Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When did you buy your last new smartphone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:49
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
3.5 years ago Dec 2, 2023

Samsung Galaxy S10. Will use it until it breaks.

Aline Brito
Aline Brito  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:49
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I didn't buy my current phone. Dec 9, 2023

Less than two years ago, but it's second hand from my husband (he had it for a year and a half, I think?), who did buy a new one. It serves me perfectly well, since I prefer doing most things on my desktop. I had my previous phone for about 5 years.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 09:49
English to Russian
+ ...
Over three years Dec 10, 2023

Didn't have a mobile until the mid-noughties when I got one as a present. When I was in the military, our chef bought himself one and kept talking about how good it was to have a mobile. I was doing compulsory service and had no money, but one guy who was on a contract bought a similar phone and used it so much that somehow incurred a huge debt (don't know how that was even possible). He then sold it with the debt and got beaten up in a couple of days. When I got home, my sister had two p... See more
Didn't have a mobile until the mid-noughties when I got one as a present. When I was in the military, our chef bought himself one and kept talking about how good it was to have a mobile. I was doing compulsory service and had no money, but one guy who was on a contract bought a similar phone and used it so much that somehow incurred a huge debt (don't know how that was even possible). He then sold it with the debt and got beaten up in a couple of days. When I got home, my sister had two phones, and most of the talks I'd hear were about phones and plans, which pissed me off. By now, I've used a handful of smartphones, some were broken, two stolen. Wouldn't mind getting a new one, but my toad is not happy with this ideaCollapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 08:49
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
4 years Dec 10, 2023

My iPhone could not update any more in 2019 and it became impossible to use certain apps any more, not even bank apps so I had to get a new smartphone. But I did not bother getting an iPhone as they are getting far too expensive and do not last a lot so I got a Xiaomi 9 which has, so far, served me well, though it has now developed a mind of its own such as deleting calls I made or contacts I saved. But I have no intention of getting a new one till |I have to and I would get a slightly bigger o... See more
My iPhone could not update any more in 2019 and it became impossible to use certain apps any more, not even bank apps so I had to get a new smartphone. But I did not bother getting an iPhone as they are getting far too expensive and do not last a lot so I got a Xiaomi 9 which has, so far, served me well, though it has now developed a mind of its own such as deleting calls I made or contacts I saved. But I have no intention of getting a new one till |I have to and I would get a slightly bigger one as it's better for certain things. I broke the screen but I'll leave it like that too as replacing it is too expensive and not worth itCollapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
iPhone Dec 10, 2023

I can't remember when I bought my last iPhone - years ago, a used one: it's an iPhone 7 that can no longer be upgraded to the latest version of iOS.

As soon as it stops being usable, I'll buy another used one - the latest model that can run the most recent version of iOS.

I simply take out the SIM card and put it into the new iPhone.

I would never buy a new iPhone. That's just a craze encouraged by Apple that has somehow tricked millions of people into b
... See more
I can't remember when I bought my last iPhone - years ago, a used one: it's an iPhone 7 that can no longer be upgraded to the latest version of iOS.

As soon as it stops being usable, I'll buy another used one - the latest model that can run the most recent version of iOS.

I simply take out the SIM card and put it into the new iPhone.

I would never buy a new iPhone. That's just a craze encouraged by Apple that has somehow tricked millions of people into believing that a mobile phone is an item of personal adornment and that you MUST always have the latest iPhone or you'll have no friends.

[Edited at 2023-12-10 14:29 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Supply issues Dec 10, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
.I would never buy a new iPhone. That's just a craze encouraged by Apple that has somehow tricked millions of people into believing that a mobile phone is an item of personal adornment and that you MUST always have the latest iPhone or you'll have no friends.

It’s not really a trick. If nobody bought them new, you wouldn’t be able to buy a used one.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Suckers Dec 10, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

It’s not really a trick. If nobody bought them new, you wouldn’t be able to buy a used one.

It's a trick played by me. I let those suckers rush out to trade in their old phones so that I can have them.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When did you buy your last new smartphone?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »