Disaster: Entire target text replaced by source text after unknown key combination. What to do?
Thread poster: Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:42
German to English
Oct 8, 2023

I was working happily on a large file, almost done, when I accidentally hit an unknown key combination. It changed ALL of the target text to the source text. I closed the file immediately without saving. When I reopened it, the source text was still where the target text should be.

I looked for a backup file because it creates a backup every 10 minutes, but I could not find it. Does anyone know where it should be and back the extension is?

How is this even possible?
... See more
I was working happily on a large file, almost done, when I accidentally hit an unknown key combination. It changed ALL of the target text to the source text. I closed the file immediately without saving. When I reopened it, the source text was still where the target text should be.

I looked for a backup file because it creates a backup every 10 minutes, but I could not find it. Does anyone know where it should be and back the extension is?

How is this even possible?

N.B. Oddly enough, the project folder contained the English file, which was only missing the last hour of work, so the loss wasn't that great. I don't understand what happened there though.

[Edited at 2023-10-08 20:21 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Strange Oct 8, 2023

I don't understand what happened there though.

[Edited at 2023-10-08 20:21 GMT]

There is a menu item to reset to source but afaik there’s no keyboard shortcut assigned to it.

It's located here:

And there is a safety check:

[Edited at 2023-10-09 08:31 GMT]

Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:42
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds right Oct 10, 2023

Thanks, Hans. I must have hit a secret key code and maybe, by coincidence, there happened to be an Enter in what I was typing quickly -- without looking at the screen -- and so I confirmed the replacement. Thank you, I didn't know about that feature.

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disaster: Entire target text replaced by source text after unknown key combination. What to do?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »