Thread poster: Tomás Rosa Bueno
Tomás Rosa Bueno
Tomás Rosa Bueno  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 27, 2004

This is to announce that a Powwow is scheduled for Rio de Janeiro this coming October 21.

Residents, passers-by and compulsive travellers are welcome.

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would like to fit in any of the three categories, actually!!! Sep 27, 2004

Tomás Rosa Bueno wrote:

This is to announce that a Powwow is scheduled for Rio de Janeiro this coming October 21.

Rio de Janeiro is so great!!!

Tomás Rosa Bueno
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree! Sep 27, 2004

mónica alfonso wrote:

Tomás Rosa Bueno wrote:

Rio de Janeiro is so great!!!

Wife is going to a congress in Rio for four days. I, the compulsive travelller par excellence, would never miss an excuse like this. Wife spends the day talking mediaeval history in a dark room in some faraway academic island. Husband spends the day lying on the beach across the street.

Wife and husband go together to powwow at night. How much better can life get?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Green with envy Sep 28, 2004

But I'm going back to school by then (Germanistik). Fond regards to your wife, I didn't know she was a mediaevalist! Sort of got lost in the talk about the dulce de leche, I guess, but mediaeval history is a passion of mine.

Tomás Rosa Bueno
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dulce de leche medieval Oct 8, 2004

Parrot wrote:

But I'm going back to school by then (Germanistik). Fond regards to your wife, I didn't know she was a mediaevalist! Sort of got lost in the talk about the dulce de leche, I guess, but mediaeval history is a passion of mine.

She's actually a printer, and she teaches printing tecniques at the Universidade de Brasília. But her Master's degree was on the influence of mediaeval cartography on the art of printing, and that got her going. Now every time there is a group of mediaevalists meeting somewhere, she's invited -- and I get to go along.

Now this one in Rio is a mini-powwow (we don't expect more than 30 or so people, and after Buenos Aires, this is nothing). The really big one will be in Pirenópolis, in January (http://www.proz.com/powwow/570).

Bring your Germanistik colleagues along!

Tomás Rosa Bueno
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Powwow in Rio - Update Oct 8, 2004

Hello,

the Rio de Janeiro Powwow has now a date and a place. It will be held on Thursday, October 21, from 4 pm, at the Bella Praia Café, inside the Círculo Militar on the Vermelha beach.

This is a picture of the powwow's venue, taken from atop the Sugar Loaf:

[center][img]http://www.urca.net/images/praia5.jpg"[/img]

I'm not sure this little piece of BBCode will work. In case it doesn't, just follow the link. The Bella Praia café is that tin
... See more
Hello,

the Rio de Janeiro Powwow has now a date and a place. It will be held on Thursday, October 21, from 4 pm, at the Bella Praia Café, inside the Círculo Militar on the Vermelha beach.

This is a picture of the powwow's venue, taken from atop the Sugar Loaf:

[center][img]http://www.urca.net/images/praia5.jpg"[/img]

I'm not sure this little piece of BBCode will work. In case it doesn't, just follow the link. The Bella Praia café is that tiny white structure on the leftmost corner of the beach.

Now if this won't make you come, I don't know what would.

Don't forget: October 21, Bella Praia café on the Vermelha beach, starting at 4 pm.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fat chance Oct 16, 2004

Tomás Rosa Bueno wrote:

Bring your Germanistik colleagues along!

Germanistik begins on the 18th of October (and if I keep skipping classes on ProZ.com events, that's practically half the time we're meeting). But printmaking as an activity is so curious. I stopped at viscosity printing (too much work, even for a translator) -- yet, it was this interest that also led me to mediaeval studies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow in Rio de Janeiro - Warm Up for the Buried Coconut MegaPowwow

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »