Thread poster: F Bossard
Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 22:54
Italian to English
+ ...
Doing the rest Sep 12, 2021

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

But it's just a matter of time (a little time) that most SMBs (large companies started a dozen of years ago) will start using an internal MT, then asking LPs to do the rest

I tried something like this with my local hairdresser (Acconciature Marinella), chopping off bits here and there (where there was any) with a nail scissors, then asking her to apply the heavy tech and just "do the rest" for a discount... but no luck there yet!

Hans Lenting
Abba Storgen (X)
Bernhard Sulzer

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Rates per hour for MTPE Dec 13, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Light post-editing: This involves taking the raw MT output and performing as few modifications as possible to the text in order to make the translation understandable, factually accurate, and grammatically correct. The key phrases for light post-editing are “factual correctness” and “good enough”.

Full post-editing: Full post-editing, a slower and more in-depth pass, must produce absolutely accurate translations that consistently use correct and approved terminology, have the appropriate tone and style, have no stylistic inconsistencies and variations, and are free from any grammatical mistakes. After this edit, the translation should read as if written in the target language. The expectation is high: full post-edited content must be equal to human translation in all aspects. Therefore, content must meet the quality criteria defined by the client for human translations.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-01-09 20:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-09 22:10 GMT]

Hi Jean , I missed your reply, sorry

Just a couple of considerations:

1 - you mention a niche example that is TAUS, while I mention the real world of the regular market

2 - the kind of "Full post-editing" you speak about is a total nonsense, because it kills one of the reasons why MT was developed, that is not making a human output

It sounds to me as a cheat by TAUS forcing translators to become hamsters in a wheel, so I agree with you that this service must be paid as a regular revision rate

But if you read my example, you'll understand that the "Full post-editing" I mentioned is different

[Edited at 2021-12-13 13:51 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Rates per hour for MTPE Dec 13, 2021

Tony Keily wrote:
I tried something like this with my local hairdresser (Acconciature Marinella), chopping off bits here and there (where there was any) with a nail scissors, then asking her to apply the heavy tech and just "do the rest" for a discount... but no luck there yet!

sorry if I disagree, but comparing apples with bananas is not a scientifical approach, so useless for any serious reasoning

Think rather to horse shoers when the first cars appeared in the market...
or, coming to modern times, think to the Japanes robotics that has already human-like robots to assist old people

https://time.com/longform/senior-care-robot/
and
https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/coronavirus-fighting-robots-and-drones-idUSRTX7HZF6

my 2 cents of a machine

[Edited at 2021-12-13 14:02 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
@Claudio Dec 13, 2021

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Light post-editing: This involves taking the raw MT output and performing as few modifications as possible to the text in order to make the translation understandable, factually accurate, and grammatically correct. The key phrases for light post-editing are “factual correctness” and “good enough”.

Full post-editing: Full post-editing, a slower and more in-depth pass, must produce absolutely accurate translations that consistently use correct and approved terminology, have the appropriate tone and style, have no stylistic inconsistencies and variations, and are free from any grammatical mistakes. After this edit, the translation should read as if written in the target language. The expectation is high: full post-edited content must be equal to human translation in all aspects. Therefore, content must meet the quality criteria defined by the client for human translations.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-01-09 20:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-09 22:10 GMT]

Hi Jean , I missed your reply, sorry

Just a couple of considerations:

1 - you mention a niche example that is TAUS, while I mention the real world of the regular market

2 - the kind of "Full post-editing" you speak about is a total nonsense, because it kills one of the reasons why MT was developed, that is not making a human output

It sounds to me as a cheat by TAUS forcing translators to become hamsters in a wheel, so I agree with you that this service must be paid as a regular revision rate

But if you read my example, you'll understand that the "Full post-editing" I mentioned is different

[Edited at 2021-12-13 13:51 GMT]

Thank you for answering, Claudio.

Actually, the "definition" of light and full postediting was taken from Moravia's website (now RWS, the translation agency that also acquired SDL): https://alpha.rws.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-light-and-full-post-editing

In other words, it is a definition used by one of the "real market" leaders, not just some theoreticians.

TAUS guidelines can be found here: https://www.taus.net/academy/best-practices/postedit-best-practices/machine-translation-post-editing-guidelines

My own knowledge of the market seems to point that most MTPE being practiced today is full postediting (in the ), ie. the goal is to achieve an output (broadly) on par with human translation. Not "good enough", light postediting, mostly for internal use. In other words, linguists who are practicing MTPE are being asked to provide full postediting most of the time. I will open a new thread to check this assumption.

As I said in my first post, there is no such thing as “post-editing” without specifying the quality expectations. The same goes when applying pricing considerations.

In that respect, MTPE is not unlike translation: context is everything.

And practitioners would be well advised to gain a good grasp of the service(s) they are offering (or being asked to offer) to their agency clients.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha - Muphry's Law Dec 15, 2021

Holger Laux wrote:

.... I am not able to let mistgakes pass and rather feel compelled to correct them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per hour for MTPE

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »