How do I make/propagate the same edits in the multiple files in a Trados project?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 19:15
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 20, 2022

Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados 2021. I need to make some of the same edits in the multiple files of Trados project in Track Changes. Is there any method to propagate the same edits in all the files of a Trados project because in that case, I will have to make the changes once which will even propagate to the unopened files in the project. Will they also be reflected in Track Changes? It will save time and efforts. This is perhaps called global changes, but I am not sure.
... See more
Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados 2021. I need to make some of the same edits in the multiple files of Trados project in Track Changes. Is there any method to propagate the same edits in all the files of a Trados project because in that case, I will have to make the changes once which will even propagate to the unopened files in the project. Will they also be reflected in Track Changes? It will save time and efforts. This is perhaps called global changes, but I am not sure.

Is it possible at all? If yes, what is the step by step procedure for doing this?

Regards,

Chopra
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:45
English to Russian
Simply open all your files as one document Jun 20, 2022

Your edits will propagate automatically.

expressisverbis

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to open all files as one document Jun 21, 2022

Hi Stepan,

Thanks so much for your valuable suggestion. I tried my best to find out the option to open all files as one document but in vain. Could you tell me about it in detail?

Regards,

Chopra

Stepan Konev wrote:

Your edits will propagate automatically.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ctrl+clicks Jun 21, 2022

In Files view, target pane (make sure there is your target language banner on the left), press and hold Ctrl and click all the files you want to open. Then right-click the selection and click 'Open for translation'.

Rajan Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for your kind help Jun 21, 2022

Hi Stepan,

I am grateful to you for taking time to explain it so vividly along with the screenshots.

Regards,

Chopra

Stepan Konev wrote:

In Files view, target pane (make sure there is your target language banner on the left), press and hold Ctrl and click all the files you want to open. Then right-click the selection and click 'Open for translation'.

Stepan Konev

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:45
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Is there a way to open multiple files from different projects? Jun 21, 2022

Is there a way to open multiple files from different projects?

The only way I know is to create a new project with the original SDLXLIFF files, and then copy the files back to the original projects. Quite a time consuming process.

[Edited at 2022-06-21 06:09 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I don't think it's possible Jun 21, 2022

Different projects may have different settings, from different shortcuts and segmentation rules to different TMs and termbases. How can you keep them all simultaneously? I can't even imagine that. The only way I can think of is create a single project and add all target sdlxliff files from other projects into that single project. But you seem to mention the same idea. I am not aware of other workarounds.

Yossi Rozenman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I make/propagate the same edits in the multiple files in a Trados project?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »