SilviuM
SilviuM
Romania
Local time: 21:27
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2008

Dear (fellow, ie) subtitlers,

Here you have a very interesting compilation of links to fully written scripts (drafted and resulted ones) of some of the most famous Sci-Fi & Fantasy films and/or cartoons(!)...
See more
Dear (fellow, ie) subtitlers,

Here you have a very interesting compilation of links to fully written scripts (drafted and resulted ones) of some of the most famous Sci-Fi & Fantasy films and/or cartoons(!)

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/scripts

http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/literature329

http://www.simplyscripts.com/genre/sci-fi-scripts.html

http://www.scifiscripts.com (with /cartoons, you can leap to the Sci-Fi cartoons area)

You guessed it! It's for (high quality, ie) subtitling.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nice one, but... Jul 10, 2008

...do you mean you don't get the script when you are commissioned to do the subtitles? Then you are short changed. I hope you charge for the transcription as well.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Who needs a transcription? Jul 11, 2008

juvera wrote:
...do you mean you don't get the script when you are commissioned to do the subtitles? Then you are short changed. I hope you charge for the transcription as well.

99% of my video translation work so far involves corporate, not commercial video. Now and then I get a full-feature film, but it is very rare.

So usually only 1 out of every 10 videos I get comes with a script. From those that do, in 1 out of 5 the script actually matches the final edit. So what's the point of getting addicted to scripts?

One 120-min movie I had to translate came with a script, on stationery from some YouNameIt Video Transcription Services, with address at Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, USA. Did it match the final edit? Yes! Was it any good? NO!!! Whoever did that, possibly a "native speaker" understood less English than I do. Things like swapping (I'm making these up now - can't remember) "mattress" for "my dress", "pillow" for "peeler", in spite of plenty of context clues in the film.

Some translators charge up to twice as much when they don't get the script. I simply didn't bother about them when I began working with video, won't start now.

I wonder if that's because CAT-tool addicts can't run them on audio only. But really, considering the amount of work left after such software has translated a complete script, to convert that into subtitles, it makes me think if it's worth the effort. Quite frankly, I do charge - and quite expensively - when I'm asked NOT to translate from the video, but just to spot a full-script translation someona has already done. The editing work is much, much worse than translating it directly to subtitles.

SilviuM
SilviuM
Romania
Local time: 21:27
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Allusions? Jul 11, 2008

juvera wrote:

NOoo... I don't mean anything like that(!) In fact, I'm not even alluding to anything! You know how it is, like when you seem pensive, but you're actually thinking aka sinking.
Really, I use such scripts only to translate into a *.txt, afterwards inserting them into a *.sub with the help of Subtitle Workshop.
Now, of course, the final edit of the movie (featured only) doesn't always match the draft (sigh), but as I said before... right now, I do ONLY what I like most without being paid or anything; just a... skills - perfecting passion o' mine.

P.S. 'Gattaca' had been a pain for me to re-edit because its draft script had been altered about... 15 - 20%

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I wonder if that's because CAT-tool addicts can't run them on audio only

I can run them on audio, of course, only that my ears hurt after listening through my headset for hours on end. Plus, some words in English sound virtually unintelligible to me because they are whispered by the actors, thus having to adjust the pitch to a certain level. So, if I CAN find that word in the draft, why not go there? Of course, if the draft doesn't include it and IF I CAN'T find even a final edit, then... I have to adjust.

Some translators charge up to twice as much when they don't get the script.

Yes, I suppose it's oh-kay to charge double in such cases... IF you are highly profiled.

Whoever did that, possibly a "native speaker" understood less English than I do

Indeed, Americans tend to speak a more... casual English excepting those from British Columbia. Probably "my dress" had been pronounced like "ma dress" and/or "peeler" like "pillaw" (Southern accent).

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It depends on the market Jul 11, 2008

José, you are working on different type of subtitle projects most of the time, in a different environment.

I commented on the post, because when these films are translated officially, in other words ordered by the studios, handled by a subtitle agency, and paid for, these scripts would be available for the translators.

In fact, many years ago, I translated 6 or 7 of the Star Trek films and countless Star Trek episodes. The English subtitles were prepared, because in E
... See more
José, you are working on different type of subtitle projects most of the time, in a different environment.

I commented on the post, because when these films are translated officially, in other words ordered by the studios, handled by a subtitle agency, and paid for, these scripts would be available for the translators.

In fact, many years ago, I translated 6 or 7 of the Star Trek films and countless Star Trek episodes. The English subtitles were prepared, because in Europe these translations are "industrialised": the translations are done at the same time into 12-18 languages. It makes practical and financial sense.

As usual, we also got the scripts. Having a number of translators working on the same material at about the same time, when somebody has any suspicion of a mistake in the script or prepared subtitle, it can be checked, re-checked and verified, and you can't dispute it when a dozen people agrees, and it makes sense. I can't remember one case when I was unhappy with the final version.

What I didn't mention so far that those Star Trek scripts were on the net for a very long time.
I don’t know much about the others, but I imagine, those would have been also pretty quick to appear after the films were screened or broadcast.
Collapse

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
I like to have a script for reference, but... Aug 11, 2008

I've found so many basic errors in scripts over the years, from mishearings to spelling mistakes that I just don't trust them. It's OK to have one as a back-up if your soundtrack is of poor quality, but I would never rely on one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An interesting compilation of scripts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »