AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
フランス
Local time: 17:47
ドイツ語 から フランス語
+ ...
Oct 27, 2010

Hi,
I am looking for a software which compares 2 versions of the same document (here Word) and highlights the differences.

Background: I translated a book; going through the final version (for printing) I noticed several gross grammatical errors which were introduced by somebody along the chain who ment probably to make valuable amendments - alas! some more rework for me now.

Thanks for any hints!

Best regards,

Anne-Marie

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
英語 から ノルウェー語
Use Word Oct 27, 2010

This function is already in Word.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
タイ
Local time: 22:47
英語 から タイ語
+ ...
Use MS Word and ... Oct 27, 2010

MS Word functions are good for this job. But paragraph/sentence based comparison is the most effective (with different paragraph structures, comparison can be very confusing)

Soonthon Lupkitaro

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
フランス
フランス語 から オランダ語
+ ...
CompaeIt Oct 27, 2010

Hi Anne-Marie,

I used CompareIt for a while
http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche10288-compare-it.html

Good luck
Nicolette

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
オランダ
2006に入会
英語 から アフリカーンス語
+ ...
If plaintext... Oct 27, 2010

AnneMarieG wrote:
I am looking for a software which compares 2 versions of the same document (here Word) and highlights the differences.

If you can convert the text reliably into plain text, then you can use any "diff" type of program to do it.

WinMerge works on Windows and has several options (e.g. ignoring white space or ignoring extra line breaks). I'm not sure if WinMerge can export a DIFF file, but it can "generate a report" in HTML format that shows the differences. Winmerge shows differences up to the word level (not up to the character level).

ExamDiff's free version can also do comparisons, but shows differences only up to the line level (not the character level, which is what the Pro version is for). ExamDiff can export a Unix DIFF file, which shows only the differences in a very simple format.

Lefand
Lefand  Identity Verified
ラトビア
Local time: 18:47
2008に入会
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
MS Word functions are good for this job... Oct 27, 2010

May I ask, how MS Word can HIGHLIGHT the differences between two compared texts?

AnneMarieG
フランス
ドイツ語 から フランス語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Word functions Oct 27, 2010

Hi,
I do not know this specific function; where can I find it, what do I need to do? This would be the easiest solution indeed!

And, yes, there are some changes in paragraphs and sentences, but I could do it chapterwise.

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Have a good day.

Anne-Marie

Per Magnus
英語 から ノルウェー語
Marking of differences Oct 27, 2010

Lefand wrote: May I ask, how MS Word can HIGHLIGHT the differences between two compared texts?

With different colors, strikethrough, emphasize and underline. Try it out, it is easy.

Per Magnus
英語 から ノルウェー語
How to do it Oct 27, 2010

AnneMarieG wrote: I do not know this specific function; where can I find it, what do I need to do? This would be the easiest solution indeed! Anne-Marie

That depends on your version of Word; try http://www.google.no/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=track%20changes%20word

and

http://www.google.no/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=word%20compare%20documents

[Edited at 2010-10-27 12:25 GMT]

Lefand
Lefand  Identity Verified
ラトビア
Local time: 18:47
2008に入会
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
Using WinAlign and Trados Oct 27, 2010

Once I compared 2 big texts (File 1 and File 2) in such way:
1. I prepared TM in Trados via WinAlign (both Source and Target files were File 1) -> WinAlign Export and following Import into empty TM.
2. Then I begin translation of File 2 with Trados, making Fuzzy translation.
3. When Trados stopped Fuzy translation, that meant that open segment differed from source segment (that is File 2 differed from File 1).

AnneMarieG
フランス
ドイツ語 から フランス語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Word Oct 27, 2010

Thanks a lot girls and guys!

Thanks to a colleague who sent me an email directly, I found it under word (Windows 7): revision > compare.
There you need to choose 2 files to compare and it provides 3 screens: the orginal file, the file to be compared and the revised version including all changes.

Very helpful indeed!

Thanks to all, you saved my day - or at least several hours of struggling...
See more
Thanks a lot girls and guys!

Thanks to a colleague who sent me an email directly, I found it under word (Windows 7): revision > compare.
There you need to choose 2 files to compare and it provides 3 screens: the orginal file, the file to be compared and the revised version including all changes.

Very helpful indeed!

Thanks to all, you saved my day - or at least several hours of struggling

Best regards,

Anne-Marie
Collapse

Agnese Gorgolini
Agnese Gorgolini  Identity Verified
イタリア
フランス語 から イタリア語
+ ...
When working with bilingual files, try APSIC Comparator Oct 28, 2010

Hi all,
maybe this was not Anne Marie's case, but in the past I've been comparing changes made on bilingual files using ApSIC Comparator.
You can dowload it for free here:

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_comparator.html

Have a nice day!
Agnese

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Natalie[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a comparison software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »