Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lituanie
Local time: 20:12
anglais vers lituanien
+ ...
Mar 6, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have just found out about a free TextCrawler software (right here: http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/textcrawler)

1) Have anyone used it before? And is it useful in the translation/proofreading process in any way?
2) If it is useful, any specific examples?

The list of features includes:

* Search an
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have just found out about a free TextCrawler software (right here: http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/textcrawler)

1) Have anyone used it before? And is it useful in the translation/proofreading process in any way?
2) If it is useful, any specific examples?

The list of features includes:

* Search and Replace across files, Insert or Delete text
* Fast searching, even on large files.
* Simple to use interface
* Flexible search parameters
* Text Extractor - rip text into a new file
* Post-process extracted text - sort, remove duplicate lines, remove whitespace
* Search and replace using Regular Expressions. Create sophisticated searches.
* Regular Expression test tool
* Regular Expression library - Save your searches.
* Create backup files
* Fully Unicode Compatible - Search ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-16, etc
* Highlighted search results
* Export Results
* Preview Replace Function
* Copy found files to new location
* Batch Find and Replace

Thanks!
VS
Collapse

GILLES MEUNIER
GILLES MEUNIER  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:12
anglais vers français
Textcrawler Mar 6, 2011

I have already used it to search and replace. It's a user-friendly software....

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:12
anglais vers hongrois
+ ...
Not bad I guess Mar 6, 2011

By the looks of it, this thing doesn't do anything that sed can't do. On the other hand, if it can do everything sed does and offer a decent GUI, why not? If it makes more people find out about regular expressions, that can only be a good thing.
It only works on txt files (like sed), so tools like powergrep that offer search and replace in office documents have an edge over this thing, but
... See more
By the looks of it, this thing doesn't do anything that sed can't do. On the other hand, if it can do everything sed does and offer a decent GUI, why not? If it makes more people find out about regular expressions, that can only be a good thing.
It only works on txt files (like sed), so tools like powergrep that offer search and replace in office documents have an edge over this thing, but then they can't compete with the price of $0.
The only concern is whether it's trustworthy. I've never heard of digitalvolcano and I have no reason to trust their software, so I'll stick to sed and perl for my regex search and replace needs.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ever used TextCrawler?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »