exactly that - there is no obligation to reply or justify anything.

But there is also your common sense / own judgement to decide when and to who it's worth replying.

Unless you made some mistake you're sorry about, "sorry" means little - just a canned reply that can easily sound passive-aggressive.

Being an independent professional you have no obligation to accept just any offer, so why would you be a priori "sorry" for not doing something you have no obligation to do in the first place? You could be genuinely sorry because you like the offered job but you're too busy to take it, but that's a different situation.

As for "how wars happen" you might want to take a look at the writings of a certain Carl von Clausewitz - a bit more relevant than worrying about saying or not "sorry".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you include apologies in your response when you can't accept a job request?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »