Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever been asked to perform a translation on-site?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 6, 2022

Is it on-site, or on sight?

I have done both. I was an in-house translator for many years. Sometimes people would hand me a text as ask me to translate it to them orally as they listened. We called it "sight translation." Also, when I worked at meetings before the Internet, people would hand be a paper to translate immediately.

[Edited at 2022-11-06 01:21 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:45
German to English
Yes, and they bought my lunch Nov 6, 2022

About 30 years ago when I was living in Germany I had a direct client that required me to translate confidential documents in their office, about a 20-minute drive from my home. I was paid an hourly wage at that time equivalent to about USD $40.00/hour. Since this was before the days of CAT tools, I was working about 6 hours a day on similar documents. The company paid for my lunch at the employee cafeteria. It was altogether a pleasant and well-paid – if somewhat boring – experience.
... See more
About 30 years ago when I was living in Germany I had a direct client that required me to translate confidential documents in their office, about a 20-minute drive from my home. I was paid an hourly wage at that time equivalent to about USD $40.00/hour. Since this was before the days of CAT tools, I was working about 6 hours a day on similar documents. The company paid for my lunch at the employee cafeteria. It was altogether a pleasant and well-paid – if somewhat boring – experience.

On the other hand, a few years ago an agency located about 100 km from my house wanted to hire me to translate not particularly confidential documents on their premises. Although the rate was OK, it certainly wasn't enough to compensate me for the daily commuting time of about 3 hours and related traffic jam stress.
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Nov 6, 2022

I have had a few inquiries over the years but none ever came to fruition.

The last one was the most interesting. It would have been translating confidential banking information on an offline computer. I would have been flown into the country in question, staying for a week.
I was wondering why they didn't just get someone locally since my language combination is very common. I think they finally deduced this and never got back to me....
See more
I have had a few inquiries over the years but none ever came to fruition.

The last one was the most interesting. It would have been translating confidential banking information on an offline computer. I would have been flown into the country in question, staying for a week.
I was wondering why they didn't just get someone locally since my language combination is very common. I think they finally deduced this and never got back to me.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been asked to perform a translation on-site?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »