How translation brought a language back to life

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "How translation brought a language back to life".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wampanoag Nov 27, 2011

I saw the documentary on PBS. It was fascinating. Before learning the language of her ancestors, she reportedly had a dream in which people were speaking to her in that language. They kept repeating one particular word/phrase that she later learned meant "We still live here."

Then there were the handwritten notes in the language describing the impact of the diseases brought from Europe, the loss of their land, etc. She is truly a remarkable woman.

Excerpt from the doc
... See more
I saw the documentary on PBS. It was fascinating. Before learning the language of her ancestors, she reportedly had a dream in which people were speaking to her in that language. They kept repeating one particular word/phrase that she later learned meant "We still live here."

Then there were the handwritten notes in the language describing the impact of the diseases brought from Europe, the loss of their land, etc. She is truly a remarkable woman.

Excerpt from the documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEj8QrCXzA

[Edited at 2011-11-27 17:16 GMT]
Collapse

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanks for posting stuff like this! Nov 28, 2011

I got little work through proz.com so far (enough to cover the member fee ... ), but what I really appreciate are postings like this one as well as discussions about language issues: they broaden my horizon and keep the interest level up! Language is fascinating

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How translation brought a language back to life

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »