Sigrid Andersen
Sigrid Andersen  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:54
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
Aug 26, 2022

Good morning fellow translators,

I am currently experiencing an issue that I just cannot seem to be able to solve. I tried googling and different forums, but could not find a solution.
My Trados (2021) has suddenly no dictionary for autocorrection any more. All the words I have saved so far are gone, and if I want to add them to dictionary again, it ist just grey and I cannot perform this action.

I also found that you somehow should be able to import a word dictio
... See more
Good morning fellow translators,

I am currently experiencing an issue that I just cannot seem to be able to solve. I tried googling and different forums, but could not find a solution.
My Trados (2021) has suddenly no dictionary for autocorrection any more. All the words I have saved so far are gone, and if I want to add them to dictionary again, it ist just grey and I cannot perform this action.

I also found that you somehow should be able to import a word dictionary into Trados, but I could not find out how. This might be able to solve the problem, I think?

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Sigrid Andersen
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:54
English to Russian
Which dictionary: autotext, autocorrect, autosuggest, termbase? Aug 26, 2022

Hi Sigrid,
There are different sources of autosuggestion in Trados. Which dictionary do you mean? Can you tell the path where you see the grey element? Like "File - Options - ..."

Sigrid Andersen
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the autosuggestion, but the spell check Aug 26, 2022

Hello Stepan,

I am not talking about the autosuggestion dictionary, but the spell check, that usually just is active while translating.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Hunspell or MS Word? Aug 26, 2022

Ah, ok, then do you use Hunspell or MS Word?
If Hunspell, then go to File-Options-Editor-Spelling, click Custom dictionaries, highlight the dictionary to see the path. And check the box if not checked.

You can add your own list of words into that file by opening it with N
... See more
Ah, ok, then do you use Hunspell or MS Word?
If Hunspell, then go to File-Options-Editor-Spelling, click Custom dictionaries, highlight the dictionary to see the path. And check the box if not checked.

You can add your own list of words into that file by opening it with Notepad or Notepad++.

If there is no file in the above-mentioned folder, try to search for CUSTOM.dic in Windows Explorer. Probably you moved it somewhere else. If you can find the correct file with your words, copy it and paste to the same above-mentioned path.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Part 2 Aug 26, 2022

If the file is there full of your words and the box is checked but the Add to Dictionary option is still greyed out, also try this:
1. Make sure Trados Studio is closed
2. Go to the folder: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SDL
3. Rename the folder "SpellChecker" to "SpellChecker_old"
3. Start Trados Studio again and see if it solved the issue.

Also, if you use some specific flavor of your target language, the issue can be due to a missing flavor dictiona
... See more
If the file is there full of your words and the box is checked but the Add to Dictionary option is still greyed out, also try this:
1. Make sure Trados Studio is closed
2. Go to the folder: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SDL
3. Rename the folder "SpellChecker" to "SpellChecker_old"
3. Start Trados Studio again and see if it solved the issue.

Also, if you use some specific flavor of your target language, the issue can be due to a missing flavor dictionary.
===
*If the above written is too complicated for you (I admit it can be so), then I recommend that you post your question at the RWS support forum. Posting questions there is like opening a ticket with their support team. You don't need a paid subscription for that. This is the correct link for posting: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/p/addpost

[Edited at 2022-08-26 11:57 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
One more thought Aug 26, 2022

Could it be that you simply switched from Hunspell to Word unnoticed?

Sigrid Andersen
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Aug 26, 2022

Hello Stepan,

thank you so much for your help. Your first suggestion did not work, but your second suggestion made me try something.

I changed from Hunspell to word, then closed Trados, then opened it again and changed back to Hunspell...and tada...it works again lol
Thank you so much!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Aug 26, 2022

[Edited at 2022-08-26 14:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary in Trados gone

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »