Thread poster: Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:17
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Apr 30, 2023

Often when I'm editing a comment in Phrase/Memsource I want to delete the next word in the comment, so I reflexively press Ctrl+Delete. Instead of deleting the next word in the comment, this deletes the target text from the cursor position onward in the segment (not in the comment). This is an unwelcome and unprompted context switch.

I don't understand why this should happens given that (a) control + delete is a Windows convention (Word, notepad) for deleting the next word, and (b)
... See more
Often when I'm editing a comment in Phrase/Memsource I want to delete the next word in the comment, so I reflexively press Ctrl+Delete. Instead of deleting the next word in the comment, this deletes the target text from the cursor position onward in the segment (not in the comment). This is an unwelcome and unprompted context switch.

I don't understand why this should happens given that (a) control + delete is a Windows convention (Word, notepad) for deleting the next word, and (b) "Delete target text" is in any case set to "Ctrl+D" in Phrase, not "Ctrl+Delete".

I considered removing (clearing) the "Ctrl+D" to suppress this behavior but I cannot see any way to do this. Maybe there is an init file somewhere I can edit?

Any opinions and advice welcome.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:17
English to Russian
They seem to have fixed the issue May 23, 2023

Hi Dan,
I reported them the issue and they promised to fix it by the next release. Yesterday they released 23.24.0 and it seems to work correctly now. However I don't have a Phrase job at the moment. The previous job is locked now (complete) but I still can type text in the comment fields and Ctrl+Del works as expected.

Dan Lucas
expressisverbis

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Never thought of doing that... May 23, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
I reported them the issue and they promised to fix it by the next release.

Thanks, very kind of you.

Dan

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Oops... My bad May 30, 2023

Now that I have an active job for Phrase, I see that the behavior is still the same. It seemed fine to me just because the editor grid was locked upon completion. So the issue is still there.
However, I asked them if there is any news on this and today I received their reply:

Dan Lucas

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Seem to have finally fixed Nov 16, 2023

I received the below message from the Phrase support team:
===
Hi Stepan,
I'm following-up with you on this ticket: Could you please re-check if your reported issue still exists with the latest version of desktop editor for Phrase TMS
===
They seem to have fixed the issue. However I do not have any active job at the moment. Is there anybody to confirm it?

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing active Nov 16, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
They seem to have fixed the issue. However I do not have any active job at the moment. Is there anybody to confirm it?

Appreciate all your work on this Stepan. As luck would have it I just yesterday evening finished everything and have an empty schedule for the first time since, I think, July!

Hope it is resolved though. Ran into it again yesterday morning...

Dan

Stepan Konev

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still not fixed Dec 7, 2023

Desktop Editor 23.51 still broken with regard to comments.

And now the Editor appears to be (not entirely sure) automatically switching into dark mode if Windows is set to that. I guess it's logical, but I would like to be given the choice. Dislike how opinionated it is about some things, like always trying centre things on the cursor.

Dan

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Feedback Dec 7, 2023

I told them the issue still persists but probably you can send them a request too ([email protected]). These days you might have better luck than me.

[Edited at 2023-12-07 10:44 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Dark mode Dec 23, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
And now the Editor appears to be (not entirely sure) automatically switching into dark mode if Windows is set to that. I guess it's logical, but I would like to be given the choice.
Probably this can fix it

Dan Lucas

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Ctrl+Delete behaviour in Phrase, and related clearing of keyboard shortcuts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »