Is there a quicker way to edit multiple source segements at once ?
Auteur du fil: Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Allemagne
Local time: 10:45
Membre (2016)
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
Oct 29, 2021

Sometimes I have a text that’s been converted from a PDF. Almost every sentence has at least one word that has been split. I like to edit the source text so that all terms are recognised. But it’s quite time consuming to right mouse click on each segment? Is there a way to “unlock” all segments so that I can quickly edit all source text?

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 12:45
anglais vers russe
Re: Is there a quicker way to edit multiple source segements at once ? Oct 29, 2021

Hello Brent,

When the results of PDF conversion (which is performed by a PDF conversion program like ABBYY Finereader, Omnipage, etc., or implicitly by a CAT tool which does PDF conversion to Word format using a PDF filetype/import filter) are so bad that many sentences are split into paragraphs, resulting in incorrect segmentation in Trados Studio, this usually means that the PDF conversion program cannot understand sentence boundaries. I would not use such program / workflow and i
... See more
Hello Brent,

When the results of PDF conversion (which is performed by a PDF conversion program like ABBYY Finereader, Omnipage, etc., or implicitly by a CAT tool which does PDF conversion to Word format using a PDF filetype/import filter) are so bad that many sentences are split into paragraphs, resulting in incorrect segmentation in Trados Studio, this usually means that the PDF conversion program cannot understand sentence boundaries. I would not use such program / workflow and instead use a good PDF converter like ABBYY Finereader. You will still get a few sentences that are split into multiple paragraphs, but it will be much quicker to fix them. There are several ways to remove incorrect paragraph/line breaks after PDF conversion to Word format:
1) Search for ^p (paragraph break) or ^l (line break) in Word, making sure that non-printing symbols are visible in Word.
2) Use Unbreaker tool for Microsoft Word (part of TransTools add-in for MS Word, see this link) which will search for all potentially incorrect breaks and let you choose which ones need to be removed much quicker.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Ruth Wiedekind
Ruth Wiedekind  Identity Verified
Allemagne
espagnol vers allemand
+ ...
Edit in the DOCX format Oct 29, 2021

Have you tried to "save source" as original (PDF) and then convert/export the PDF to Word?
I think this is what I would try to begin with. Editing the source text in the Word environment and then **add this new source file (as DOCX or as PDF) to be translated** to my project.

Kind regards,
Ruth

Brent Sørensen
Allemagne
Membre (2016)
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
A solution for packages? Oct 29, 2021

Thanks for the advice.
But I need a solution for packages that an agency has sent me.
Brent

Brent Sørensen
Allemagne
Membre (2016)
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thanks, but I need something for packages that have already been prepared by an agency Nov 1, 2021

Thanks for the reply. When I have the original file, I make sure to prepare it properly before creating a Trados projects. The agencies don’t always take the time to do this.
It would be nice if there were a way to unlock all of the source segments for editing at once.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russie
Local time: 11:45
anglais vers russe
Can you share a screenshot? Nov 1, 2021

What do you mean by saying that words are split? If they are split with a paragraph mark, then there must be different segments. If they are split with line breaks, or whitespaces, or whitespace+hyphen. You can use an app called CleanUp Tasks.
However, if you do the agency's job, they will be happy to assign this job to you again next time and forever. Also, i
... See more
What do you mean by saying that words are split? If they are split with a paragraph mark, then there must be different segments. If they are split with line breaks, or whitespaces, or whitespace+hyphen. You can use an app called CleanUp Tasks.
However, if you do the agency's job, they will be happy to assign this job to you again next time and forever. Also, if you fix a source document now, Trados will not recognize your next file that may be split again because Trados has already stored the segments as fixed. I mean you will have to do your agency's work again and again. Isn't it better to reject a job until your agency makes it translatable?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a quicker way to edit multiple source segements at once ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »