Thread poster: Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 11, 2012

I have been asked to quote for the translation into Spanish of training conferences. I have not done this before, except short videos for companies I already worked for. These are longer and the company is not a translation agency or a movie company so they do not have subtitling templates.
As I do not own any "subtitling" software, I was wondering if this job would be more bother than it is worth, as I would have to spend the time to listen to the videos, translate them and create my own
... See more
I have been asked to quote for the translation into Spanish of training conferences. I have not done this before, except short videos for companies I already worked for. These are longer and the company is not a translation agency or a movie company so they do not have subtitling templates.
As I do not own any "subtitling" software, I was wondering if this job would be more bother than it is worth, as I would have to spend the time to listen to the videos, translate them and create my own template in excel so they can match then the videos back to the video!
Is there any special software freelance translators can use for this purpose? What are the going rates?
Collapse

Mehdi Yaghoubi (X)
Mehdi Yaghoubi (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 12:18
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
subtitle Dec 12, 2012

hi

you can use adobe premiere or photoshop cs6

but for not a expensive software you can use subtitle work shop

mehdi

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's a completely different job Dec 12, 2012

Translation is one thing, subtitling is another. Some people do either one, others - like me - do both. Translation for subtitling is one specialty in translation that requires some specialized learning.

I wrote this page so my prospects would understand what I'm talking about when they consult me about a video subtitling project. (You may find other articles about video
... See more
Translation is one thing, subtitling is another. Some people do either one, others - like me - do both. Translation for subtitling is one specialty in translation that requires some specialized learning.

I wrote this page so my prospects would understand what I'm talking about when they consult me about a video subtitling project. (You may find other articles about video translation on my web site.)

After you get an idea of what it involves, it will be time for a self-check, where you'll decide whether you want to get involved with any of it.

I've developed a video lecture on Proz for translators wanting to start working from audio/video, however it only teaches the basics, not focusing on translation techniques for dubbing or subtitling.

Subtitling templates are a way subtitling studios have developed to get translation work from non-video-specialized translators, thus lowering costs, and at the same time expanding their options into varied languages. While it may work to some extent between same-group languages (e.g. Latin, Slavic, etc.), IMHO it leads to lower quality output when these borders are crossed (e.g. EN into PT, DE into FR, etc.).

If you want to self-teach the technical part of it, try http://www.videohelp.com . They have some great tutorials there, however you'll have to develop the craft, the art, on your own.

Some freeware tools worth investigating:
- NCH's Express Scribe - for translation
- Urusoft's Subtitle Workshop - for time-spotting subtitles
- Lee Avery's VirtualDub and its subtitler plugin - for burning subtitles onto video
- Dennis Meuwissen's DVD Flick - for authoring subtitled DVDs

After you succeed with them, you will be in a better position to decide whether it is worth investing in any more sophisticated software for any of the steps.

[Edited at 2012-12-12 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 18, 2013

José, thanks so much for all the info. It's going to take me a while to go through all of the videos and info you suggested, but it's definitely a great guide.
Many thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Providing subtitles for a video

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »