TRADOS virgin - which training module do I choose?
Thread poster: Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:04
German to English
Jun 14, 2006

I've just joined into the latest group buy for Trados 2006 bundled with training.
I can choose either a Translator's Workbench or an SDLX training module - which one should I go for?
I've never used Trados before so need something to help me get started, really.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:04
English to Czech
+ ...
Workbench Jun 14, 2006

I think you should start with Workbench, because it's a bit less user friendly and at the same time used by most of the agencies (at least from my experience). But don't forget to have a look at SDLX as well - the documentation should be enough.

You should know both of the programs to be able to decide which one you want to use, if you are free to choose (or to be able to use it, if your clients require it).

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:04
English to French
+ ...
Hello Eva Jun 15, 2006

I use both programs, and when I have the freedom to pick the one I prefer, I base my decision on the job at hand. Somtimes I use one, sometimes the other. But both have been requested by clients also, so I guess it's good to know your way around both. I actually recommend you take some sample files - you can get tons staright off the net - and practice when you have a little time. SDLX is actually easy to learn just by practicing on your own.

I agree with Hynek's opinion, that the l
... See more
I use both programs, and when I have the freedom to pick the one I prefer, I base my decision on the job at hand. Somtimes I use one, sometimes the other. But both have been requested by clients also, so I guess it's good to know your way around both. I actually recommend you take some sample files - you can get tons staright off the net - and practice when you have a little time. SDLX is actually easy to learn just by practicing on your own.

I agree with Hynek's opinion, that the learning curve for Trados is trickier and that it is much more widely used than SDLX - althoug that seems to be bound to change if we look at how SDL handles both these tools nowadays. In any case, according to a LISA.org report, Trados is about 20 times more popular with agencies than SDLX.

I recommend that you start with Trados Workbench also. I have an argument to add to Hynek's. When using Trados, you work in different editing environments, all of which require that you use Workbench at the same time. This can be tricky at times, because you are actually running two separate programs that interact (some bugs sometimes are caused by this collaboration). Also, with Trados, you sometimes convert a file into another format that you will need to understand at least a bit, but you either translate them in Word or TagEditor - that is, not in Workbench, your main program. Now, you have none of this to deal with when working with SDLX. No matter what filetype you translate, it always ends up being an .itd file, and you always use the same editing environment, which is SDL Edit - so, you always work in a single window. SDLX is such a no-brainer compared to Trados that it's not worth taking the course to work with - although I do recommend you read all of its documentation throughly. So, if you need to pick only one, I think it's best you take Trados.

I think you also may find it useful to browse the technical forums on ProZ for both programs and see what issues users are having with them. This will surely give you an idea of concepts used by the two programs - which could help you in determining which one you would have a hard time learning, hence which one you need training on.

All the best!
Collapse

Eva Middleton
Eva Middleton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:04
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 15, 2006

Thank you Hynek and Viktoria,

Your replies are most helpful!

I look forward to getting stuck in now.

Greetings,

Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS virgin - which training module do I choose?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »