Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:52
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2006

I received a batch of Framemaker files...did the usual thing (saving them as .mif files to be able to process them with SDLX). Since the files contain many graphics, they are up to 35,000 KB large. When I try to import these files into SDLX, SDLX freezes up....apparently it cannot handle the extraction of these large graphics.

Usage of Trados is not an option (no experience)

I tried to save the .mif files as html files (this option is provided in the Framemaker program)
... See more
I received a batch of Framemaker files...did the usual thing (saving them as .mif files to be able to process them with SDLX). Since the files contain many graphics, they are up to 35,000 KB large. When I try to import these files into SDLX, SDLX freezes up....apparently it cannot handle the extraction of these large graphics.

Usage of Trados is not an option (no experience)

I tried to save the .mif files as html files (this option is provided in the Framemaker program). This process causes that the framemaker file will be divided into one html file (which contains all the text) and various .gif files containing the graphics. The problem is, I don't know how to import the translated html file together with the pertinent .gif files back into Framemaker.

Any ideas how to get around this?

Thanks,

Kathi
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:52
English to Polish
I would wait a little :) Aug 29, 2006

Personally, I would wait a little to see if SDLX can handle the files.

On the other hand, if you want to modify the source files, you should buy FrameScript and look for macro that will convert all embeded pictures into external files.

Wojtek

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Delete the graphics Aug 29, 2006

I would make a copy the files, delete the graphics in FrameMaker, translate those copies, and replace the graphics afterwards.
A real strength of FrameMaker, though, is its ability to refer to external graphics - all you have in your FM files is a link. Worth investigating for the future?
HTH

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
As mike said it... Aug 29, 2006

Hi! delete the heavy duty graphics (unless they contain embedded text, that needs special processing) the place holders will remain, your working file would become much lighter and go with the system memory. Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import large Framemaker files into SDLX

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »