Why don't I get hits from my customer's Memsource server TM and how to confirm multiple segments?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 08:54
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2022

Why don't I get hits from my customer's Memsource server TM and how to confirm multiple segments?

There is something strange going on with my customer's server TM. When I first started this translation project with two files (.idml files), the "TM" and "TB" icons in my own Memsource Desktop Studio were grey. I continued anyway translating most of the first file, which is on 5,000 words, because the deadline was approaching and I'm in another timezone than my customer. I then pointed
... See more

There is something strange going on with my customer's server TM. When I first started this translation project with two files (.idml files), the "TM" and "TB" icons in my own Memsource Desktop Studio were grey. I continued anyway translating most of the first file, which is on 5,000 words, because the deadline was approaching and I'm in another timezone than my customer. I then pointed out this for my customer, asking him to have a look if he could make their TM work (it's empty, but even though I confirm my segments in my own Memsource Desktop Studio, these are not saved into the customer's online Memsource server TM.

Then after my customer had changed something my icons for "TM" and "TB" were green and I got my translations saved into the TM (I could verify it by the date and time stamp and "100% match"). But shortly afterwards, even though the icons for "TM" and "TB" continue to be green, I'm back at square one again with my translations not saved into the customer's Memsource server TM. Instead, my translations are now showing up in the TM windows as "Non-translateable match" or "Memsource Translate Automatically generated" (for the same segments that I only a short while ago got 100 % match for and correct date and time stamp).

What can be going on, and isn't it only my customer's who can remedy this?

It's the first time this happens, and I've used Memsource Desktop Studio for many years.

Just to be certain, I updated Memsource Desktop Studio to the latest version, run a full virus scan for the whole day and restarted my computer. But that didn't help.

An update: Now it works again, at least temporarily, I confirmed a few segments into the TM and they show up with correct date and time stamp. But they did that this morning also, and then it didn't work any longer. So I'm worried it will be like this morning soon again.

My second question is how I can confirm multiple, non-adjacent segments at a time? I need to do this now as the TM didn't work for almost the whole first file on 5,000 words. Can I somehow filter out all segments that have been confirmed by me as translated (but never went into the TM due to some issue), mark all these segments and then confirm them once again? Now that the TM seems to be working again, I would then get all my translated segments moved into the TM.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 01:01 GMT]

If I can't do as I described above in question two, the problem to get my translated segments into the TM is that if I confirm them one by one, starting from top going downwards segment by segment, then once I've confirmed a segment the cursor moves to the first unconfirmed segment, so that I need to scroll up to the second segment for confirmation, and so on. In SDL Trados Studio and MemoQ, there is an option to confirm a segment and move to next segment (irrespective whether that segment is confirmed or not). There seems to be no such option in Memsource.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 01:05 GMT]

It's definitely something strange going on with the TM server: Now when the TM seems to be working, I confirmed an already translated segment one more time, but at first it showed up as "Memsource Translate Automatically generated" in the TM windows, and a few seconds later I confirmed the same segment again, a third time, and this time the segment got moved into the TM and showed up in the TM window with correct date and time stamp.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 01:52 GMT]

The same thing happened with one more segment.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 01:53 GMT] So it's no point anymore to try to get segments into the TM as they in one instance show up with correct date and time stamp, and in another instance are displayed in the TM window as "Memsource Translate Automatically generated".

[Edited at 2022-02-23 01:54 GMT]

I'm not using any VPN either that otherwise might be causing troubles with the connection to a TM server.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 02:12 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:54
English to Russian
Upload to server Feb 23, 2022

Click the Document tab and select Upload to server
All your confirmed segments will be stored in their server TM.

Probably your client deactivated their license for you. That's why the indicators were grey. When they are grey, you cannot store segments in the server TM, you can only confirm segments locally without storing in TM. When the indicators are grey, click Login in the lower right corner and try to login again.

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
once I've confirmed a segment the cursor moves to the first unconfirmed segment, so that I need to scroll up to the second segment for confirmation, and so on
If you want to re-confirm them manually one after the other, go to Tools - Preferences - CAT tab - select 'Next segment' radio button. However this action is not needed because you can do the same in one click by the 'Upload to server' command.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 02:27 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 08:54
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After having uploaded the document to the server, I still don't get the correct date and time stamp Feb 23, 2022

I uploaded my document now, but all those confirmed segments are still displayed as "Memsource Translate Automatically generated". However, in the TM window, it's correctly marked according to my confirmed segments using green and red colours and strike-throughs. That's really strange...

So for the same segment that I look at now, on the one hand this long segment on 23 words is displayed as "Memsource Translate Automatically generated" (although I have translated it, edited the ma
... See more
I uploaded my document now, but all those confirmed segments are still displayed as "Memsource Translate Automatically generated". However, in the TM window, it's correctly marked according to my confirmed segments using green and red colours and strike-throughs. That's really strange...

So for the same segment that I look at now, on the one hand this long segment on 23 words is displayed as "Memsource Translate Automatically generated" (although I have translated it, edited the machine translation), on the other hand, in the TM window, the segment is correctly marked according to my edits using green and red colours and strike-throughs.

But now, when I confirmed this segment described above, it went into the TM with correct date and time stamp. Although that has happened before, then later it has reverted to "Memsource Translate Automatically generated".

[Edited at 2022-02-23 02:48 GMT] Segment 33 in file 2. Let's see later if that segment gets reverted also in the TM to "Memsource Translate Automatically generated".

[Edited at 2022-02-23 02:49 GMT]

Yes, that happened in a just a few seconds and a few switching between segments: That segment 33 in file 2 got reverted also in the TM to "Memsource Translate Automatically generated", from having had the correct date and time stamp.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 02:50 GMT]

I tried now with two segments filtered. I had translated both and confirmed them. Then I switched backed and forth between them, still filtered, but it took 4-5 times before the date and time stamp was changed to "Memsource Translate Automatically generated" from having had the correct date and time stamp initially. Without filtered segments when I do this, it takes less number of switching back and forth.

[Edited at 2022-02-23 03:20 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »