Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever had to submit your passport as part of onboarding for a client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Disagree! Aug 5, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

If it is really necessary to use the word "onboarding" at all, it should only be used to refer to employees, as a simple web search will confirm.

Thus the phrase "onboarding for a client" is incorrect usage. Anybody who is a freelancer and acquires a new client is not an employee, so the term is not appropriate.

This is supposed to be a site for linguists. Can the people who post these polls not check their language and usage before posting?

I don't see anything wrong with the term. It is widely used, readily understood and fills a gap. It isn't used exclusively for employees.

There are many modern idioms and usages I don't particularly like, but surely as linguists we should use our eyes and ears rather than rely on our own preferences and prejudices. So I might be deafened by nails being dragged down a blackboard as I do it, but I will definitely reach out and touch base where appropriate.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
German to English
Yes Aug 5, 2022

It wasn't part of the general hiring procedure, but an existing client got a contract from a US government agency which required proof of citizenship. I had no qualms about submitting a copy of my passport.

I might mention that images of passports, like university diplomas, are freely available on the Internet. If I weren't so lazy I'd copy some and use an image editor to create diplomas of universities more prestigious than the ones I actually attended.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:35
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Aug 5, 2022

I may have been asked, but I choose not to work for clients who insist.

I believe I missed out on a job once because I was not a Danish citizen at the time - it was highly confidential - but I might have turned it down myself if I had seen the text. I am not sure it was within my scope.
I was still not asked to show my passport, and for most jobs my citizenship is irrelevant.

For tax and residence purposes my VAT number in the Danish companies register (CVR) shoul
... See more
I may have been asked, but I choose not to work for clients who insist.

I believe I missed out on a job once because I was not a Danish citizen at the time - it was highly confidential - but I might have turned it down myself if I had seen the text. I am not sure it was within my scope.
I was still not asked to show my passport, and for most jobs my citizenship is irrelevant.

For tax and residence purposes my VAT number in the Danish companies register (CVR) should be enough.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever had to submit your passport as part of onboarding for a client?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »