Thread poster: Michelle Silbert
Michelle Silbert
Michelle Silbert
Local time: 21:37
English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2010

Bpnjour!

I have a group of 4-6 adults that are interested in group lessons at my house. How much do I charge? I plan to provide materials, etc for the course. This will be a formal novice low to novice mid level class. I am a french instructor so I will follow a textbook as well not just conversational. Is $20/hr too much to ask?

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Michelle

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:37
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
It depends Feb 11, 2010

It depends on the going rates in your area, of course. As a very general guideline, we pay teachers about $35/hour of classroom time, about $45/hr if they also have administrative duties. To that you can add your costs of materials and other expenses (including use of your house) to come up with your total costs. Double it to find your selling price (since you're effectively in business), and divide it by the number of students to get a figure for tuition. Then of course you will need to adj... See more
It depends on the going rates in your area, of course. As a very general guideline, we pay teachers about $35/hour of classroom time, about $45/hr if they also have administrative duties. To that you can add your costs of materials and other expenses (including use of your house) to come up with your total costs. Double it to find your selling price (since you're effectively in business), and divide it by the number of students to get a figure for tuition. Then of course you will need to adjust for your local conditions (what are teachers paid in your area, competition) and, of course, what your students are willing to pay.Collapse

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:37
English to German
+ ...
Do you mean $20.00 per student per hour? Feb 12, 2010

Hi Michelle,

I am teaching six adult students in a private group. They all were my students at a community college and decided they wanted to continue after they reached the highest possible level at the college. We are meeting once a week for 2 hours. We follow the College schedule, meaning we start at the same time as the college, have the same breaks and no summer classes. The semester is 15 weeks. Every student pays $250 for a semester course. That is $50.00 an hour, divided by
... See more
Hi Michelle,

I am teaching six adult students in a private group. They all were my students at a community college and decided they wanted to continue after they reached the highest possible level at the college. We are meeting once a week for 2 hours. We follow the College schedule, meaning we start at the same time as the college, have the same breaks and no summer classes. The semester is 15 weeks. Every student pays $250 for a semester course. That is $50.00 an hour, divided by 6 people. It includes material. When we read a book together it has to be paid extra.

It works fine for me and my students like it for 5 semesters already.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French Group Lesson Rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »