"Special" price for Trados 2011 - should I be wary?
Thread poster: Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 05:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 25, 2012

Hello,

I've been using SDL Trados Studio 2009 for a while (courtesy of one of my customers) and did not really think of upgrading, at least not any time soon.

Today I got a letter from an agency I don't know much about - I am on their database but did not have a chance to do any job for them as of yet. To cut it short, they offered me to buy Trados 2011 for about 35% of the regular retail price ("We would like to encourage you to start using SDL Trados Studio 2011. We c
... See more
Hello,

I've been using SDL Trados Studio 2009 for a while (courtesy of one of my customers) and did not really think of upgrading, at least not any time soon.

Today I got a letter from an agency I don't know much about - I am on their database but did not have a chance to do any job for them as of yet. To cut it short, they offered me to buy Trados 2011 for about 35% of the regular retail price ("We would like to encourage you to start using SDL Trados Studio 2011. We currently have more translation work requiring SDL Trados Studio 2011 than we have translators using it. For this reason, we have organized a group buying for our translators.")

I am supposed to pay money to the agency, while "the license will be issued directly from SDL." What do you think - does it look like a legitimate arrangement? Is it normally done this way, or is it an offer I should be wary about? Thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I know of one such deal... Oct 25, 2012

... which has been discussed here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/234073-translatednet_deal_on_studio_freelance.html

If this is the same company, then I guess it is all legit. There are some other pointers in that thread which might be useful.

Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Oct 25, 2012

Thank you for the link, Steven!
It looks like I do have now all the answers I needed ))
Might as well go for it, as the savings are good enough.

[Edited at 2012-10-26 08:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Special" price for Trados 2011 - should I be wary?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »