Source copied to target
Thread poster: Baran Keki
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:10
English to Turkish
Apr 29, 2023

I received a project in Phrase, opening it I saw that all the source segments were already copied to the target segments (but not confirmed) throughout the text. Is there a way of clearing all those target segments?

[Edited at 2023-04-29 11:56 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:10
Danish to English
+ ...
Three methods Apr 29, 2023

1. Use Find/Replace, tick the Regex box, find ".+" (without the plus, the operation is so demanding for this brilliant software that it almost requires a supercomputer to complete it) and change everything to nothing.

2. Export to bilingual doc and clear the target columns, then import it back into Phrasesource, or whatever they call it these days to confuse us.

3. Export to MXLIFF, import into memoQ*, Studio or another CAT tool for grown-ups, clear the target segments
... See more
1. Use Find/Replace, tick the Regex box, find ".+" (without the plus, the operation is so demanding for this brilliant software that it almost requires a supercomputer to complete it) and change everything to nothing.

2. Export to bilingual doc and clear the target columns, then import it back into Phrasesource, or whatever they call it these days to confuse us.

3. Export to MXLIFF, import into memoQ*, Studio or another CAT tool for grown-ups, clear the target segments there, optionally continue working there, export it back to MXLIFF, then open that file in the toy CAT tool.

*) Only the most recent versions of memoQ officially support MXLIFF import, but it still works in older versions with XLIFF filter 1.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Baran Keki

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 09:10
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
#3 Apr 29, 2023

In case of #3, will it create issues in Memsource, after finalizing the project in there? Will it be visible that one stage of the project had been done in, say, Trados?

Btw, great toy/grown-up tool description, hit the nail on the head.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Never any problems Apr 29, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

In case of #3, will it create issues in Memsource, after finalizing the project in there? Will it be visible that one stage of the project had been done in, say, Trados?

Thanks.

I've never had any problems doing this in memoQ, also years before they officially supported it. A colleague I know has never reported any problems doing the same in Trados.

You can always check the MXLIFF file in Notepad++ to see which tags and information it contains if you want to be sure.

Lingua 5B

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Under "Document" Apr 29, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

I received a project in Phrase, opening it I saw that all the source segments were already copied to the target segments (but not confirmed) throughout the text. Is there a way of clearing all those target segments?

[Edited at 2023-04-29 11:56 GMT]

In the ONLINE EDITOR, click "Document" > "View Project" > there you should have an option to pre-translate/delete target copy etc. (select the job before). Currently I do not have any jobs I can open so I can't say where the command is exactly, but I used that functionality in the past.

EDIT: It is under "Pre-translate" > "Delete all translations..." > Popup with 4 choices.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-29 14:34 GMT]

Baran Keki
Dan Lucas

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 29, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
EDIT: It is under "Pre-translate" > "Delete all translations..." > Popup with 4 choices.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-29 14:34 GMT]

That works!

Zea_Mays

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Convoluted Apr 29, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Wow, this is really intuitive, 'Delete all translations' under 'View project'. In memoQ, it's Preparation > Clear translations. They clearly can't afford those top-notch developers they've hired at Memphrase.

Maybe we should expect to discover Find/Replace under Help in the next version. Help with finding and replacing. Logical.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
... Apr 29, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

Wow, this is really intuitive, 'Delete all translations' under 'View project'. In memoQ, it's Preparation > Clear translations. They clearly can't afford those top-notch developers they've hired at Memphrase.

Maybe we should expect to discover Find/Replace under Help in the next version. Help with finding and replacing. Logical.

Dealing with different software types we should be prepared (and used to) to have to search for some features, isn't it?

Only give up after you tried all options.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Filter, then Ctrl+D Apr 29, 2023

You can try to Filter by 'Not confirmed', select all with Ctrl+Shift+A, then clear translation with Ctrl+D.

Dan Lucas

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Shortcut list for PC and Mac Apr 29, 2023

For online and desktop editor:

https://support.phrase.com/hc/en-us/articles/5709700557468-Editor-Keyboard-Shortcuts-TMS-

PS: shortcut for find&replace: Cmd (or Ctrl) +h

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-29 15:16 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: toy/grown-up tool description Apr 29, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:
Unlike Trados, this "toy tool" can select and ignore multiple warning messages with Ctrl or Shift functionality. Trados would need ages to grow up enough to learn this superskill.

Zea_Mays

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Source copied to target

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »