wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:07
Chinese to English
+ ...
Plenty offensive to me Jan 14, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

Seems to me the ProZ Chinese forum is a bit too conservative. Too much criticism and too little tolerance here.

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black!

Call it disgusting or whatever, you cannot ignore this trend in the development of the Chinese language.

IMO, we should never think of any language usage as "disgusting", as long as it is not intended to disgust us.

So instead of accusing, why not be more open-minded and try this:

And with no offence, with "屌丝" appearing on the People's Daily, I really see why we as translators shouldn't be more tolerant. Translation is not a leisurely job, why not just laugh it off and have some fun?

Enough said.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Lecturing others Jan 14, 2014

Try this:

--你这是赤裸裸的鄙视我!
--错,我是华丽丽的无视你!

My whole objection was the use of 赤果果,not 赤裸裸. And no one said you have to agree with me.

Of course I am not happy with your sanctimonious speech. That's typically how bad blood is created in a forum. But like J.H. suggested, I'll let it pass.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
一点评论 Jan 14, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

--你这是赤裸裸的鄙视我!
--错,我是华丽丽的无视你!

单就语言的使用来说,我觉得“你这是赤裸裸地鄙视我!”是没问题的。不过,“我是华丽丽的无视你!”的确说不通。“华丽丽”措辞本身就不太合适,更不用说修饰“无视你”了。

当今汉语的运用比较杂乱,有的完全到了失范的地步。

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
It should be "赤果果" Jan 14, 2014

Sorry for the typo, I was supposed to write "赤果果".

I never intended to make this personal, and forgive me if I have made you think so. All I am saying is, some people might be get mad at the weird and seemingly obscene new words or phrases, but the fact is, when a certain word of phrase of this kind gradually gains popularity, there is always something behind that justifies its existence.

Just ignore me if you continue to think I am pretending to be a saint or so
... See more
Sorry for the typo, I was supposed to write "赤果果".

I never intended to make this personal, and forgive me if I have made you think so. All I am saying is, some people might be get mad at the weird and seemingly obscene new words or phrases, but the fact is, when a certain word of phrase of this kind gradually gains popularity, there is always something behind that justifies its existence.

Just ignore me if you continue to think I am pretending to be a saint or something. I am simply a 屌丝, and can never qualify for such a high-caliber discussion on language and culture.

wherestip wrote:

Try this:

--你这是赤裸裸的鄙视我!
--错,我是华丽丽的无视你!

My whole objection was the use of 赤果果,not 赤裸裸. And no one said you have to agree with me.

Of course I am not happy with your sanctimonious speech. That's typically how bad blood is created in a forum. But like J.H. suggested, I'll let it pass.
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Still a lot to learn Jan 14, 2014

You can be disgusted at something that is not necessarily revolting or disgusting.

You can be sanctimonious without having anything to do with a saint.

[Edited at 2014-01-14 21:57 GMT]

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not Necessarily Jan 14, 2014

或许我的年龄比论坛里大多数人的年龄要小,因此所接触的和各位也不同。之前言辞如有冒犯,还请各位见谅。

对于此类词汇,我一直觉得是“为生活添色彩”的。既然是论坛,而且是语言类论坛,就要能够包容不同的语言表达。我记得很清楚另一个贴子里对“拜堂口”的各种批判,这种风气我不习惯。如果论坛规则说:不允许使用流行网络词汇,OK,那自然是违规�
... See more
或许我的年龄比论坛里大多数人的年龄要小,因此所接触的和各位也不同。之前言辞如有冒犯,还请各位见谅。

对于此类词汇,我一直觉得是“为生活添色彩”的。既然是论坛,而且是语言类论坛,就要能够包容不同的语言表达。我记得很清楚另一个贴子里对“拜堂口”的各种批判,这种风气我不习惯。如果论坛规则说:不允许使用流行网络词汇,OK,那自然是违规的。但既无此规则,为什么有人冒出一个大家不太习惯的词语,就横加指责?

对于这种网络语言的狂欢现象,已经有一些国内的语言学者在研究。既然这里是一个较为正式的翻译论坛,为什么不能从更客观、学术的角度看待此问题?我之所以说感觉这里比较“保守”,原因就在于此。对于偶尔出现的网络词语的指责,让我在这里感到压抑。

关于“屌丝”一词,贴一篇正式的学术论文。各位有兴趣的可以看一下:
《对屌丝群体的网络话语狂欢现象的社会成因分析——基于社会交换论的视角》
http://www.docin.com/p-694193227.html

J.H. Wang wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

--你这是赤裸裸的鄙视我!
--错,我是华丽丽的无视你!

单就语言的使用来说,我觉得“你这是赤裸裸地鄙视我!”是没问题的。不过,“我是华丽丽的无视你!”的确说不通。“华丽丽”措辞本身就不太合适,更不用说修饰“无视你”了。

当今汉语的运用比较杂乱,有的完全到了失范的地步。
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
FWIW Jan 14, 2014

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/disgusted

dis‧gust‧ed

very annoyed or upset by something that is not acceptable:

Disgusted onlookers claimed the driver was more concerned about his car than about the victim.

disgusted at/by/with
Most locals are disgusted by the anti-foreigner violence.
disgusted that
Animal welfare workers were disgusted that anyone could do this to a puppy.

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/sanctimonious

sanc‧ti‧mo‧ni‧ous

behaving as if you are morally better than other people, in a way that is annoying - used to show disapproval:

sanctimonious politicians preaching about family values

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
accuse & 横加指责 Jan 14, 2014

Strong words, don't you think?

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
按当今的说法 Jan 14, 2014

拍拍砖而已。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
讨论语言问题时的不同观点 Jan 14, 2014

wherestip wrote:

按当今的说法

拍拍砖而已。

Well, maybe not. I've never claimed that I was up to snuff on the Internet terminology of today's new-fangled Chinese.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
自由讨论 Jan 14, 2014

IMO,对于语言现象可以自由探讨,只要别意气用事就行。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
对汉语的污染 Jan 14, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

You might as well say the people who mock themselves as "屌丝" are totally helpless.
Thank you.

ysun wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

And with no offence, with "屌丝" appearing on the People's Daily, I really don't see why we as translators shouldn't be more tolerant.

这种下流名词现在竟然成了时髦名词了。在《非诚勿扰》节目上,不但男主持人拿这种下流名词形容某女嘉宾,连某些女嘉宾都稀里糊涂地用它来形容自己。如果连人民日报也使用这种下流名词,那么这个国家的媒体就确实不可救药了!

这些人最好先查查词典,搞清楚那两个字是什么意思,然后再往自己身上披。否则,就无异于穿了一件“皇帝的新衣”。

那些不伦不类网络话语的出现固然有其社会背景。但我个人认为,那是对汉语的一种污染,就像雾霾一样。不能因为它具有一定的普遍性,就认为其合理。

这个论坛是翻译工作者、语言工作者的论坛。我们对自己的标准是否应该定得高一些呢?再者,这个网站是国际网站,不是某一国家的网站。我们在此发言措词时,是否也应该照顾一下其它国家翻译工作者的感受呢?

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:07
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
没有那么严重啦 Jan 14, 2014

ysun wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

And with no offence, with "屌丝" appearing on the People's Daily, I really don't see why we as translators shouldn't be more tolerant.

这种下流名词现在竟然成了时髦名词了。在《非诚勿扰》节目上,不但男主持人拿这种下流名词形容某女嘉宾,连某些女嘉宾都稀里糊涂地用它来形容自己。如果连人民日报也使用这种下流名词,那么这个国家的媒体就确实不可救药了!

流行词这东西是挺麻烦的。以前听上去很尖端的东西现在听上去可能很可笑,反之亦然。

其实最重要的还是用者知道这个字的本来意思。就我本人来说,因为母语不是普通话,我看"屌丝"这两个字我只知道第一个字是下流的(广东话里骂人就经常出现),但老实说两个字放在一起的时候我就会用新的看法来理解这东西。第一次看到这个字,我也先去网上看了一下,理解一下出处。

For example, pussycat 这一字在50-70年代美国是很普通不过的英语,现在你要是说这个....额,意义已经完全不同了。

对于媒体使用某些词来说,我个人的pet peeve还是倾向错别字和白字多一些。一个男的以"屌丝"来形容一个女的,当然不当。我个人认为,笨蛋也知道这字内含粗言,要用没问题,可用于女生究竟不合适 (不是不可以,而是肯定有更好和这个一样的同义词,专门形容女生的)。找不到一个更好的同义词,一个主持只能说是不够理解网络文化,或是认为使用这个词很有趣,当然这并不是人人都赞同的。

从传统的角度来看,当代汉语使用当然在没落中,但其实所有语言也是,尤其是英语。网络的发展、短讯使用什么的,同音同义字的玩法什么,都把很多传统的东西抹去。可语言本来就是用来使用的,用来沟通的,其实这些东西有改变是无可避免的。与其为此生气,愚见认为,作为翻译工作者,我们有责任帮助阐释这些流行语的出处,让使用者理解更多这词的由来和使用。

责任这个词语可能听上去比较夸张,我的脑袋今天转不过来,呵呵呵。

还有想和大家分享一个很有意思的视频,和这话题有关
What is language and why does it matter? by Noam Chomsky (2013)(传译员也干得很不错,大赞一个)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDc34AXWIls

有争议的话题自然会让大家比较激动,可是我觉得Yuliang没说错啊。流行词这个东西是挡不住的,就算再不喜欢也无可奈何。最重要的是我们做这个工作时必须知道自己的定位,知道应如何使用(或不使用)这词,那最重要。

[Edited at 2014-01-14 21:31 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:07
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
加一個例子 Jan 14, 2014

說到流行用詞含義不當這個話題,我突然想起一個很好的例子,和大家分享一下。

以下直接貼“收皮”一詞的意思:

收皮是香港較粗俗的用語,意思是叫人住口或滾蛋,近似「收檔」。此詞相信來自番攤賭檔,現時澳門各大賭場仍沿用收皮作為關閉賭枱(Closing Game)的用語,不論是外資或當地的賭場,皆用在各種博�
... See more
說到流行用詞含義不當這個話題,我突然想起一個很好的例子,和大家分享一下。

以下直接貼“收皮”一詞的意思:

收皮是香港較粗俗的用語,意思是叫人住口或滾蛋,近似「收檔」。此詞相信來自番攤賭檔,現時澳門各大賭場仍沿用收皮作為關閉賭枱(Closing Game)的用語,不論是外資或當地的賭場,皆用在各種博戲的賭枱之上。

http://evchk.wikia.com/wiki/收皮

但其實收皮一詞有個挺雅的出處,說是以前的(大型)賭檔通常會掛一塊虎皮。如果遇事了,要緊急把檔子收起來,虎皮是命根子,是一定要先收起來才能逃的,因此有收皮一詞。其他說法,大家可以去那個網站一看。

這詞流行了多久我不知道,雖然出處也不是很超然(畢竟和賭業有關),但現在無容置疑的就是這詞已經降班為粗俗的用語了。

[Edited at 2014-01-14 21:56 GMT]
Collapse

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
拜堂口 Jan 15, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

我记得很清楚另一个贴子里对“拜堂口”的各种批判,这种风气我不习惯。如果论坛规则说:不允许使用流行网络词汇,OK,那自然是违规的。但既无此规则,为什么有人冒出一个大家不太习惯的词语,就横加指责?

Kenneth Woo wrote:

首先,歡迎Huawei來到Proz。不過恕在下冒昧。Proz並非幫會,“拜堂口”這類詞還是不用為妙。

[Edited at 2013-11-30 09:17 GMT]

Kenneth Woo wrote:
大家都是知識份子,我也算半個,而「拜堂口」一詞則江湖味太濃,於大家身份恐不合,所以我建議Huawei「不用為妙」。當然,此乃一己淺見,如有人喜歡該詞,我也無權干涉。

兄台嚴重了,我不過好言提醒一下而已,並無指責之意。

網絡詞語今日大行其道,並堂而皇之進入媒體,確非三兩人所能左右,將來或許能升格為書面語也未可知,但跟你有權維護它一樣,別人也有不喜歡甚至批判它的權利。

網絡詞語之流行,原因無非是壓力大,生活無聊,標新立異者尋樂而已。這倒也無可厚非,不過把這些詞用在正經的文章中,我是無論如何受不了的。但別人還是可以這麼寫,只是我不會去看罷了。

我這裡想說明的一點是說話要看對象、場合。想像一下奧巴馬在會議上問習近平:“習童鞋,你腫麼看?“這不是說我們的論壇必須嚴肅非常,輕鬆快樂的討論甚至耍耍幽默並不非得勞駕”童鞋"、“腫麼了”、“神馬”、“吃飯ing"、”LP"、"out了“、"hold住”這類詞不可。

[Edited at 2014-01-15 08:06 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

行万里路,译万字书--freelancer's lifestyle

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »