Which CAT tool is the best one in your opinion?
Thread poster: Ehsan Karimi
Ehsan Karimi
Ehsan Karimi
Iran
Local time: 04:24
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2011

Salam!
First I think it's better to explain my situation:
1. I'm Self Employed: I only for direct clients and never work for agencies, so I can use any CAT tool!
2. price doesnt matter.
Now questions; Please answer each one seperately: (:
1. Which software is better and which one is more user friendly?
2. I need a software that can make a relation between translated and orginal text. For instance When I cli
... See more
Salam!
1. I'm Self Employed: I only for direct clients and never work for agencies, so I can use any CAT tool!
2. price doesnt matter.
Now questions; Please answer each one seperately: (:
2. I need a software that can make a relation between translated and orginal text. For instance When I click on a word in original text it can find translated one; and when I scroll in the original it scrolls in translated. Do you know any software like this?
3. Which word macros do you know in microsoft office? Can you introduce me some useful?
4. Do you know where can I find good translation memories?
Sorry if I wasted your golden time...
Best regards and Wassalam.

[Edited at 2011-02-08 21:00 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Some answers Feb 8, 2011

Which CAT tool is the one best for me?

The one you try out and like best

See above. This is very subjective and highly depends on your personal preferences.

2. I need a software that can make a relation between translated and orginal text. For instance When I click on a word in original text it can find translated one; and when I scroll in the original it scrolls in translated. Do you know any software like this?

Personally, I do not know about a software that actually scrolls to the translated word in the target text, but all CATs have a search function (called Scan, Concordance or something similar, depending on the product). This leads you to previous translations of the given string.

3. Which word macros do you know in microsoft office? Can you introduce me some useful?

Do I understand you correctly that you want to stick to Microsoft Word as your working environment? Then your CAT choices are limited to Wordfast Classic, old style SDL Trados or Metatexis (and some other products I might not know).

No, never used other TMs than my own ones or the ones I get from colleagues and clients.

Roberto Lipani
Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
Italian to English
+ ...
The CAT tool I would recommend... Feb 9, 2011

Hi,
I have read your question and thought to share my experience with you since I think our situation is quite similar.
When I started to work as a freelance, I noticed that a CAT tool was highly recommended, above all to ensure term consistency and facilitate the translation activity.
At first I did not know much about CAT tools, so I started to read a little on the subject. Then I did two things:

-Acquired a free CAT tool which allowed me to familiarize with t
... See more
Hi,
I have read your question and thought to share my experience with you since I think our situation is quite similar.
When I started to work as a freelance, I noticed that a CAT tool was highly recommended, above all to ensure term consistency and facilitate the translation activity.
At first I did not know much about CAT tools, so I started to read a little on the subject. Then I did two things:

-Acquired a free CAT tool which allowed me to familiarize with the technique and the software (in some aspects, translation with CAT tools is quite "different").
-I purchased a cat tool which granted compatibility with other cat tools and had most of the features I had read about. My aim was also the price: it had to be affordable and provide a good documentation.

What you can do is to visit the websites and read the main characteristics of the cat tools you are interested in. My choice, for different reasons, was Alchemy Publisher 3.0
I think it is a good cat tool in itself, it allows you to handle most of the file formats in use and provides well balanced features.
The interface is quite intuitive.
As for the TM, I normally use my own ones, that is, the TM of the text I have translated. But, as you know, with a cat tool you can combine different glossaries and tms in a single project

Hope this can help (I am sorry if the answer was a bit long maybe, but it's not so easy to be coincise sometimes

Regards, Roberto
Collapse

Valerie35 (X)
Valerie35 (X)
German to English
My opinion only Feb 9, 2011

My opinion:

Best CAT tool: Deja Vu DVX (best from the standpoint of functionality, NOT the best with regard to other things like customer service or update promises - DVX2 was supposed to be imminently available several months ago)

Worst CAT tool: Trados (worst from the standpoint that I couldn't even activate the thing so I thankfully returned to DVX, it's functionality is a worse copy of the DVX - Memoq -type format, and customer service is arrogant or non-existent)... See more
My opinion:

Best CAT tool: Deja Vu DVX (best from the standpoint of functionality, NOT the best with regard to other things like customer service or update promises - DVX2 was supposed to be imminently available several months ago)

Worst CAT tool: Trados (worst from the standpoint that I couldn't even activate the thing so I thankfully returned to DVX, it's functionality is a worse copy of the DVX - Memoq -type format, and customer service is arrogant or non-existent)

I've also tried Wordfast (OK), but I haven't yet tried Memoq (supposedly a not-quite-as-developed version of DVX, but with up-and-coming development people).

Just my opinion.
Collapse

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 10:54
English
+ ...
automatic dictionary lookup Feb 9, 2011

Personally, I do not know about a software that actually scrolls to the translated word in the target text, but all CATs have a search function (called Scan, Concordance or something similar, depending on the product). This leads you to previous translations of the given string.

memoQ has a "EuroTermBank" plugin, which connects to a large glossary system. I personally don't find it very useful, because words can have many meanings and the suggested translation is not always the right one (just think of how many ways you can translate the word "good" into your language!), but it's an amusing function nonetheless. It highlights some of the source language words and presents a translation in the same sidebar as TM lookup results and concordance.

However, if you are looking for software that will make a direct correlation between a source word and a translated word... well, Google translate does just that

[Edited at 2011-02-09 06:04 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
More questions Feb 9, 2011

haghju wrote:
1. I only for direct clients and never work for agencies.
2. Price doesnt matter.

I can't help... but I can tell you what other questions you should ask:

* Do you usually have large projects or small projects?
* If you had to choose between more speed but less consistency, and more consistency but less speed, which would you choose?
* What is your top 5 or top 10 most occurring source file formats? Or do you expect the CAT tool to be able to handle all formats?

I think all CAT tool vendors like to think that their software is the most user-friendly. What would be things that would cause software to be less user-friendly, in your personal opinion?

Most CAT tools actually work like that (or display the text in a way that makes both source and target text be displayed at the same time all the time), except that the smallest piece of text you can synchronise is not a single word, but a single sentence.

Unfortunately there is not a single vendor that sells TMs in all subject fields. Most places that sell or give away translation memories do so only for a very specific subject field, so it would depend on what subjects and what languages you're looking for.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check this website Feb 9, 2011

Hi

I would suggest checking out Jost Zetzsche's excellent website http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/ where they give you a detailed video showing you loads of CAT tools, it takes while to look at all the videos, but if you are serious about this it will be worth your time.

This said the CAT tool you use might not necessarily be the one you would choose yourself, wh
... See more
Hi

I would suggest checking out Jost Zetzsche's excellent website http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/ where they give you a detailed video showing you loads of CAT tools, it takes while to look at all the videos, but if you are serious about this it will be worth your time.

This said the CAT tool you use might not necessarily be the one you would choose yourself, why? because if, as in my case, your two major clients use a particular tool (Wordfast) that is the one you end up using
Collapse

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
German to Lithuanian
Star Transit Feb 10, 2011

Star Transit XV.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »