Italy
Local time: 12:20
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 15, 2010

I have just received this strange email:

Hi all,

My name is Catriona McNeely and I am the GDT Team Lead in Lionbridge, Ballina. I received your contact details from our Vendor Database. We are currently running In-Country tests for Nokia, and require real credit cards in-country in order to complete testing. We have received an urgent request from Nokia to complete testing with an Italian Visa card , MasterCard or both.

... See more

Hi all,

My name is Catriona McNeely and I am the GDT Team Lead in Lionbridge, Ballina. I received your contact details from our Vendor Database. We are currently running In-Country tests for Nokia, and require real credit cards in-country in order to complete testing. We have received an urgent request from Nokia to complete testing with an Italian Visa card , MasterCard or both.

We need to purchases music from the Nokia music store for the test and the estimated cost is ~300-400Euro for the test purchases. We would reimburse this cost back to you once testing has been completed and receipts provided. Testing will take approximately 2-4 hours.

I would appreciate if you could help me out on this urgent project request or if you could put me in contact with some else that maybe able to help me out here.

Eagerly await your response.

Thanks in advance,

Catriona
Collapse

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
Romanian to English
+ ...
Report Sep 15, 2010

I think you should report this message to Nokia, including the sender's e-mail address and possibly their IP.

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What for? Sep 15, 2010

Annamaria Amik wrote:

I think you should report this message to Nokia, including the sender's e-mail address and possibly their IP.

What can Nokia do in your opinion? Nothingh, I guess.

He should report it to his internet provider, who can filter such scam.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
naive Sep 15, 2010

Bruno Depascale wrote:
We need to purchases music from the Nokia music store for the test and the estimated cost is ~300-400Euro for the test purchases. We would reimburse this cost back to you once testing has been completed and receipts provided.
Catriona

sure they will

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
English to German
+ ...
complete testing with (MAXING OUT OF) an (YOUR) Italian Visa card , MasterCard or both Sep 15, 2010

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Hi all,

We need to purchases music from the Nokia music store for the test and the estimated cost is ~300-400Euro for the test purchases. We would reimburse this cost back to you once testing has been completed and receipts provided. Testing will take approximately 2-4 hours.

I would appreciate if you could help me out on this urgent project request or if you could put me in contact with some else that maybe able to help me out here.

Eagerly await your response.

Thanks in advance,

Catriona

Hi Bruno,

maybe it's scam season - it's getting colder...
Yes, what a blatant and stupid attempt to steal from you.

You can always copy the text and the email and paste it into google to find out if the exact same scam has been used before.

Report this to your internet provider.

Ciao,

Bernhard

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Romanian to English
+ ...
Filtering Sep 16, 2010

Hans G. Liepert wrote:

Annamaria Amik wrote:

What can Nokia do in your opinion? Nothingh, I guess.

He should report it to his internet provider, who can filter such scam.

Well, in my country such attempts, e.g. frauds impersonating the bank, should be reported to the concerned entity. If it becomes widespread, Nokia could at least make a public statement warning people not to fall for such offers.

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Report it to Lionbridge, too Sep 16, 2010

Annamaria Amik wrote:

I think that reporting this message to Liobridge would also be a good idea. What worries me in this case is that the name of a legitimate agency is used, which means that we need to be more and more careful... What do you think?

[Edited at 2010-09-16 13:47 GMT]

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:20
English to Italian
+ ...
I received the same message... Sep 16, 2010

... a couple of days ago. I kindly declined the offer and forwarded it to a contact at Lionbridge. Unfortunately this person is out of office till next week and therefore I have not had any feedback on the legitimacy of this "offer" yet.

Gianluigi

Lucia PINTO
Lucia PINTO
French to Spanish
+ ...
They dont stop.....!!!!!!!!!! Sep 16, 2010

United Nation High Commissioner
on Refugee, Abidjan.

Dearest One,

With Due Respect To Your Personality,Accept my greetings.I also appologise any inconviniences this my letter would have course but please accept me and help me out of this situations.

My name is Ahmed Arif 23 years old from Dafur,Sudan now under United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) asylum protection in Ivory coast because of the war in my country.

My father
... See more
United Nation High Commissioner
on Refugee, Abidjan.

Dearest One,

With Due Respect To Your Personality,Accept my greetings.I also appologise any inconviniences this my letter would have course but please accept me and help me out of this situations.

My name is Ahmed Arif 23 years old from Dafur,Sudan now under United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) asylum protection in Ivory coast because of the war in my country.

My father was killed along side with my mother during the long civil war and his properties were totally destroyed.

However, after their death I managed to escape with a very important file of my father which stated that he deposited the sum of (US$18M)Eighteen Million United State Dollars in a bank abroad with my name as the Next of Kin.

Now, I would appreciate you to represent me in withdrawing the funds and also help me invest it in profitable ventures since i have limited knowledge in business and you will also make residence arrangement for me in your country.

I need your friendship and trust to start live again in your country and put my horrible past behind me.

We will negociate your percentage for your assistance in receiving the money to your account.

If you are interested please furnish me with your.
1) Real Names
2) Phone/Fax numbers
3) Occupation
4) Residence address.

I wish your honest response.

Yours,
Ahmed.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:20
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
No new scam... Sep 16, 2010

A new scam? No, nothing new under the sun. New names, maybe slightly different strategy, but basically the same as ever...

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree with John Sep 17, 2010

Just take a look at http://www.419eater.com and have fun!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new scam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »