Export a bilingual Word file using Trados 2021
Thread poster: Poppy Gemmell
Poppy Gemmell
Poppy Gemmell
United Kingdom
Nov 1, 2022

Hello,

I'm really not familiar with anything but "Save target" from Trados. My customer wants a bilingual translated file, both languages showing and specifically with the target translation saved directly under the source e.g.:

Bonjour
Hello

Dommage. Merci quand même
That's a shame. Thank you anyway

Au revoir
Goodbye

They would like this format throughout the whole translated file. Is there a way to do this with
... See more
Hello,

I'm really not familiar with anything but "Save target" from Trados. My customer wants a bilingual translated file, both languages showing and specifically with the target translation saved directly under the source e.g.:

Bonjour
Hello

Dommage. Merci quand même
That's a shame. Thank you anyway

Au revoir
Goodbye

They would like this format throughout the whole translated file. Is there a way to do this with Trados 2021?

Thank you!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Poppy Nov 1, 2022

Right-click the project > Batch tasks > Export for bilingual review.
Then, in Word, delete unnecessary columns, and then convert the table to text using the "paragraphs" option.
You may also have to delete the tags, if there are any.
This will segment by segment and not by e.g. paragraph.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:56
English to Russian
sdlxliff Nov 1, 2022

Most probably your client wants you to send them an sdlxliff file. You can either copy it form your project folder/target language subfolder or save a copy of the file directly from Studio: with file opened in Editor, click File - Advanced Save - Save Copy As. Send the output file to your client.

Poppy Gemmell
Poppy Gemmell
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Still stuck Nov 1, 2022

@Stepan Unfortunately the client doesn't use Trados and can't open xliff files, it is Word that they want

@Samuel Thank you, I did try to do this earlier today though and I was only able to export an xliff file which I then couldn't open in Word. I might be missing something quite easy though, I'm really unversed with Trados.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Perhaps you are looking in the wrong folder? Nov 1, 2022

Poppy Gemmell wrote:
@Samuel Thank you, I did try to do this earlier today though and I was only able to export an xliff file which I then couldn't open in Word. I might be missing something quite easy though, I'm really unversed with Trados.

Does this help? Check which export folder you use. You should find docx files there, not sdlxliff files. Perhaps you were looking for it in the wrong folder?

Skjermbilde 2022-11-01 153413
Skjermbilde 2022-11-01 153735
Skjermbilde 2022-11-01 153844
Skjermbilde 2022-11-01 154012
Skjermbilde 2022-11-01 154106
Skjermbilde 2022-11-01 154209
Skjermbilde 2022-11-01 154414

[Edited at 2022-11-01 14:50 GMT]

Sebastian Witte

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:56
English to Russian
Source /Target format Nov 1, 2022

Poppy Gemmell wrote:
@Stepan Unfortunately the client doesn't use Trados and can't open xliff files, it is Word that they want
In this case your client would hardly be satisfied with what other fellow translatirs suggest (Bilingual.review.docx). This format is just a plain text without formatting, pictures, tables, etc. Your client seems to expect a hand-made bilingual file with source and target separated by slash for example or just by line break. If they don't use Trados, I don't think they may expect anything that has to do with Trados formats. The bilingual review file has a side-by-side layout, not 'under'.

[Edited at 2022-11-01 20:34 GMT]

Poppy Gemmell
Poppy Gemmell
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
@Roy Nov 1, 2022

Thank you so much this is exactly what I am looking for!

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
But Poppy says nothing about including pictures or tables Nov 2, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Your client seems to expect a hand-made bilingual file with source and target separated by slash for example or just by line break. If they don't use Trados, I don't think they may expect anything that has to do with Trados formats. The bilingual review file has a side-by-side layout, not 'under'.

[Edited at 2022-11-01 20:34 GMT]

It is true that the bilingual review file has a side-by-side layout, and after the file is exported, Poppy needs to do some fiddling, which I don't have a good suggestion for.
But he does not say anything about having the pictures etc. in the file.

If he needs that, perhaps he should base it on the source file and copy the target translation underneath each source sentence in this file. I still think it would be suitable to have the bilingual review, though. It would be easier to copy the translation from the target column in the bilingual file than doing so from Studio.

One thing I do hope, though, is that Poppy charges for the time he uses for the formating, since this would be a somewhat time consuming process which he should not do for free,

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export a bilingual Word file using Trados 2021

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »