China
Local time: 12:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
法律翻译价格似应比普通材料多收 30%-50%乃至更高 Jan 1, 2016

tanglsus wrote:

法律翻译: 笔译时如耕田播种, 一字一词一个概念, 万虑后果, 口译时则谨守中立, 不与任何方套近乎。

为了表达准确、严密,法律文件的句子往往限定语多,结构复杂,读起来绕口,理解起来也费劲,翻译起来比普通的材料多花很多时间,因此,我觉得收费应该高一些。

另外,我觉得翻译起来比较费时间的题材还有旅游、营销、医学。不知道各位是否有同感?

[Edited at 2016-01-01 15:23 GMT]

Nick Xu

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
I don't know about "cattle kit"? Jan 3, 2016

coolfool wrote:

Go toe-to-toe with an endless barrage of bum raps coldheartedly
Go on all fours in cattle kit at kid's back and call wholeheartedly

... should be beck and call.

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
You're right Jan 3, 2016

wherestip wrote:

coolfool wrote:

... should be beck and call.

Much obliged for your catching and informing me of my slip of the pen.

Unable to edit what I'd written, though having tried in vain to, most probably as the new kid on the block.

As to kit, it means, if I don't get it wrong, U n. BrE clothing or equipment used for a particular purpose Ex: The team wore their new kit. Ex: cricket / football / sports kit. One more example I bumped some years ago into is Ex: Lawrence was in full Arab kit. - p561, Lawrence of Arabia – The Authorised Biography of T. E. Lawrence by Jeremy Wilson, Minerva 1989

Do more, err more; a saying goes, do less, err less; do nothing, err nothing.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:47
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
.. Jan 3, 2016

coolfool wrote:

Unable to edit what I'd written, though having tried in vain to, most probably as the new kid on the block.

There's an edit button with every post a user publishes. Simply click on that button and you'll be able to edit the content. Hope that helps

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
一点想法 Jan 3, 2016

coolfool wrote:

[修改时间: 2016-01-02 08:29 GMT]

老实说,总体上我觉得译得相当精彩,尤其是上联。下联的 in cattle kit 感觉似乎不太通,可否改为:like a cattle?请教大家。

[Edited at 2016-01-04 04:42 GMT]

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Grateful for your help Jan 4, 2016

Rita Pang wrote:

coolfool wrote:

There's an edit button with every post a user publishes. Simply click on that button and you'll be able to edit the content. Hope that helps

The seemingly self-evident Edit icon mentioned on the screen seems at my fingertips, somehow proceeding with my little job was still rejected. There was a message left behind I'm now unable to recall.

No big deal, come what may. Washing my dirty linen in public may benefit all, I believe.

With my best wishes,

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
The word "cattle" Jan 4, 2016

J.H. Wang wrote:

... 可否改为:like a cattle?请教大家。

J.H.,

In terms of the bovine as a draft animal(a.k.a., beast of burden), it's probably better to use the word "ox" (plural: oxen) instead. For the case of what you're suggesting, the phrase would then be "like an ox".

Besides, the term "cattle" is typically uncountable. So to be grammatically correct (for singular), you would need to say something like "a head of cattle", although one of the following links doesn't even recommend that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

Singular terminology issue

Cattle can only be used in the plural and not in the singular: it is a plurale tantum.[25] Thus one may refer to "three cattle" or "some cattle", but not "one cattle". No universally used singular form in modern English of "cattle" exists, other than the sex- and age-specific terms such as cow, bull, steer and heifer. Historically, "ox" was not a sex-specific term for adult cattle, but generally this is now used only for draft cattle, especially adult castrated males. The term is also incorporated into the names of other species, such as the musk ox and "grunting ox" (yak), and is used in some areas to describe certain cattle products such as ox-hide and oxtail.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

The word "head" is used by farmers when they count the number of cattle that they own. A farmer might say "My land runs 5,000 head of cattle." A "head" means one, but the term "one head of cattle" is not usually used. It is easier to say "one cow".

[Edited at 2016-01-05 00:41 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you Steve for pointing this out! Jan 5, 2016

wherestip wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

... 可否改为:like a cattle?请教大家。

J.H.,

In terms of the bovine as a draft animal(a.k.a., beast of burden), it's probably better to use the word "ox" (plural: oxen) instead. For the case of what you're suggesting, the phrase would then be "like an ox".

Besides, the term "cattle" is typically uncountable. So to be grammatically correct (for singular), you would need to say something like "a head of cattle", although one of the following links doesn't even recommend that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

Singular terminology issue

Cattle can only be used in the plural and not in the singular: it is a plurale tantum.[25] Thus one may refer to "three cattle" or "some cattle", but not "one cattle". No universally used singular form in modern English of "cattle" exists, other than the sex- and age-specific terms such as cow, bull, steer and heifer. Historically, "ox" was not a sex-specific term for adult cattle, but generally this is now used only for draft cattle, especially adult castrated males. The term is also incorporated into the names of other species, such as the musk ox and "grunting ox" (yak), and is used in some areas to describe certain cattle products such as ox-hide and oxtail.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

The word "head" is used by farmers when they count the number of cattle that they own. A farmer might say "My land runs 5,000 head of cattle." A "head" means one, but the term "one head of cattle" is not usually used. It is easier to say "one cow".

[Edited at 2016-01-05 00:41 GMT]

I'm sorry for such a gross mistake due to my ignorance and carelessness!

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Flattered Jan 5, 2016

J.H. Wang wrote:

coolfool wrote:

[修改时间: 2016-01-02 08:29 GMT]

老实说,总体上我觉得译得相当精彩,尤其是上联。下联的 in cattle kit 感觉似乎不太通,可否改为:like a cattle?请教大家。

[Edited at 2016-01-04 04:42 GMT]

Your encouraging remark is highly appreciated.

I'd appreciate it even more if you'd be more specific about 不通, so that I'd rewrite, modify, and/or improve it accordingly.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mass Nouns Jan 5, 2016

J.H. Wang wrote:

Thank you Steve for pointing this out!

You're welcome, J.H..

No need to be sorry. IMO, the purpose of a professional forum is to benefit the users. If everyone keeps quiet, those who aren't clear on something may likely remain so. So I think your raising an issue like this is great.

Incidentally, a few days ago I came across the use of the term "another B.S.". Nobody ever spoke up; since I don't post in that forum, neither did I. In this instance, to be grammatically correct, one needs to say "another piece of B.S.".

http://grammar.about.com/od/pq/g/pluraleterm.htm

[Edited at 2016-01-06 14:27 GMT]

tanglsus
tanglsus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
irregular English nouns and Latin declensions Jan 5, 2016

Great link, wherestip. I've bookmarked it for further reading, and thank you.

A lot of the noun forms are derived from the declensions in Latin, adopted and still used today in English as exhibited in some of the irregular nouns.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/declining-a-latin-noun.html

供参考

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Ox, Cattle, and Others Jan 6, 2016

1. We, I to be more specific, ain’t conscious exactly of what 孺子牛 really was and of how it was actually performed.

2. Stumble occasionally across a few kids next door on and off the backs of their fathers, stooped forward and downward on the wooden floor, dressed up as neither fish nor fowl, but as they are, excited and yelling along with their mothers egging them on on the sidelines. Whether or not it has anything to do with 孺子牛, I ain’t any the wiser. What’s more
... See more
1. We, I to be more specific, ain’t conscious exactly of what 孺子牛 really was and of how it was actually performed.

2. Stumble occasionally across a few kids next door on and off the backs of their fathers, stooped forward and downward on the wooden floor, dressed up as neither fish nor fowl, but as they are, excited and yelling along with their mothers egging them on on the sidelines. Whether or not it has anything to do with 孺子牛, I ain’t any the wiser. What’s more, it can also be deemed in a sense to be tamed horse, if not toothless tiger, instead of cattle, ox, or whatever.

3. Given the above-mentioned reason, or reasons, I tried successfully or not to avoid being particular with fuzzy handling in this context in a broader sense.

4. According to New Oxford English Dictionary,
4.1 Ox, pl. oxen, means
4.1.1 a domesticated bovine animal kept for milk or meat; a cow or bull. See Cattle (sense 1);
4.1.2 a castrated male of this, formerly much used as a draught animal: [as modifier] an ox cart; and
4.1.3 an animal of a group related to the domestic ox. See Cattle (sense 2).
4.2 We’re here, you see, referred, not once but twice, to the entry of cattle, like New Oxford Thesaurus Dictionary.
4.3 Cattle, pl. n., is defined as follows:
4.3.1 large ruminant animals with horns and cloven hoofs, domesticated for meat or milk, or as beasts of burden; cows and oxen;
4.3.2 Bos taurus (including the zebu, B. indicus), family Bovidae; descended from the extinct aurochs;
4.3.3 similar animals of a group related to domestic cattle, including yak, bison, and buffaloes; and
4.3.4 Tribe Bovini, family Bovidae (the cattle family): four genera, in particular Bos. The cattle family also includes the sheep, goats, goat-antelopes, and antelopes.
4.4 Apprently, the range of cattle covers ox, as does New Oxford Thesaurus Dictionary.

5. The topic in question is exclusive beyond doubt of other factors, like tone, rhyme, to name a few.

6. Obviously, it ain’t a federal case. If don’t like cattle, choose ox or bull or cow, instead. If hate kit, pick dress or suit, then. All roads, shorter or longer, straight or winding, smooth or rough, lead to Rome.

7. With my tunnel vision, in cattle kit and like [a] cattle ain’t two peas in a pod. In my opinion, like [a] cattle is acceptable. Furthermore, kit ain’t indispensable. How about costume?

8. The second line sounds, at least to me, a bit tongue-tied as kit and kid cram cheek by jowl against each other, whereas the text rolls right off the tongue.

9. Well, let’s now wait and see if the jade would come up, knock on wood.

[修改时间: 2016-01-07 05:44 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

从事口译与笔译之心得体会及教训

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »