Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Any experience, recommendations regarding BAK Files?
投稿者: Vincent Staude
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 12:11
2002に入会
英語 から ハンガリー語
+ ...
Good riddance Feb 21, 2011

Another possibility is that the "agency" may not know what they are asking, either.
They were told by their client (who is a proper agency or an end client with a translation department) to deliver .BAK files, and they are too embarrassed to ask their client what that is, so they are simply looking for translators that would deliver according to their client's specs. Then, this "agency" has nothing to do, except forwarding the files received from the translator (as is). Now, you can figure
... See more
Another possibility is that the "agency" may not know what they are asking, either.
They were told by their client (who is a proper agency or an end client with a translation department) to deliver .BAK files, and they are too embarrassed to ask their client what that is, so they are simply looking for translators that would deliver according to their client's specs. Then, this "agency" has nothing to do, except forwarding the files received from the translator (as is). Now, you can figure how much this "agency" is worth, how they are going to deal with quality (do nothing, except refuse payment when their client complains), and how much you can trust them about their ability to pay (most likely when and if their client pays).

Good riddance, I would say.
Katalin
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
フランス
Local time: 18:11
フランス語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
You may very well be right, Katalin Feb 21, 2011

At the risk of repeating myself, there are "agencies" who are still clueless about the very concept of computer-assisted translation and nevertheless want trados repetition discounts. These are file forwarders or simple repackagers - indeed.

[Edited at 2011-02-21 20:22 GMT]

Vincent Staude
Vincent Staude
ドイツ
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and no - But mainly: Thank you! Feb 22, 2011

Thanks for your upcoming comments! I really appreciate it.

Yes: Some costumers might not know what they want. The had sent me a very detailled form to fill out. Would have been helpful to mention (a) we only accept translations with .bak files; (b) we only accept translations with the following CAT tools.

No: Judging on the blue board the customer must be good in paying, etc. But I find it weird to mention such important things as additional files at the end. Guess, the
... See more
Thanks for your upcoming comments! I really appreciate it.

Yes: Some costumers might not know what they want. The had sent me a very detailled form to fill out. Would have been helpful to mention (a) we only accept translations with .bak files; (b) we only accept translations with the following CAT tools.

No: Judging on the blue board the customer must be good in paying, etc. But I find it weird to mention such important things as additional files at the end. Guess, the other translators used the tools that creat .bak files. (smile)

They did not answer any of my questions.

Well, for me they are on the black list now.

Ah, I have seen the thread regarding the strike.

There is also another nice threat (which I cannot find again, argh) about a translator who found out that such complicated agencies rarely give jobs. He found out that its easier to work with less complicated agencies.

I promised myself not to waste time again for such an agency. Just got a request for start-up business with another agency, they are not that complicated and I hope that my translations will satisfy them so that I'll get some projects.

Wish you all a lovely day!
Yours
Désirée

[Edited at 2011-02-22 22:42 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
カナダ
2008に入会
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
.bak is generic Feb 22, 2011

A .bak file is generic - the .bak extension doesn't belong to any particular program. Wordfast Classic uses it, but so do a lot of other programs, such as Act! and Firefox. All it means usually is that some program is generating a backup file of something and you would have to know what software generated it. Its rather like the .tmp extension that many programs generate for temporary use - it says absolutley nothing about what program generated it.

Vincent Staude
Vincent Staude
ドイツ
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know Feb 22, 2011

...and it makes no sense to ask for it regarding a translation or quality of translation. Well, if they want it, they can be in contact with translators whose CAT provides it.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
カナダ
英語
+ ...
Difference between .tmp and .bak Feb 22, 2011

John is absolutely right about .bak. But there’s a difference between .tmp and .bak.

.bak backup files are normally versions of your working files at some point in the past. It might be your last-saved version, an “auto-saved” copy, or it might be something else, but if you know what program has created it, you can normally expect to rename it back to the correct extension, open the backup copy, and you’d get the old version back. (And that’s why AutoCAD .bak files will be
... See more
John is absolutely right about .bak. But there’s a difference between .tmp and .bak.

.bak backup files are normally versions of your working files at some point in the past. It might be your last-saved version, an “auto-saved” copy, or it might be something else, but if you know what program has created it, you can normally expect to rename it back to the correct extension, open the backup copy, and you’d get the old version back. (And that’s why AutoCAD .bak files will be useless, because they will be CAD drawings which will have nothing to do with translation.) They can be anything, but they normally contain meaningful content that you can recover.

.tmp files, on the other hand, are entirely random intermediate files. Any program can generate them, and they can contain any random data that the program happens to want to stash somewhere. If the program that generates such a file is not running, about the only thing that you can do with it is to put it in the trash. (Some programs might use them for auto-recovery, but if it’s been sitting there for months it’s probably only good for the trash.)

[Edited at 2011-02-22 22:35 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any experience, recommendations regarding BAK Files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »