Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 10:58
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Visa card details for booking Sep 22, 2004

Hello,

I am trying to book a room in a guest house in Oxford through email and they are asking for my Visa card details. Is this customary? It seems rather dangerous to me.

Please advise me on this.

TIA
Dan

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
never had any problem (till now...) Sep 22, 2004

Hi Dan,

it's a normal procedure for bookings online or via e-mail, I have done it tens of times and (till now) nothing has ever happened. I only keep under close control my credit card statements, because I have eventually 16 days for blocking any payment I might judge unduly taken.

Consider that the hotel will have anyway these details when your card is used for paying at the end of your stay...

If you prefer it, you can usually ask to give them on the pho
... See more
Hi Dan,

it's a normal procedure for bookings online or via e-mail, I have done it tens of times and (till now) nothing has ever happened. I only keep under close control my credit card statements, because I have eventually 16 days for blocking any payment I might judge unduly taken.

Consider that the hotel will have anyway these details when your card is used for paying at the end of your stay...

If you prefer it, you can usually ask to give them on the phone - but I don't know whether it's worth a call from Romania...

Gilda
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thanks Sep 24, 2004

Thank you Gilda,

Not easy to find something convenient.

Gilda Manara wrote:

Hi Dan,

If you prefer it, you can usually ask to give them on the phone - but I don't know whether it's worth a call from Romania...

Gilda

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Five Mile View Oct 14, 2004

I've just booked a double room at this guest house. When I spoke to them last night, they still had 3 more double rooms available.

Before I book my train tickets, I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about the programme, as I probably won't be able to attend for all of Sunday. When are you planning to post the actual detailed programme of events?

Elbia Vega
Elbia Vega  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Help with hotel information Nov 2, 2004

Greetings to all,

I need your kind help and advise in recommending accomodations in London, Bath & Oxford. I am traveling from Miami and will take advantage of the conference to spend a few days in England.

Thank you.

Elbia Vega

[Edited at 2004-11-02 15:41]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I need a room Nov 2, 2004

I have already paid to attend the conference and have gotten a plane ticket. All I need now is a room. Are there any single rooms left that are nearby?

Edward

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Cheap hotel found Nov 10, 2004

I already booked a double room at this hotel:

http://www.hostelbookers.com/booking/index.cfm?hostel=4128&affiliate=cha

40 pounds per night for an ensuite double room in central Oxford.
Before booking this room, I made an extensive search on other available options, but everything else started at 65 or 70 pounds.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Next one Nov 10, 2004

I've booked a twin ensuite here:
http://www.nanfordguesthouse.com/index.htm
The price is 40 punds per room, including breakfast.
They state to be 5 walking minutes from the university...

Regards
Jerzy

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Same one Nov 10, 2004

Czesc Jerzy,

I think we will stay at the same place. The URL I gave is a link at a hotel booking agency, but the name of the hotel is Nanford as you wrote.

We will arrive by bus from Stansted airport around noon.

Csaba

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
That's what I call great news! Nov 10, 2004

So we will meet there.
My daughter and me stay there at Saturday night, comming in the morning from Brighton.

It's great.
Cheers
Jerzy

Shekhar Phatak
Shekhar Phatak  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:28
German to English
+ ...
I also booked a room at Nanford Guest House Nov 19, 2004

Hello all!

Thanks to the link provided on this forum, I was able to book a room at Nanford Guest House. The only problem is that I booked a double room instead of a single room by mistake. I think I will sort it out once I arrive there. I will be arriving on 26 evening and staying both days.

See you all in Oxford.

Shekhar

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Convention 2004: ACCOMMODATION INFO

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »