What is the best website platform for creating your own site to market your services
Thread poster: Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
German to English
Dec 23, 2022

I'm about to embark on a 1 hour YouTube video explaining how to build a site using Squarespace. WordPress has also been recommended to me. What do people think the best choice is? Either Squarespace or WordPress or something else? I want to keep things fairly simple right now in terms of website functionality.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 11:10
English to Finnish
+ ...
IONOS 1&1 Dec 24, 2022

They have templates that you can use. Very easy to design your own website. No different than any copy and past. If you change your mind about contents, it is also very easy to make changes. Many nice features, like keeping a count of visitors.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Conor Dec 24, 2022

Conor Murphy wrote:
I'm about to embark on a 1 hour YouTube video explaining how to build a site using Squarespace. WordPress has also been recommended to me.

If you want to design a simple website using such a tool, then you can use any of a variety of options out there. Each product's user interface would be slightly different, however, so each time you switch to a different provider, you'd have to relearn some tasks. On the other hand, the basic principles remain the same, so even if you first experiment with e.g. Jimdo and later decide to go with e.g. Wordpress, your knowledge gained while editing in Jimdo will help you get the required result in Wordpress easier.

Here is a site that reviews some of the various options:
https://www.tooltester.com/en/best-website-builder/
I suggest you view all of the videos on that page (they're all quite short), and then you can click through to the individual reviews of each system where they sometimes offer a longer video demonstration of the system.

Dalia Nour
Aisha Hussein

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Odoo Website Builder Dec 26, 2022

Conor Murphy wrote:

I want to keep things fairly simple right now in terms of website functionality.

Free hosting on Odoo domain and free SW applications.

https://www.odoo.com/

BUILD STUNNING WEBSITES

Website Builder Website Builder

eCommerce

https://www.odoo.com/app/website

Odoo: Open Source Business Apps

On YouTube are many videos.

Milan

Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all of those suggestions .... Dec 28, 2022

.... now it just comes down to doing the work

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
I know I am biased because I also write software, but... Dec 29, 2022

For a very basic site (a few static pages and no fancy visual effects), site creation platforms may do more harm than help: popular ones, especially Wordpress, are among favourite targets of hackers (script kiddies, to be precise), and the platforms themselves are sometimes fairly cryptic to a naïve site owner-to-be. There are simpler and friendlier tools available. Even Word or Powerpoint can be used to publish HTML files. Those with programming skills can take it one step further and write so... See more
For a very basic site (a few static pages and no fancy visual effects), site creation platforms may do more harm than help: popular ones, especially Wordpress, are among favourite targets of hackers (script kiddies, to be precise), and the platforms themselves are sometimes fairly cryptic to a naïve site owner-to-be. There are simpler and friendlier tools available. Even Word or Powerpoint can be used to publish HTML files. Those with programming skills can take it one step further and write some raw HTML and raw Javascript. Such a site will happily run on the tiniest of all servers; for example, I have two sites running on the Wi-Fi router at my home.Collapse

Tom in London
Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best website platform for creating your own site to market your services

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »