Thread poster: Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:56
French to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2014

A few times a year I enter my name into Google to see what's listed on me. This time, I was surprised to see my name appearing on a site hitherto unknown to me, http://who.translation.directory (also accessible as http://search.translation.directory ). Not that I would ordinarily mind a listing - after all, me... See more
A few times a year I enter my name into Google to see what's listed on me. This time, I was surprised to see my name appearing on a site hitherto unknown to me, http://who.translation.directory (also accessible as http://search.translation.directory ). Not that I would ordinarily mind a listing - after all, me and my business appear on a number of sites replicating the data from the Commercial Register of the Czech Republic. What I seriously disliked on this particular site were three things:

1. The manner of presentation: "My name is Xxx Yyy, and I work as a freelance translator...", and so on in the first person, which is a style I never use.
2. Judging by the content, the information seems to be gleaned from ProZ, but in an arbitrary manner - in particular, only two of my language pairs are listed.
3. The site provides no information whatsoever about its owner, no real-world address or telephone, no terms of use, no privacy policy - nothing at all, and no way to contact its staff other than through a built-in online chat facility (which at this moment is offline, let's see what happens during the day).

A WHOIS query shows the site registrant to be from the UK and, accordingly, subject to the British data protection legislation. I haven't yet studied it in detail, but my first impression is that the site should have asked my permission.

I also tried entering the names of a few fellow ProZians in the form http://who.translation.directory/namesurname (without spaces) - some people are listed, some are not.

Dear colleagues, what do you think?

[Edited at 2014-11-09 21:36 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Me too! Nov 9, 2014

My name is listed too!

This is unacceptable.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
So's mine :-( Nov 9, 2014

Plus my photo.

Letizia Olivieri
Letizia Olivieri  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
And mine! Nov 9, 2014

I don't like it.
What about the "More details about me shall follow shortly!" part?

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
Is anybody NOT included? Nov 10, 2014

"Translation, Interpreting, Editing/proofreading, Website Localization, Software Localization, Voiceover (dubbing), Subtitling, Post-editing, Transcription, Training, Desktop Publishing and...
Jan 31, 2001 ...
My name is Alexander Kupriyanchuk, and I work as a freelance translator for the company Alexander Kupriyanchuk."

What a style! What a date...

However, I think we could have our our data removed from this self-cooked website rather easily.

... See more
"Translation, Interpreting, Editing/proofreading, Website Localization, Software Localization, Voiceover (dubbing), Subtitling, Post-editing, Transcription, Training, Desktop Publishing and...
Jan 31, 2001 ...
My name is Alexander Kupriyanchuk, and I work as a freelance translator for the company Alexander Kupriyanchuk."

What a style! What a date...

However, I think we could have our our data removed from this self-cooked website rather easily.

[Edited at 2014-11-10 05:36 GMT]
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 23:56
Russian to English
+ ...
Hey, I am flattered. Nov 10, 2014

I'm there too, under my own glorious moniker. Heck, I should have called myself Old Man Jenkins, or Fido the Zombie or something, it would sound so much more convincing! Or maybe it's not too late yet?

On a serious note, does anyone still need any more proof that it may not be such a good idea to use your own name here?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:56
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This site is connected to a LinkedIn Group, see more info here Nov 10, 2014

https://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=7499660

About this Group

Created: April 17, 2014
Type: Professional Group
Members: 163
Subgroups: 14

Owner: Translation Directory
Managers: Jack Stewart
... See more
https://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=7499660

About this Group

Created: April 17, 2014
Type: Professional Group
Members: 163
Subgroups: 14

Owner: Translation Directory
Managers: Jack Stewart

Also:
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=335375693&authType=name&authToken=hx2n&goback=.anb_7499660_*2_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1&trk=groups%2Fabout-r-memID

As to Jack Stewart, this is what I found on LinkedIn:

Jack Stewart

Director at zMob Mobility

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Computer Software

Now, I cannot send a message to this guy on neither pages, because I am not connected to them.
And frankly, I don't wish to be.
However, Enrique Cavalitto of ProZ.com is listed as a 1st connection.
Perhaps he could contact this guy and request him to take down all this harvested data. (I sent him a message about this.)

P.S: My info is there, too. It is harvested from ProZ, and messed up the same way as the others. Plus, non-ASCII characters are missing.

[Edited at 2014-11-10 05:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-10 05:42 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Me as well Nov 10, 2014

I am there as well... Without any language pairs though!......

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Translators are welcome to contact us...... Nov 10, 2014

And they present it as if we registered:

"This is a free service, and translation professionals are welcome to contact us regarding becoming part of our network."

[Modifié le 2014-11-10 06:57 GMT]

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:56
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Me too, and my Skype address Nov 10, 2014

Something tells me that it is a Middle East scam - my Proz.com profile has been recently visited several times by somebody with an IP address in Gaza.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I'm flattered Nov 10, 2014

Yep, I'm there too. Complete with Skype name, LinkedIn profile, Twitter feed... Fantastic :/

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Me too! Nov 10, 2014

Although with a faulty/incomplete entry regarding the services I offer, although they do mention all my language pairs.

Correcting it, however, requires to log in to their site... which I am not the elast interested in doing. If they offer services under my name, they're liable for any problems.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
English to German
Not me! Nov 10, 2014

However, I have not been with Proz, LinkedIn etc for long.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Offer yourself (your fake profile) ... Nov 10, 2014

... a job (under a fake email adress) and wait, what happens. I am affected too, and I have hit the "contact" button together with a fake job offer under a fake name. So far nothing happened, but I recommend to do so all of you as well to fool this "service". It surely represents a scammer.

Agnes Lenkey
Agnes Lenkey  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
I'm there, too :( Nov 10, 2014

Hi all,

I would like to delete my info from this site as well, even if my info is "quite" correct. I really dislike to be listed in places where I did not register for myself. Visibility is good, but it should be controlled by the individual/company himself.

Thank you Katalin for all this information and research. I see that Mr. Jack Stewart has only 4 contacts. I am not part of any LinkedIn group associated to him. Let's hope Enrique Cavalitto can contact this guy. ... See more
Hi all,

I would like to delete my info from this site as well, even if my info is "quite" correct. I really dislike to be listed in places where I did not register for myself. Visibility is good, but it should be controlled by the individual/company himself.

Thank you Katalin for all this information and research. I see that Mr. Jack Stewart has only 4 contacts. I am not part of any LinkedIn group associated to him. Let's hope Enrique Cavalitto can contact this guy.

If there is any news, please share!

Thanks and a good day to all of you,

Agnes

P.S. Matthias, please advise us about any new information, let's see if you find out something. Thanks!!

[Edited at 2014-11-10 10:15 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unauthorised directory listing

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »