Syncing TMs on two devices
Thread poster: Christine Birch
Christine Birch
Christine Birch
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Jul 20, 2022

Hi,
I have Trados 2019 on two computers (desktop and laptop). Usually I use a client TM but I have created two of my own ones - a general Fr-En and a general It-En for when I do projects without a client TM. I have these two 'personal' TMs stored in a folder on my desktop and a folder on my laptop.
I'm not very 'techie' so would be grateful if someone could advise me how to ensure they sync so that if I work on one for a while (even several months), when I next work on the other one,
... See more
Hi,
I have Trados 2019 on two computers (desktop and laptop). Usually I use a client TM but I have created two of my own ones - a general Fr-En and a general It-En for when I do projects without a client TM. I have these two 'personal' TMs stored in a folder on my desktop and a folder on my laptop.
I'm not very 'techie' so would be grateful if someone could advise me how to ensure they sync so that if I work on one for a while (even several months), when I next work on the other one, the appropriate TM is updated.
Many thanks in advance - appreciate your help.
Christine
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:32
English to French
+ ...
WFS via sdl app store Jul 20, 2022

Christine Birch wrote:

Hi,
I'm not very 'techie' so would be grateful if someone could advise me how to ensure they sync so that if I work on one for a while (even several months), when I next work on the other one, the appropriate TM is updated.
Many thanks in advance - appreciate your help.
Christine

Hi,
One way I know of is using wordfast server. You can set it up on a windows machine, then add this SDL app https://appstore.rws.com/language/app/simple-wfs-connector/ to SDL 2019. This will allow you to connect and sync a single TM all the time.
The method is described here: https://youtu.be/kW8mHrb27Es
If someone knows a simpler method on SDL, please post!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:32
English to Russian
Trados Live Jul 20, 2022

As far as I know you can use Trados Live to store your TMs in their cloud. However I belong to a group of users that RWS chose to ban by nationality, that is why I can't add any more details. But I think you should try Trados Live. You can ask a question... See more
As far as I know you can use Trados Live to store your TMs in their cloud. However I belong to a group of users that RWS chose to ban by nationality, that is why I can't add any more details. But I think you should try Trados Live. You can ask a question here: https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/cloud-offerings/f/cloud-offerings

[Edited at 2022-07-20 16:55 GMT]
Collapse

Edwin den Boer
Edwin den Boer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:32
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
Sync everything Jul 21, 2022

I think the best solution would be to sync all your files automatically using a service like Dropbox. Then you don't need to worry about uploading specific files or finding a cloud service for a particular file type. Another advantage is that you'll be able to restore an older version when you accidentally delete data.

Dropbox offers a feature called Selective Sync, which means you can choose which folders will be downloaded to your laptop and which folders you access through the i
... See more
I think the best solution would be to sync all your files automatically using a service like Dropbox. Then you don't need to worry about uploading specific files or finding a cloud service for a particular file type. Another advantage is that you'll be able to restore an older version when you accidentally delete data.

Dropbox offers a feature called Selective Sync, which means you can choose which folders will be downloaded to your laptop and which folders you access through the internet. When you're online, they look and work the same way.

Disclaimer: I worked for several cloud backup services.

[Edited at 2022-07-21 12:34 GMT]
Collapse

CroPro
Muhammad ali

Christine Birch
Christine Birch
United Kingdom
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Jul 21, 2022

Hi Philippe, Stepan and Edwin.
Thank you very much for your helpful replies. I will look into them and see which one works for me. (Simplicity is my main criterion!)
I really appreciate your time and helpfulness.
All the very best
Christine

Philippe Locquet

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
NDA Jul 22, 2022

Most of my customers would probably (and for good reason) view it as an NDA violation if TMs with data from their old assignments were stored in the cloud.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Teplocteur
Dan Lucas

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I use Dropbox myself Jul 24, 2022

For large TMs, I'd recommend Dropbox, above any other cloud sync solutions, since it is the only one with ‘delta sync’, where only changed bits of the TM get reuploaded/redownloaded, instead of the whole file, again and again and again, etc.

Edwin den Boer

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:32
English to Russian
Email is a cloud service too Jul 24, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:
Most of my customers would probably (and for good reason) view it as an NDA violation if TMs with data from their old assignments were stored in the cloud.
When you use your email to send deliverables or receive assignments, you violate your NDA because you send data to a third-party server/cloud. Do you always get assignments through an ftp server?

[Edited at 2022-07-24 22:46 GMT]

Edwin den Boer

Edwin den Boer
Edwin den Boer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
"In the cloud" doesn't mean it's public Jul 25, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:

On a general cloud backup service, your data will be encrypted. It's no more public than a company server running on Amazon or DigitalOcean. Probably safer than the average online pc, which can be attacked by phishing through email. Encryption is also the default on Trados Live.

What's your backup process? Does it offer immediate duplication in a different location? Guess what happens to your local backups when your house or office burns down.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:32
Member (2008)
English to French
Also Dropbox Jul 25, 2022

With a pro account.

The only exception is for projects where 'the data cannot leave Canada' - those get saved to my desktop and don't get added to my main TM - they're treated in a silo.

One caveat is that if you're writing to the TM while it's syncing, it can crash, so I usually create project TMs to write to and then update the main TM in one go at the end of the project.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Syncing TMs on two devices

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »