Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
Local time: 07:15
عضو (2002)
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Oct 12, 2006

I have been working on a wonderful 80-page technical legal document for the last couple of days. It all has to be very precise.

Yesterday, I was trying to proofread it, but in the meantime I was required to deliver the first 50 pages or so. I therefore stopped proofreading, closed down my BAK document, cleaned it up and started re-formatting the final document (I had to un-format it in order to translate it, due to the nature of the document). People were waiting for it. I carried o
... See more
I have been working on a wonderful 80-page technical legal document for the last couple of days. It all has to be very precise.

Yesterday, I was trying to proofread it, but in the meantime I was required to deliver the first 50 pages or so. I therefore stopped proofreading, closed down my BAK document, cleaned it up and started re-formatting the final document (I had to un-format it in order to translate it, due to the nature of the document). People were waiting for it. I carried on through the unproofread part of the 50 pages, hastily making corrections to the cleaned-up version, knowing that these were not going to be in my TM and that there were further versions of the document to come. I clicked the button and sent the document.

Evening came and went. As it got nearer to "night", the next version of the document came in. Now I had to start again, and match everything up to this new version. So I fed in the document and started to translate, finishing at an extremely early hour of the morning.

When I came to proofread this version, I noticed that changes I had made previously had somehow been changed back again (in the first part of the document, where I had made the changes to the BAK). Irritated, I got a pen and changed everything back. It took me ages. In the second half, I had the previous day's changes to make to the BAK, anyhow.

Sometime in the early afternoon, I finished it and cleaned the thing up. Imagine my horror to see that ALL the changes I had made all day had gone after the clean-up! I was back to square one. I formatted the new version, printed it off, made as many of the changes as I could remember by heart with a pen, implemented them in the finished document, closed the document, considered whether or not it was fit to send to the client, opened it again, closed it again, opened it again, closed it again, clicked the button and sent it.

In the meantime, I wanted to know what was wrong with Trados, why the changes were not being implemented. Examining Workbench, I realised that the radio button "Don't update" was marked as the default! I haven't a clue how that happened, as I have never changed anything, and I thought the usual default was "Update TM".

Well, I opened up the BAK document to look at it, and I was going to clean it up again, with "Update TM" marked. Unfortunately, however, I had not saved the BAK under a new name before cleaning up the document, therefore I was now left without a bilingual document!

Knowing that the next version was pending, I therefore opened up WinAlign, and spent the next 90 minutes WinAligning my document, to get those TUs into my TM. That went off smoothly.

Well, I was going to say, I am reporting the experience to prevent anyone else from making any of the same silly mistakes, i.e. having the wrong option selected for clean-up, not saving a copy of the BAK...

...but the next version has just come in! Anyhow, at least the TUs are there now, due to my WinAligning effort this afternoon.

Astrid

P.S. Oh, how lovely! The next version is an extra 1MB and consists of 91 pages of 18,523 delicious words. Thankfully it is marked "Endversion".

[Edited at 2006-10-12 18:42]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
فنلندا
Local time: 08:15
عضو (2003)
فنلندي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Sounds a nightmare Oct 13, 2006

Guess you'll remember this setting from now on! And never work nightshifts

Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When the TM does not update...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »