Transit NXT: Soft license key for desktop computer & laptop?
Thread poster: Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:31
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
May 17, 2010

Dear all,

I'm wondering about buying Transit NXT but would like to clear one doubt before I go on with the purchase: I usually work with a regular desktop computer, but now and then I change and do some assignments with my laptop (when abroad working, etc).

My question regarding TNXT is as follows: If I purchase one license and get one soft license key, will I be able to download this license key two times, one to work with the PC and another to work with the laptop?... See more
Dear all,

I'm wondering about buying Transit NXT but would like to clear one doubt before I go on with the purchase: I usually work with a regular desktop computer, but now and then I change and do some assignments with my laptop (when abroad working, etc).

My question regarding TNXT is as follows: If I purchase one license and get one soft license key, will I be able to download this license key two times, one to work with the PC and another to work with the laptop?

Maybe someone here has already done this and could share his/her experience.

Thank you anyway for your time!

Regards,
Bárbara
Collapse

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:31
German to Croatian
+ ...
No...you need two licences May 17, 2010

Dear Barbara,

I have the same problem as you as I also work on both desktop and laptop. However, if you want to have Transit NXT installed simultaneously on two PCs, you have to purchase two licences. The licence cannot be activated twice - I specifically asked this.

However, the good news ist that you can get 20% off for the 2nd licence. You can ask for it if you decide to buy two licences. You can also rent Transit for one year for less money and then decide if you w
... See more
Dear Barbara,

I have the same problem as you as I also work on both desktop and laptop. However, if you want to have Transit NXT installed simultaneously on two PCs, you have to purchase two licences. The licence cannot be activated twice - I specifically asked this.

However, the good news ist that you can get 20% off for the 2nd licence. You can ask for it if you decide to buy two licences. You can also rent Transit for one year for less money and then decide if you wish to purchase full licence or not.

I currently have my licence installed on my desktop. I could move it to my laptop, but I need it less on the laptop.

I hope this helps you consider all options.

Good luck!
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
moving the activation May 18, 2010

You can install on the laptop, deactivate on the desktop and use the "released" activation on the laptop and then move the activation between PCs as required; however the procedure is quite clumsy and if anything goes wrong between the deactivation and reactivation, you could be left without active NXT until the problem were resolved. I did use this method and never got into that sort of a tight corner, but I was always a bit nervous about that when the project was time-critical (and they all te... See more
You can install on the laptop, deactivate on the desktop and use the "released" activation on the laptop and then move the activation between PCs as required; however the procedure is quite clumsy and if anything goes wrong between the deactivation and reactivation, you could be left without active NXT until the problem were resolved. I did use this method and never got into that sort of a tight corner, but I was always a bit nervous about that when the project was time-critical (and they all tend to be that, don’t they?).

So I also bought another licence for the laptop. I only have the full Pro on the desktop and a "weaker" licence is sufficient for the laptop (at least within my workflow). This weaker licence is less expensive as such, and I got a discount even on that.

Antonin
Collapse

Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:31
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
weaker license? May 19, 2010

Dear Antonín,

thank you for sharing your experience. I just have a question regarding your post: what do you mean by "weaker" license?

I was thinking about buying the "time-limited single-user license" Star is offering on their webshop: I wonder if you meant these time-limited licenses?!

Thank you (and to Ana;-),
Bárbara

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Pro vs. Freelance May 19, 2010

Barbara Santos wrote:

what do you mean by "weaker" license?

Bárbara

I have NXT Professional on the desktop and NXT Freelance on the laptop - there are several differences, the most important one that the Freelance does not create projects from original files. I did not buy a time-limited one, but as a kind of "hire-purchase" it might be a good option (AFIAK if you upgrade to permanent from time-limited, the money already paid is deducted from the new price, or something like that).

Antonin

License for agency and freelance Mar 4, 2011

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

[
I have NXT Professional on the desktop and NXT Freelance on the laptop - there are several differences, the most important one that the Freelance does not create projects from original files. ....

Antonin

So, can we say that NXT pro is similar to (the new version of) transit XV professional, and NXT Freelance is the new version of satellite?
But satellite was free, Freelance costs...
At the moment, I'm using Transit XV pro in a translation agency, sending the project to the freelance, and the freelance (free) use satellite to work on the project: if I upgrade to transit NXT, I should ask to the translator to buy a copy of Freelance?
Is this new version of Transit good enought to pay this extra amount?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Mar 4, 2011

roberto65 wrote:
So, can we say that NXT pro is similar to (the new version of) transit XV professional, and NXT Freelance is the new version of satellite?

Quite so, yes.

But satellite was free, Freelance costs...

This is, unfortunately, true.

At the moment, I'm using Transit XV pro in a translation agency, sending the project to the freelance, and the freelance (free) use satellite to work on the project: if I upgrade to transit NXT, I should ask to the translator to buy a copy of Freelance?

Basically, yes. Or if I can remember correctly, you can buy a plugin for TNXT which will allow you to create outbound projects in the legacy Satellite format. In this workflow, you could create your projects in TNXT and your translators could process them with the old Satellite version. However, I suggest that you clear this one with your local distributor before you decide to purchase.

My experience is that TNXT is a huge improvement and cannot be really compared to the XV version. When it was introduced before Trados Studio and the new versions of MemoQ, Transit NXT was clearly the winner. But now when the developers flood the market with new tools and releases, I am far from being convinced. Especially if you work regularly on DTP formats like InDesign or FrameMaker files, the price of the additional filters will seriously decrease your ROI.

On the other hand, I don't feel like an expert on TNXT, so maybe Antonín could elaborate more on this.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a bit subjective Mar 4, 2011

roberto65 wrote:

It was for me – otherwise I would not have bought it. Overall, I do not care too much for the new "bell-and-whistle philosophy" of NXT, I was much more on the same wavelenghth with those who designed XV, but there are some new features I do like about NXT, such as the immediate spellchecker.

oh, an this one:

roberto65 wrote:

if I upgrade to transit NXT, I should ask to the translator to buy a copy of Freelance?

Well, you can, but you do not have to; and the plugin which enables NXT users to create XV projects comes for free, I believe - at least, I got it for free with the Professional NXT version.

Antonin

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
InDesign/FrameMaker filters Mar 5, 2011

Especially if you work regularly on DTP formats like InDesign or FrameMaker files, the price of the additional filters will seriously decrease your ROI.

But you cannot edit FrameMaker or InDesign projects in WYSIWYG view in MQ or Studio, can you? For me TNXT is still the absolute winner. I'm glad I made the Transition some weeks ago after years of using TXV.

Yes, the Transit filters are expensive, but so is the time I invest in proofreading. If I can do that in my CAT tool, I save time and money. To be honest, I have less problems with the price of these filters than I have with the investment for the originating DTP tools (that you'll have to buy too): I only open them to export the content.

Currently I'm struggling with some SQL related problems (probably related to virtualization) but as soon as they will be solved I'll have a nearly perfect CAT tool (that can even handle SDLXLIFF files seamlessly).

I'm not aware of any other CAT tool that can be customized (via Views, Window settings, Macro and the configuration file Starte.Ini) so much as TNXT. I have carefully created and optimized 2 views: one for translating (very simple) and one for proofreading (with all the WYSIWYG bells). It looks beautiful on a 27" Mac.

What the real problem with STAR is, that they are so big (42 local offices, 950 employees - or something like that) and focussing on BIG (automotive) clients - that they are not interested in assigning someone to participate in user fora like this. I guess investing in such a liaisons officer would do STAR and us very good (and reduce the work load of the Support department). Hands up for a vote, please ...

Hans

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
What do you mean with WISYWIG here? Mar 5, 2011

Hello Hans,
I'm wondering what you mean with WISYWIG here. Does TNXT offer live preview for InDesign and FrameMaker files? If so, that's indeed an advantage, but still hardly worth the money. Otherwise any decent CAT tool will handle INDD (INX, IDML) and MIF files and the filters are included in the purchase price of the tool.

As to customization possibilities, they are practically the same in TNXT, T-Studio or in MemoQ (you can dock and undock windows, have them floating or m
... See more
Hello Hans,
I'm wondering what you mean with WISYWIG here. Does TNXT offer live preview for InDesign and FrameMaker files? If so, that's indeed an advantage, but still hardly worth the money. Otherwise any decent CAT tool will handle INDD (INX, IDML) and MIF files and the filters are included in the purchase price of the tool.

As to customization possibilities, they are practically the same in TNXT, T-Studio or in MemoQ (you can dock and undock windows, have them floating or move them around multiple screens). You are right that you can probably create more profiles in TNXT: in Studio, you will have to live with three (translation, proofreading, and sign-off). Personally, I don't need more.

Macros may be excellent in Transit; haven't tested them so far. OTOH, handling TMX and the work with termbases are much simpler in other tools. And so on, and so forth. We could go on comparing feature by feature for weeks.

My personal conclusion is that TNXT is currently not worth my money. But it's good to hear that you are happy with this tool.

[Upraveno: 2011-03-05 09:58 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT: Soft license key for desktop computer & laptop?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »