TranslationONE  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
English to German
+ ...
Nov 18, 2014

Dear colleagues,
a recent scam targeting translators uses the following MO:
- the scammer is referred to the translator by a networking contact
- it may be that the contact already forwards the text to be translated to the translator
- the scammer accepts the suggested price without question
- the scammer then informs the translator that he/she has no access to bank transfer or PayPal and suggests payment by bank check
- the scammer then writes that the bank h
... See more
Dear colleagues,
a recent scam targeting translators uses the following MO:
- the scammer is referred to the translator by a networking contact
- it may be that the contact already forwards the text to be translated to the translator
- the scammer accepts the suggested price without question
- the scammer then informs the translator that he/she has no access to bank transfer or PayPal and suggests payment by bank check
- the scammer then writes that the bank has made an error and included another payment on the same check
- the scammer asks the translator to forward the "other" payment
Of course, bank checks are a nuisance and take forever to get cleared. So, suddenly the other payment is "urgent"
Please be careful and check your clients thoroughly, before you agree to any such terms!
Regards
Karoline
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Old as the hills Nov 18, 2014

That scam is as old as the hills. You never take a check at face value. You always await receipt of "good funds". You do not heed the "urgent" demands of others. Thus you never get burned.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:14
English to French
Not only translators Nov 18, 2014

It's only a variation of the well-known Nigerian scam.
I have one of those Deutsche Bank cheques in my drawer, send by an alleged British citizen from France, who wanted a translation readily available on the Web (Wikipedia article). When I received the cheque with a larger amount than required, I emailed them the link to the translated article to thank them for the effort. With our compliments.

They also target sellers of second-hand stuff. When selling a used couch, I was o
... See more
It's only a variation of the well-known Nigerian scam.
I have one of those Deutsche Bank cheques in my drawer, send by an alleged British citizen from France, who wanted a translation readily available on the Web (Wikipedia article). When I received the cheque with a larger amount than required, I emailed them the link to the translated article to thank them for the effort. With our compliments.

They also target sellers of second-hand stuff. When selling a used couch, I was offered more money through Paypal in order to deal with carrier pick-up, and I was supposed to send the money for the carrier to some Western Union account or something. I guess the Paypal payment would have been withdrawn as soon as I had sent my real money.

Any winding payment process is bound to be a scam.

Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: scam targeting translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »