Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2008

American Translators Association: 49th Annual Conference

The American Translators Association (ATA) will host their 49th Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida (November 5-8, 2008). This event offers language professionals one of the best opportunities to network with their peers and enhance their skills with beyond-the-book education. The conference will feature a mix of language-specific sessions as well as non-language-specific sessions presented in English.
... See more
American Translators Association: 49th Annual Conference

The American Translators Association (ATA) will host their 49th Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida (November 5-8, 2008). This event offers language professionals one of the best opportunities to network with their peers and enhance their skills with beyond-the-book education. The conference will feature a mix of language-specific sessions as well as non-language-specific sessions presented in English.

Additional Conference events include: Exhibit Hall, Job Marketplace, Welcome Reception, Networking Session, various Division Receptions, and Closing Reception and Dance. Online registration is available at http://www.atanet.org/conf/2008/register.htm.

American Translators Association

49th Annual Conference

Orlando, Florida

November 5-8, 2008

www.atanet.org/conf/2008
Collapse

Susan Zimmer
Susan Zimmer
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Past conferences? Sep 15, 2008

Thanks, Drew!

Is there any information on the success, number of visitors, etc. to past conferences? I'm thinking of attending. Is there a list of Prozians, who have signed up for it?

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Past Conference Sep 15, 2008

I cannot speak as to the experience you would have as a translator. I have attended each of the last 7 conferences as a marketing professional and can give you some feedback in that regard.

The ATA conference typically draws between 1200-1500 attendees. The last really large successful conference was also in Orlando and that location seems to draw a bigger crowd so i would expect a good 1400 attendees again this year, but will ask the ATA liason to chime in to this forum as well.<
... See more
I cannot speak as to the experience you would have as a translator. I have attended each of the last 7 conferences as a marketing professional and can give you some feedback in that regard.

The ATA conference typically draws between 1200-1500 attendees. The last really large successful conference was also in Orlando and that location seems to draw a bigger crowd so i would expect a good 1400 attendees again this year, but will ask the ATA liason to chime in to this forum as well.

There are lots of opportunities to network and many sessions available to translators and companies alike. You even earn continuing education credits towards ATA Accreditation.

This page - http://www.atanet.org/conf/2008/learn.htm has a list of sessions by topic that may be of interest also.

If you will be attending, lets start a list of those attending this year - id like to form a powwow during the conference and this would be a good place to start. We will look to create a better interface to list those that will be attending, but for now just add your name to this thread.

Will attend the ATA conference in November 2008 in Orlando
Drew MacFadyen - ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Susan Zimmer
Susan Zimmer
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
I'm still thinking of attending Oct 16, 2008

...but only for a day or two.

Sorry for responding so late. I didn't realize anyone had answered. I do find it strange that there is no feedback on Proz about these kinds of US activities. I think I'll just post a survey, maybe that will get the conversation going:))

Susan

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Post Conference Update Nov 17, 2008

Thank you to all the ProZians that stopped by and said hello while at the Conference. We had a lot of interested newcomers and even more experienced site users stop by and say hello. We received a good deal of feedback and suggestions, many of which we will be working to implement quickly.

Thank you to the ATA for organizing another great event, and thank you to all of our friends and colleagues, exhibitors and sponsors for making the ATAs 49th annual conference an enjoyable event
... See more
Thank you to all the ProZians that stopped by and said hello while at the Conference. We had a lot of interested newcomers and even more experienced site users stop by and say hello. We received a good deal of feedback and suggestions, many of which we will be working to implement quickly.

Thank you to the ATA for organizing another great event, and thank you to all of our friends and colleagues, exhibitors and sponsors for making the ATAs 49th annual conference an enjoyable event once again.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA 49th Annual Conference in Orlando

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »