William Padina
William Padina
Romania
Local time: 13:22
English to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 29, 2021

Dear colleagues,

I just finished a translation in Trados 2021.
The translated document was a *.mxliff file.
I've got a problem from the beginning as there were 2 errors shown in Trados after I have imported the document, but everything was fine until I finished the translation and the QA.
After that, I was able to save the target as mxliff but I was unable to save the bilingual for revision.
Moreover, I tried to open the mxliff file in Memsource and I've got
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I just finished a translation in Trados 2021.
The translated document was a *.mxliff file.
I've got a problem from the beginning as there were 2 errors shown in Trados after I have imported the document, but everything was fine until I finished the translation and the QA.
After that, I was able to save the target as mxliff but I was unable to save the bilingual for revision.
Moreover, I tried to open the mxliff file in Memsource and I've got the error "Unable to open MXLIFF file".
Then, I tried to upload the bilingual online, and I've got the error "Error occurred when uploading the bilingual file (InvalidArguments: com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxUnexpectedCharException: Unexpected character ' ' (code 32) in content after '
Collapse

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:22
English to Russian
Open the affected file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad++) Dec 29, 2021

I think you need to identify the exact lines containing these two "unexpected errors" and find the relevant errors. Fix them and save the file again. Generally, it solves the problem.

[Edited at 2021-12-29 10:12 GMT]

Yulya Xlyupova

William Padina
William Padina
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 29, 2021

Thank you for the answer but unfortunately, I don't know how to do that.
Could you please tell me where/how can I find these errors?

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Look it up in Google Dec 29, 2021

Sorry, William, I need to deliver a project today, so I am pressed for time.

Follow this link, please: See more
Sorry, William, I need to deliver a project today, so I am pressed for time.

Follow this link, please: https://www.bing.com/search?q=memsource%20com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxUnexpectedCharException:%20Unexpected%20character%20&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=memsource%20com.ctc.wstx.exc.wstxunexpectedcharexception:%20unexpected%20character%20&sc=0-77&sk=&cvid=24AE1F2558D54E7DB179B33483FCA769
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Do you use Dec 29, 2021

the MXLIFF File Type plugin?
https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/mxliff-file-type/962/

William Padina
William Padina
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure Dec 29, 2021

I use the plugin.
Anyway, I switched to the "old fashion" way and I copied the text from Studio to Memsource.
It would be great, however, to find a way to fix this in order to avoid this problem in the future.
Thank you in advance to all of you for your time and kind support.
Until then, I wish you a Happy New Year!
Kind regards
Will

Richard Jacobs
Richard Jacobs  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2020)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fix? Feb 12, 2022

Did you ever get a fix for this? Running into the same issue on two files, and since they're quite large, I really am not looking forward to copy pasting the text into Memsource.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Searching for culprit by deleting segments Feb 12, 2022

identify the exact lines containing these two "unexpected errors"

William Padina wrote:
I don't know how to do that
1. Create a copy of your xliff file.
2. Delete the second half of your translation. Say, you have 1000 segments, so run the 'Clear Target Segment' command from segment 501 to 1000.
3. Then save the file and try to import it. If the errors persist, repeat this action with the remaining part of the file, i.e. clear target segments from 251 to 501. Repeat these steps until you find the culprit string.
If you don't get any error messages after clearing segments 501 to 1000, it means the error is somewhere in the second half. Undelete it, delete the first half this time, and repeat the procedure for the second half of your file.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
If Import is available to you in Memsource, Feb 12, 2022

you can import a tmx file as created from your sdlxliff.
You can use Glossary Converter, or Heartsome TMX Editor for this purpose, or simply create a blank TM in Trados and update it with your sdlxliff, then export it into TMX.
Once you have a TMX file in hand, import it into Memsource TM2022-02-12_212300

[Edited at 2022-02-12 18:29 GMT]

Richard Jacobs
Richard Jacobs  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2020)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TM Feb 13, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

you can import a tmx file as created from your sdlxliff.
You can use Glossary Converter, or Heartsome TMX Editor for this purpose, or simply create a blank TM in Trados and update it with your sdlxliff, then export it into TMX.
Once you have a TMX file in hand, import it into Memsource TM2022-02-12_212300

[Edited at 2022-02-12 18:29 GMT]

That doesn't work though if you're the linguist and have no permissions to add a TM to the project. Your other solution might be faster. I did mail back and forth with Memsource customer service but they were unable to fix the issue, resorted back to some blabla about "only use Memsource", and gave me a workaround that was so cumbersome that copying and pasting 8,000 words was faster. Next time I'll try the "delete a number of segments" approach to try to pinpoint where the error is.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Error importing a Memsource document translated in Trados 2021

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »