Graduate Journal of Social Science - Lost (and Found) in Translation - call for papers
Thread poster: awilliams
awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2008

My better half had this through his e-mail. Thought it might be of interest.

Call for Papers - LOST (AND FOUND) IN TRANSLATION

The Graduate Journal of Social Science (GJSS - www.gjss.org) invites original submissions for its forthcoming special issue entitled "Lost (and Found) in Translation".

Issues relating to language difference and translation are present in social re
... See more
My better half had this through his e-mail. Thought it might be of interest.

Call for Papers - LOST (AND FOUND) IN TRANSLATION

The Graduate Journal of Social Science (GJSS - www.gjss.org) invites original submissions for its forthcoming special issue entitled "Lost (and Found) in Translation".

Issues relating to language difference and translation are present in social research in a variety of ways, and may have significant implications at several levels. They not only pose specific practical and technical challenges, but also raise important and exciting theoretical, epistemological, political and ethical questions about the production of academic knowledge. Therefore, it is crucial to encourage debate about issues of language difference and translation, as they impact on research in the social sciences in general, and on graduate research projects in particular.

Read more here: www.lse.ac.uk/collections/genderInstitute/LAFT/laft.htm.

Amy
Collapse

Marina Khonina
Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks for the link Sep 9, 2008

Thanks, Amy! As a graduate student in the social sciences (and a translator!) I find the topic extremely interesting. I encountered many of these issues in my own research, when I conducted fieldwork in Russian and later had to present my findings in the English language. I also had many opportunities to observe my colleagues conduct research in languages other than their native tongue. All this provides much material for reflection. Perhaps, as translators, we may be able to offer special insig... See more
Thanks, Amy! As a graduate student in the social sciences (and a translator!) I find the topic extremely interesting. I encountered many of these issues in my own research, when I conducted fieldwork in Russian and later had to present my findings in the English language. I also had many opportunities to observe my colleagues conduct research in languages other than their native tongue. All this provides much material for reflection. Perhaps, as translators, we may be able to offer special insight into ways in which language differences influence research and, more generally, academic work.Collapse

islander1974
islander1974
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 10, 2008

Thanks for this great link Amy - let's hope some of us can get published in this journal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Graduate Journal of Social Science - Lost (and Found) in Translation - call for papers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »