Thread poster: Raquel Bragança
Raquel Bragança
Raquel Bragança
Local time: 16:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 6, 2008

Hi there,

I know my question may sound strange, but I work for a local TV station and do subtitling in real-time (I believe this is the term?) so I don't know how to do cueing and I only learnt to work with a sofware developed by a Hong Kong company.

As the translators/subtitlers only have acess to the software on the moment of doing subtitling in real-time, I don't get to see the subtitles like they will appear on screen until i'm doing it!

So I've been
... See more
Hi there,

I know my question may sound strange, but I work for a local TV station and do subtitling in real-time (I believe this is the term?) so I don't know how to do cueing and I only learnt to work with a sofware developed by a Hong Kong company.

As the translators/subtitlers only have acess to the software on the moment of doing subtitling in real-time, I don't get to see the subtitles like they will appear on screen until i'm doing it!

So I've been trying to find a software that allows me to import word or Wordpad files and uses some kind of symbol where I want to divide into a second line.

With the sofware I use a two-line subtitle would look like this.

Hello, my name is Mary Duncan.//I work in subtitling.

This would be on screen:

Hello, my name is Mary Duncan.
I work in subtitling.

So if you know any software that uses that symbol // or any other I could replace for, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks so much!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Each software has its own Mar 6, 2008

There are many subtitle file types, each software package requires its own. Some programs share a common format (e.g. both SubStation Alpha and VirtualDub use SSA), while some programs will accept more than one format.

One very popular tool for subtitling and spotting is Subtitle Workshop, free download from http://www.urusoft.net/products.php?cat=sw&lang=1 . It can handle s
... See more
There are many subtitle file types, each software package requires its own. Some programs share a common format (e.g. both SubStation Alpha and VirtualDub use SSA), while some programs will accept more than one format.

One very popular tool for subtitling and spotting is Subtitle Workshop, free download from http://www.urusoft.net/products.php?cat=sw&lang=1 . It can handle some 50 different formats and convert between them. At least read their help file, it contains a list of these.

The line-breaking character will vary accordiing to the subtitles file format. Some use (without the bracketes) [|], [\n], [\N]. The first example here is the "pipeline", [Shift]+[\].
Collapse

Raquel Bragança
Raquel Bragança
Local time: 16:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Mar 6, 2008

Thanks for your help, however I can't get it too show the subtitles in two lines.

I've dowloaded the software and uploaded a .txt file and tried all the line-breakes symbols you said and it comes in only one line...

I guess i just solved my problem. I had to save it in a format first, right? Shame on me!

THANKS JOSE!

[Editada em 2008-03-06 12:03]

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:06
English
+ ...
Search and replace May 21, 2008

If the subtitling system you're importing into doesn't recognise the // as a line break, you should be able to do a search and replace to insert a manual line break.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The problem is in the sub rendering software May 21, 2008

All subtitle files I know can be opened with Windows Notepad.

If you can get ONE subtitle file that breaks lines properly in your software, open that file with Notepad to see what character it uses.

Bear in mind that some subtitle-rendering softwares don't use any line break character. They break the lines on-the-fly according to some parameters you set for the whole video. So. instead of a 2x32 sub, they'd use a 1x64.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dividing subtitles - question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »