E-Mail Scam targeted at Interpreters
Thread poster: Ulrike Lieder (X)
Almost Scammed
Almost Scammed
English
Can we "catch this guy" Aug 1, 2005

Here's the latest email this evening:

"My dear ....."

I am so highly glad to have this done with your services. You are such a wonderful person. I am now eagerly worried to meet you in person. I am proudly saying yes to your charges having communicated it to my sponsor.

Having communicated it to my European sponsor and he has informed me that he will be able to cover your cost to make sure immediate arrangement for my wife interpreter is ready before our
... See more
Here's the latest email this evening:

"My dear ....."

I am so highly glad to have this done with your services. You are such a wonderful person. I am now eagerly worried to meet you in person. I am proudly saying yes to your charges having communicated it to my sponsor.

Having communicated it to my European sponsor and he has informed me that he will be able to cover your cost to make sure immediate arrangement for my wife interpreter is ready before our departure. He said he will make sure you have recieved the cheque and cashed it before our departure.

Due to the fact that my sponsor came on board after my travelling arrangements have been concluded with my travelling agent, he has agreed to pay the cost incured with my travelling agent (that is our cost of flight tickets). He said that he will pay out all the cost of our trip in one cheque in your name so that when you cash the cheque, you will take your own amount for the interpreting charges and then send the balance to the travelling agent to cover the cost for our flight tickets.

Please confirm to me that you will send the balance of the excess money that will be sent to you to the travel agent to enable him release our flight tickets to meet with you.

Endeavour to do confirm this as quickly as possible so that he send the cheque that it gets to you on tome. My telephone number you can call me for discussion is 01123-480-3498-0844. I await your urgent reply.

Thanks and God bless you.

His lordship,
Bishop Mensah"

ANYWAY I THINK EVEN IF I HADNT FOUND OUT EARLIER THIS AFTERNOON, BY NOW I HOPE I WOULD HAVE FIGURED OUT THIS WAS A SCAM. WHAT CAN I DO? CAN I JUST WAIT FOR THE CHECK TO ARRIVE AND THEN BRING IT TO THE POLICE WITH COPIES OF THE EMAILS?
or SHOULD I EMAIL HIM BACK AND TELL HIM I KNOW ITS A SCAM?
Someone please respond. Thanks. I would sure like to catch this guy!

Interpreter in Oregon (sign language)
Collapse

Paul Gillispie
Paul Gillispie
English to Sign Language
+ ...
It's hit the ASL Interpreters on the East Coast as well..... Aug 4, 2005

This thing has hit the ASL Interpreters on the east coast as well.... unfortunatly I'm not sure that there is much we can do other than reporting it as spam ot our ISP's.

ANYWAY I THINK EVEN IF I HADNT FOUND OUT EARLIER THIS AFTERNOON, BY NOW I HOPE I WOULD HAVE FIGURED OUT THIS WAS A SCAM. WHAT CAN I DO? CAN I JUST WAIT FOR THE CHECK TO ARRIVE AND THEN BRING IT TO THE POLICE WITH COPIES OF THE EMAILS?
Someon
... See more
This thing has hit the ASL Interpreters on the east coast as well.... unfortunatly I'm not sure that there is much we can do other than reporting it as spam ot our ISP's.

Someone please respond. Thanks. I would sure like to catch this guy!

Interpreter in Oregon (sign language)[/quote]
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
It's probably best to just ignore them Aug 4, 2005

Paul Gillispie wrote:

nfortunatly I'm not sure that there is much we can do other than reporting it as spam ot our ISP's.

[/quote]

I am not entirely convinced that your ISP would even give a flying rat's patootie.

I believe it's the FBI that maintains a cyberfraud website (google around on a term like "Nigerian spam" or so, and you should find the appropriate links) where you can report these attempts at fraud, and where you can also find plenty of warnings about them.

Also, I strongly suspect that this is not "one guy", but rather a whole slew of wannabe crooks who are trying to pull the wool over some unsuspecting linguist's eyes. Many ISPs have some sort of spam filter (for instance, SpamCop) where you might be able to set filters so as to keep these messages from ever reaching your inbox.

It seems to me, though, that the best and easiest way to deal with these spammers is to simply delete their messages and not respond. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true. (I have yet to find a client who will pay me my daily interpeting fee to accompany his wife and kids on shopping trips for 5 hours a day for 10 days.) If they do not tell you how they found you, and if they were not referred by a legitimate, trusted source, chances are that they are not legit. A little common sense on our part, and even some healthy mistrust should go a long way here. And quite frankly, I consider them to be too minor a nuisance to try and go after them. Just ignore them and get on with the important things in your life.

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not unhappy any more Aug 4, 2005

Until now, I felt unhappy and discriminated, since had not been contacted by Bishops or Princes.

Today things have changed.

The good Bishop Samuel Ata Samuel Atah from Ghana is coming to Vienne, Autriche on holidays with his wife, this time Hungarian, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5. Obviously, he would like to pay in advance.

My world is now in order !

Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:03
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well done, Sandra!! Aug 4, 2005

Sandra Alboum wrote:

Here was my (rather funny, I thought) exchange this evening. I figured I might as well try my best, right? I mean, I needed a good laugh:

Ahmed,

Thanks for your email. Yes, I am interested. My rate is $1000/day, and I would expect your clients to pay for my transportation, hotels, and food.

As this is an international job with international clients, I would require a prepayment of the expected job fees via Paypal. Two weeks at $1000/day is $14,000. Therefore, I would need a minimum of $7000 to book me for this time. Payment would need to be received by COB Monday, July 11, 2005. Please keep in mind that I am on EST, which is GMT -500.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Sandra

---

Dear Sandra,

The effective date would be 20th July and your advance payment would be sent before then. However since you are going to be representing my clients for an extended period, I request a 30% discount.

Also, please note that I am not a Paypal user, your fee would be mailed to you in form of check which you can immediately access if deposited with your bank.

Kindly consider the above and reach me back with you comments.

Thank you.

Ahmed.

---

Dear Ahmed,

Unfortunately, I only work with Paypal for projects such as these where I know neither the person who is hiring me nor the person who I am working for. It helps to avoid the check scams that are rampant in our industry.

I am sure that you will understand. If you would be so kind as to pay me via Paypal, I would happy to give you a 35% discount.

Best,
Sandra

--

Needless to say, he didn't particularly care for the fact that I called his bluff and raised him 5%

Sandra

Thank you for your email.

I could definitely take your money order. However, the cash would not clear until long after July 20th, when this job supposedly is to begin. By then, I'm sure you will have emailed me and told me that the job has been shortened or cancelled, and asked for a partial (or whole) refund. And -- because you must think I was born yesterday -- you'll want me to write you a check based on the assumption that the money order is going to clear. I'll do that, you'll receive my check, and pocket the money. And then... surprise! Your money order will turn out to be bogus! IMAGINE THAT!

Next time, try being a little more original in working your scam. This one is far too common. Maybe you could tell me that you had $10 million dollars that you needed to get out of Nigeria because you're the son of the ex-King of Mumbutzi?! If so, I have a bridge I can sell you.

Regards,
Sandra

[Edited at 2005-07-10 15:21]

Your reply was brilliant! I admit I took the bait at first but then after having done an Internet check, I found out it was a scam. I told him that I wouldn't be able to take the job after all because I had to urgently fly to Nigeria to take care of some banking business!
Saludos,
Lynda

Almost Scammed
Almost Scammed
English
Got another email from the bishop -- Here's my response. Aug 5, 2005

Hello he emailed me again. I'm sure he didn't send a check this way, but this was my response. This should be the end of it. I can't believe I didn't see it right from the beginning -- it's just that our agency had received a request last month by email for a church convention in another town. I coordinated that -- 3 interpreters were happy and all was good. I thought it was something like that!
Ugggg --

Hello --

I am in receipt of your email. I un
... See more
Hello he emailed me again. I'm sure he didn't send a check this way, but this was my response. This should be the end of it. I can't believe I didn't see it right from the beginning -- it's just that our agency had received a request last month by email for a church convention in another town. I coordinated that -- 3 interpreters were happy and all was good. I thought it was something like that!
Ugggg --

Hello --

I am in receipt of your email. I understand now that you have been targeting interpreters all over the
United States. You should be arrested and put in jail for fraud. International fraud at that! I
won't be touching your check since you have been lying to all interpreters around the country.
I pity you - you have no heart. I can't believe you would use a "bishop" name for someone as
yourself who is no better than pond scum.
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: The Cheque is despatched.

My dear _________,

This is to inform you that my sponsor has confirmed to me that he has despatched the cheque to you from Spain.

It is expected that you will receive it in the next few day, probably next week. I have given you this information before.

Please confirm to that you received this mail.

As you receive this mail endeavour to call me on line: 01123-480-3498-0844.

God bless and be with you.

His lordship,
Bishop A. Mensah.
Collapse

NebNTRPRTR
NebNTRPRTR
English
Ghana SCAM Aug 5, 2005

Hello. I live in Nebraska, United States. I am a Sign Language Interpreter and the same scam came across my email a week ago. It is the exact same wording as all the others except his wife only speaks in Sign Language. I replied to this email and accpeted the job and also told him my fees. After a few emails between us I started to figure it was a scam. I have contacted the police and they have started a criminal investigation. They also emailed this person and let him know what they are doing. ... See more
Hello. I live in Nebraska, United States. I am a Sign Language Interpreter and the same scam came across my email a week ago. It is the exact same wording as all the others except his wife only speaks in Sign Language. I replied to this email and accpeted the job and also told him my fees. After a few emails between us I started to figure it was a scam. I have contacted the police and they have started a criminal investigation. They also emailed this person and let him know what they are doing. Bishop Mensah has since responded to tell me my cheque has been sent even after the police has told him they are investigating him. He even changed his email address. I was told by the police to wait for the check to come in and call them immediatly. I hope this person or persons get caught. I am shocked to see how many languages, names and places he is traveling I am glad that there are these message boards to keep us informed all over the world. My advise to the Interpreter in Oregon. Contact your local police. They may think you are silly at first but show him all the emails and this message board and if you want I will send you a copy of my original email and the others from him to support you. Good luck!!

NebNTRPRTR
Collapse

Lace
Lace
English to Sign Language
+ ...
I received the same scam as well.. didnt know 1 person could be at several places at once! Aug 15, 2005

Wow, I was skeptical about this assignment, but agreed to do it anyway. I should have gone with my gut feeling. What made me doubt more was the fact that 'Bishop Asante Mensah' said his flight expenses would be included in the check with my interpreting fee. When i didnt receive the check and he said he was STILL coming down (TODAY as a matter of fact!), I questioned him. I asked for an exact meeting place and he has yet to get back to me. This is the latest email from him. PLEASE BE AWARE!... See more
Wow, I was skeptical about this assignment, but agreed to do it anyway. I should have gone with my gut feeling. What made me doubt more was the fact that 'Bishop Asante Mensah' said his flight expenses would be included in the check with my interpreting fee. When i didnt receive the check and he said he was STILL coming down (TODAY as a matter of fact!), I questioned him. I asked for an exact meeting place and he has yet to get back to me. This is the latest email from him. PLEASE BE AWARE! Thanks to this site, I will now be more thorough in my research with regard to accepting these types of assignments.

Lace,
NYC Sign Language Interpreter

------
Bishop Asante Mensah wrote:

My dear,

Thanks. first I am very surprise you did not get the attached interpreting invoice. Here I attach it again.

Please note that we are still coming because I am sure my sponsor has sent the cheque to you. The delay must be as a result of delay in inter country posting. This delay may only alter already scheduled date of flight. But one thing rest assured is that we are still coming.

God be with you till we meet by next week.

Bishop Mensah.

----
Lace wrote:
Dear Bishop Mensah,

As of today, Friday 8/13/05, I have NOT yet receieved the check from your sponsor. I understand you expect to use that for your flight tickets as well as my interpeting fee. Do you still plan on flying in this Monday 8/15?? If so, please note, until the check arrives, payment for services will be due on a per-day basis. Upon clearance of the check, I will deduct the amount paid to date and retract the balance of the fee due for the days remaining.
Should your trip be cancelled or postponed because of the check delay, please let me know so that I can rearange my schedule accordingly.

----

------------------------
NebNTRPRTR wrote:

Hello. I live in Nebraska, United States. I am a Sign Language Interpreter and the same scam came across my email a week ago. It is the exact same wording as all the others except his wife only speaks in Sign Language. I replied to this email and accpeted the job and also told him my fees. After a few emails between us I started to figure it was a scam. I have contacted the police and they have started a criminal investigation. They also emailed this person and let him know what they are doing. Bishop Mensah has since responded to tell me my cheque has been sent even after the police has told him they are investigating him. He even changed his email address. I was told by the police to wait for the check to come in and call them immediatly. I hope this person or persons get caught. I am shocked to see how many languages, names and places he is traveling I am glad that there are these message boards to keep us informed all over the world. My advise to the Interpreter in Oregon. Contact your local police. They may think you are silly at first but show him all the emails and this message board and if you want I will send you a copy of my original email and the others from him to support you. Good luck!!

NebNTRPRTR
Collapse

snatalieg
snatalieg  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Interpreter Service for Biship's wife Oct 9, 2005

I received the same from:

Bishop Edward Opoko.
Direct Line: 011233 244-033930
Direct Fax: 011233 277-900-032

Thanks to you all for the info!!

Antonella Amato
Antonella Amato  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Bishop in Italy Oct 18, 2005

The wandering bishop intented to visit Italy as well.

I could not figure out why his Italian wife would need an Italian interpreter in Italy!!

So I just told the bishop that I was not available.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nigerian Government trying to combat spammers... Oct 18, 2005

Not sure if the "Bishop" and his family are operating from Nigeria or elsewhere, but here is an article about how Nigerian government together with Microsoft have joined forces to combat fraudsters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4343926.stm

The Nigerian government is also considering making spamming a criminal offence punishable with jail terms of up to three years.

Hope they will consider it soon ...

The article also says:

Mr Ribadi advises recipients of such scam letters not to reply, but to forward them to law enforcement authorities in their own country who, in their turn, will forward the messages to the EFCC.

- Mr Ribadi being Nigerian Government Official and EFFC is Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission which "is currently investigating hundreds of suspects."

Stay all alerted to "bishops" and "princes"!

Magda

[Edited at 2005-10-18 14:17]

Nadia Oparista
Nadia Oparista
United States
Local time: 16:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Another scam: Sign Language Interpreter for pastor's wife from Ghana Jan 18, 2006

Dear Sign Language Interpreters and agency owners,

Please beware of another scam: Request via-email for Sign Language Interpreter for pastor's wife from Ghana. I received the following request (please see pasted below) for several times already. 'Pastor' is asking 'Which part of the States are your residing?' It seems like they don't know where to go yet...

"You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: BARRISTER APOSTLE ROBERT ASANTE
[NOTE:
... See more
Dear Sign Language Interpreters and agency owners,

Please beware of another scam: Request via-email for Sign Language Interpreter for pastor's wife from Ghana. I received the following request (please see pasted below) for several times already. 'Pastor' is asking 'Which part of the States are your residing?' It seems like they don't know where to go yet...

"You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: BARRISTER APOSTLE ROBERT ASANTE
[NOTE: The author is not a ProZ.com member or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 80.179.249.37
Message type: Job-related
-----------

Dear Sir,
I am a human right activist and a pastor from Ghana, and
my name is barrister Robert Asante
I need the service of an interpreter for my wife who is
hard of hearing and communicates in sign language.
We will be coming to America on the 20th of Feb 2006 for a
10 days Vacation with our daughter of the age 7
We will require the services of the sign language
interpreter for 4 hours daily,12noon to 4pm) this could be adjusted to suit your convinence Hence this is a sponsored vacation, we will like to pay in advance of our visit so she and our darling daughter of 7
years of age will be assured of an interpreter during our visit
because this is our first visit .
Which part of the States are your residing?
An early reply will be appreciated.
Please acknowledge if you can offer this service ASAP and
give me a price quote, as time is not really on our side hence my
sponsor will be paying for your services with cashier's check
Send your reply to my [email protected],
please give me your private phone numbers so that I can
call you on phone to quicken the process.
Looking forward to hearing from you urgently
Remain Blessed,
Barrister ROBERT ASANTE"
Collapse

Nadia Oparista
Nadia Oparista
United States
Local time: 16:03
Russian to English
+ ...
More scam from Rev. Dr. Mensah from Ghana... Jan 24, 2006

[quote]Lace wrote:

Wow, I was skeptical about this assignment, but agreed to do it anyway. I should have gone with my gut feeling. What made me doubt more was the fact that 'Bishop Asante Mensah' said his flight expenses would be included in the check with my interpreting fee. When i didnt receive the check and he said he was STILL coming down (TODAY as a matter of fact!), I questioned him.
More scam! Here is what I received today from "Rev. Dr. Mensah from Ghana" Now he needs Arabic Interpreter... Beware of this scam:
from [80.87.89.82] by web36409.mail.mud.yahoo.com via HTTP; Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:14:43 PST
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:14:43 -0800 (PST)
From: "mensah john" Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
Subject: interprater services needed

I am Rev. Dr. Mensah John and I am an English speaking clergy from Ghana. I will be coming over Minneapolis MN in the U.S on holidays from 10th of Feb to the 20th of Feb 2006 for a 10 days Vacation with my wife, she is Arabic woman and my lovely daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
We will require the services of an interpreter for 7 hours daily,
12noon to 7pm, though this could be very flexibly, for 10 days. As i will not always be with them on most occasions due to other
seminars/conference which I will be attending. We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit to USA. An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service ASAP and give me a price quote, and it is most important, you immediately call me on my direct line (011 233 243 719963)
as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangements ASAP, as time is not really on our side.
Remain Blessed,
Rev. Dr. Mensah John
Direct Line: 011 233 243 719963

Kaz
Kaz  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
Japanese interpreter joining you Jan 25, 2006

This forum is one of the most informative and helpful one I have ever participated in. Dr. Mensah John certainly contacted me: an English speaking clergy from Ghana, planning to visit the U.S on holidays from 10th of Feb to the 20th of Feb 2006 for a 10 days Vacation with his Japanese wife, and lovely daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
I hope he/they will get arrested soon.
Rev. Dr. Mensah John
Office Line: 011233 243 515122
Direct Line: 011 233 243 71
... See more
This forum is one of the most informative and helpful one I have ever participated in. Dr. Mensah John certainly contacted me: an English speaking clergy from Ghana, planning to visit the U.S on holidays from 10th of Feb to the 20th of Feb 2006 for a 10 days Vacation with his Japanese wife, and lovely daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively.
I hope he/they will get arrested soon.
Rev. Dr. Mensah John
Office Line: 011233 243 515122
Direct Line: 011 233 243 719963
Email: [email protected]
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
And here's a new twist on the old scam Sep 22, 2006

Makes you wonder just how gullible these people think we are. I especially like the fact that the partying "truck driver" doesn't even specify the language pair for which he purports to need interpretation. But he is interested in age and marital status.
Needless to say, this "inquiry" got round-filed immediately.

So this is the latest varian
... See more
Makes you wonder just how gullible these people think we are. I especially like the fact that the partying "truck driver" doesn't even specify the language pair for which he purports to need interpretation. But he is interested in age and marital status.
Needless to say, this "inquiry" got round-filed immediately.

So this is the latest variant:

Goodday!
I'm Miller Darrell, am a Truck Driver based in Baltimore MD, (United States) Coming from a modest background, I emphasize simple pleasures and inspirational messages through my Job. As a devoted expressionist, I use my trucks as a vehicle to communicate and spread inherent life-affirming values.

We are having a Send off Party in our group and and we are looking for a Interpreters. I will like to know how many language you can interpretes and also to know your location and your price. The mode of payment will be via Cheque or Money Order. An excess of amount will be written on the cheque or money order and after sending you the payment you will have to cash the money on cheque or money order and deduct your money out and wire the remaning amount through Western Union Money Transfer or Money Gram to our Photographer in West Africa, becuase our photographer on that day will be coming from one Studio over there.

If you agree with this you can get back to me with the informations below:
(1) Your full name that the Money order/Cheque will be issued
(2) Your address where Money order/Cheque we be mailed out to, for you to go and cash.
(3) Your cell or direct phone number for easy communication.
(4) Age and marital status

Hope to read from you as soon as possible.
Regards
Miller

NOTE: The party will be 2 days party and we are needing you for the 2 days. Get back to me with your location and laguage you can interpretes and price.

[Edited at 2006-09-22 00:48]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-Mail Scam targeted at Interpreters

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »