Автор темы: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:20
английский => арабский
+ ...
Jul 17, 2006

Hi,

My name is Noha Kamal. I work with Softitler. I used to download files from SOL just fine. However, since a virus problem they had last January, I cannot download files anymore. I log on to SOL, click on the assignment ASF file, the five parts ASF files are created, but the download stays at 0%. This will probably make sense only to those who work for Softitler. Any idea what to do? I use Win XP, and I downloaded all updates (critical and otherwise) as well Service Packs.
... See more
Hi,

My name is Noha Kamal. I work with Softitler. I used to download files from SOL just fine. However, since a virus problem they had last January, I cannot download files anymore. I log on to SOL, click on the assignment ASF file, the five parts ASF files are created, but the download stays at 0%. This will probably make sense only to those who work for Softitler. Any idea what to do? I use Win XP, and I downloaded all updates (critical and otherwise) as well Service Packs.

Thanks.
Collapse

Ruslan Datkayev
Ruslan Datkayev  Identity Verified
Казахстан
Local time: 06:20
английский => русский
+ ...
Opera browser Jul 18, 2006

Good day dear Noha Kamal!

Probably, Opera browser with its download mamager may help to transfer files from server, try www.opera.com.

With respect,

rbd

Noha Kamal, PhD.
английский => арабский
+ ...
Автор темы
Mozilla Jul 18, 2006

Thanks,
But I am not sure if SOL would be compatible with Opera. Afterall, it is not compatible with Mozilla.

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Польша
Local time: 03:20
английский => польский
Helpdesk Jul 22, 2006

Noha Kamal wrote:

Thanks,
But I am not sure if SOL would be compatible with Opera. Afterall, it is not compatible with Mozilla.

No, it's only compatible with Internet Explorer - grrrrrr....

Unfortunately, I'm not good at computers, so I can't give you any advice beside the obvious - write to Softitler Helpdesk. Whenever I was facing problems, they were always able to help me.

Good luck!

Joanna

Miia Mattila
Miia Mattila
Эстония
английский => финский
Have you tried downloading Aug 2, 2006

using another computer? For example, borrow a laptop from a friend? I know the site wants to download the programs when you log on, but you can easily remove them afterwards...

I'm suggesting this because this way you could determine whether the problem is actually on your computer - in which case you could try comparing the settings etc. between the two computers - or if the problem is on Softitler's database - in which case you could probably ask them to set up a new account for y
... See more
using another computer? For example, borrow a laptop from a friend? I know the site wants to download the programs when you log on, but you can easily remove them afterwards...

I'm suggesting this because this way you could determine whether the problem is actually on your computer - in which case you could try comparing the settings etc. between the two computers - or if the problem is on Softitler's database - in which case you could probably ask them to set up a new account for you or something... In any case, if you can pinpoint the origin of the problem, it is a lot more easier for the Helpdesk to fix it.

I've had some problems myself with downloading, so if there is any progress in this, please let me know

Hope all works out!
Collapse

Noha Kamal, PhD.
английский => арабский
+ ...
Автор темы
Did try that! Aug 3, 2006

Thanks, Miia. But yes, I did try that. Ever since I had that problem, I have been working on my laptop, where everything is ok. So, I know the problem is with my PC. Yet, they can't quite figure out what it is, since the download does start and all five parts files are created, but the download indicator stays at 0%! Anyway, thanks for the suggestion:)

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Румыния
Член ProZ.com c 2004
английский => румынский
+ ...
Antivirus/Firewall? Aug 5, 2006

Hi, are you using antivirus/firewall? If so, check if SOL is not blocked there due to its history. I used to have similar problems and it turned out the culprit was the firewall security level.
HTH

Noha Kamal, PhD.
английский => арабский
+ ...
Автор темы
True Aug 5, 2006

Hi Christina,

Well, thanks a mil for hatching a new aspect. As a matter of fact, yes, I have a firewall; "Zone Alarm". How do I know it is the source of all trouble. More importantly, how do I unblock SOL? Thanks again.

Cristiana Coblis
Румыния
Член ProZ.com c 2004
английский => румынский
+ ...
Zone Alarm Aug 6, 2006

I thought so I use Zone Alarm Suite.

You should try to insert the SOL page on your trusted zone list and also check the Program control tab and look if it was not blocked by ZA. Blocked items are marked with a red X, you can change that if it is the case. Also check if it was not quarantined on the Anti-virus/anti-spyware tab) of ZA.

I also remember at some point that there were downloading problems due
... See more
I thought so I use Zone Alarm Suite.

You should try to insert the SOL page on your trusted zone list and also check the Program control tab and look if it was not blocked by ZA. Blocked items are marked with a red X, you can change that if it is the case. Also check if it was not quarantined on the Anti-virus/anti-spyware tab) of ZA.

I also remember at some point that there were downloading problems due to a certain Windows security upgrade. I think the Helpdesk can advise about that.

I hope it works out
Collapse

Noha Kamal, PhD.
английский => арабский
+ ...
Автор темы
Trusted Zone Aug 6, 2006

Hi again,

Thanks a mil for taking the time to write. I know it is not a critical updates problem, because we've been through that with the Help Desk. It probably has to do with ZA. I hope you won't be impatient with me asking specific questions. But whenI tried adding SOL to the trusted zones, I get the message "ZoneAlarm Pro with Filtering cannot find http://sol.softitler.com/." Am I doing somet
... See more
Hi again,

Thanks a mil for taking the time to write. I know it is not a critical updates problem, because we've been through that with the Help Desk. It probably has to do with ZA. I hope you won't be impatient with me asking specific questions. But whenI tried adding SOL to the trusted zones, I get the message "ZoneAlarm Pro with Filtering cannot find http://sol.softitler.com/." Am I doing something wrong here? How can I make sure that ZA settings are correct. Thanks again for your help.

All the best,
Noha
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Румыния
Член ProZ.com c 2004
английский => румынский
+ ...
try without the http Aug 7, 2006

Noha Kamal wrote:
But whenI tried adding SOL to the trusted zones, I get the message "ZoneAlarm Pro with Filtering cannot find http://sol.softitler.com/." Am I doing something wrong here? How can I make sure that ZA settings are correct. Thanks again for your help.

All the best,
Noha

It should work if you try to include: www.softitler.com or sol.softitler.com - there are different IPs, so my suggestion is to include both.

Hope it works our OK

Noha Kamal, PhD.
английский => арабский
+ ...
Автор темы
Will try that Aug 7, 2006

Thanks, Christina. I will try that and let you know. You´ve been a great help so far.

All the best,
Noha

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Downloading problem

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »