How to simultaneously translate and review an external review file
Thread poster: Adriana Mar.
Adriana Mar.
Adriana Mar.
Chinese to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 16, 2022

Hello everyone,

A company sent me a "xlsx.review" file where some strings are partially or totally translated (which I have to review) while other strings are empty (which I have to translate). I have no idea how to work on SDL with this file, since this isn't an updated bilingual file, it's the first/only file I have regarding this project. I can't create a new project either, since this is a review file...

If you have any suggestions I'd be very trankful!

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Local time: 18:35
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Witch extension? Sep 16, 2022

Hello,

does your file has the extension .xls.review.docx?

If yes you can work on this file directly from Word.

The files .review.docx are an export of the translated file for external review in Word. They are done for translators that don’t have Trados.

[Modifié le 2022-09-16 12:12 GMT]

Adriana Mar.
Adriana Mar.
Chinese to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Sep 16, 2022

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, it's a word file. I was trying to avoid working directly on Word because of consistency issues (I use a terminology glossary).

Xanthippe

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Local time: 18:35
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes Sep 16, 2022

Adriana Mar. wrote:

Xanthippe wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, it's a word file. I was trying to avoid working directly on Word because of consistency issues (I use a terminology glossary).

Yes I undestand. Maybe the client has it or maybe he has not but I guess he can ask his client.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:35
English to Russian
Two options Sep 16, 2022

There are two options available with this scenario: an easy one and a complicated one. The easy option is to ask your client to send you a Trados Studio package. If they could generate a review file for you, obviously they can create a package too. The complicated option is to copy the source and target columns alone (excluding headers, segment numbers, segment IDs and other superfluous details) from your review file and paste them into an Excel file. Then you can use the Bilingual Excel workflo... See more
There are two options available with this scenario: an easy one and a complicated one. The easy option is to ask your client to send you a Trados Studio package. If they could generate a review file for you, obviously they can create a package too. The complicated option is to copy the source and target columns alone (excluding headers, segment numbers, segment IDs and other superfluous details) from your review file and paste them into an Excel file. Then you can use the Bilingual Excel workflow to translate it. Once you are done with your translation, copy the target segments and paste them back to the review file.

[Edited at 2022-09-16 17:58 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to simultaneously translate and review an external review file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »