How to resolve No translation memory for segments?
Thread poster: Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Anne-Marie Gerritsen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:54
English to Dutch
Feb 11, 2023

Since I have cafetran on my new laptop cafetran is experiencing some problems. As this forum is always very helpful here is my question: When opening a new project, cafetran keeps telling me there is no translation memory for segment. How do I resolve this issue?

I have a Huawei matebook 16 with windows 11 and use Cafetran Espresso 11.2.3.

Thanks in advance and happy translating all!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Did you open a memory? Feb 11, 2023

Are you sure that you opened a memory for segments and that it isn’t set to read-only?

Anne-Marie Gerritsen
Anne-Marie Gerritsen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 11, 2023

Thanks Hans, that's the solution!

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:54
English to Russian
+ ...
I have the same problems, and it seems I have all the necessary options Apr 19, 2023

Hi Hans,

I have all the necessary options ticked, but I still have this error - "No translation memory for segments".

https://i.imgur.com/z37TAfb.png

And, I have another problem: when I export the file, I see that the segments I left empty in CafeTran are deleted in the exported file.

In other words, If I don`t insert any translation into the target segm
... See more
Hi Hans,

I have all the necessary options ticked, but I still have this error - "No translation memory for segments".

https://i.imgur.com/z37TAfb.png

And, I have another problem: when I export the file, I see that the segments I left empty in CafeTran are deleted in the exported file.

In other words, If I don`t insert any translation into the target segment, this non-translated segment replaces the source segment in the exported file (I wanted to have the source segment in the exported file, but the target segment is empty because I inserted no translation).

https://i.imgur.com/aeY4D41.png

Thank you!

[Edited at 2023-04-19 04:51 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No clue Apr 19, 2023

Sorry, I have no clue.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Transfer source to target Apr 19, 2023

With Excel documents, you can transfer each source segment to target it by clicking the down arrow button - Transfer to target segment editor.

If you prefer to achieve it in one go for all the segments, please do as follows:

1. Filter > Status > Untranslated (empty) segments. Don't miss this step! Otherwise, the next action will affect all the segments.
2. Task > Transfer source segment to target segment.

As for the "No translation memory for segments
... See more
With Excel documents, you can transfer each source segment to target it by clicking the down arrow button - Transfer to target segment editor.

If you prefer to achieve it in one go for all the segments, please do as follows:

1. Filter > Status > Untranslated (empty) segments. Don't miss this step! Otherwise, the next action will affect all the segments.
2. Task > Transfer source segment to target segment.

As for the "No translation memory for segments" issue, please restart the program and make sure that that translation memory loads in the tab and those TM options are still checked after opening the project. If this a project created in another tool, just create a new (project) memory via the menu Memory > New memory... .
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:54
English to Russian
+ ...
I don`t want to manually do that, filter, etc. Apr 20, 2023

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Thanks for the tips, Igor, the only thing is that my previous experience tells me that even when there were empty target segments in Excel file in CafeTran (i.e. those not translated deliberately), these empty (not translated) segments did not overwrite the source segments in the exported Excel file.

In other words, if any source segment was left untranslated in CafeTran, when the file was exported, we could still see the source segment, not an empty cell in the exported Excel file.

Now any non-translated segment become empty cells in the exported file, and I want the source segment be there in the exported file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to resolve No translation memory for segments?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »