Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:47
German to French
+ ...
Jun 6, 2006

Hi,
One on my customers is having problems with XLM files and Trados (7.0, I think).
She is translating XML files generated from FrameMaker, which contain index tags. But the text of the index terms cannot be translated because it is inside the tags.
Is there a way to make this text accessible?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Marie-Céline

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Are you sure that they're FrameMaker files? Jun 7, 2006

Index entries in FrameMaker files that have been processed with S-Tagger are by default marked as translatable and shouldn't cause any problems. (They're preceded either by [ie] or [il].)
If it's an ordinary XML you might have to define the tag(s) as translatable using the Tag Settings Manager in Tag Editor.

Olaf

[Edited at 2006-06-07 14:13]

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FrameMaker +other database system Jun 8, 2006

Hi,
Thanks for your answer. From what the client told me, they have a new process where files are no longer translated directly from FrameMaker (fm->mif->ttx->mif->fm) format, they go through a corporate database system that generates xml files which then have to be translated.

I suggested that they modify the dtd file, but I was not sure if was possible, and she was reluctant to do it on her own because she fears compatibility issues with the global dtd. But if she has this i
... See more
Hi,
Thanks for your answer. From what the client told me, they have a new process where files are no longer translated directly from FrameMaker (fm->mif->ttx->mif->fm) format, they go through a corporate database system that generates xml files which then have to be translated.

I suggested that they modify the dtd file, but I was not sure if was possible, and she was reluctant to do it on her own because she fears compatibility issues with the global dtd. But if she has this index problem, it will be the same for all languages so maybe she should have the global dtd modified to make the index tags translatable. Thanks for the tip about the Tag Settings Manager!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

untranslatable XML index tags

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »