How to enable red-blue in track changes?
Thread poster: Rex Alexander
Rex Alexander
Rex Alexander
Local time: 17:11
English
Apr 25, 2007

Wed 25 Apr 07, 9:21 a.m.

Ref: Microsoft? Word 2002 (10.4524.2625)

Hi All,

Newbie here. Be nice, please!

I am using track changes for the first time. I want the deletions to display as red with strikeout, and the insertions as blue with underline. It seems to be quite straight-forward to enable the red-blue selection in tools>options under the "track changes" tab.

The strikeout and underline seem to work fine, but unfortunate
... See more
Wed 25 Apr 07, 9:21 a.m.

Ref: Microsoft? Word 2002 (10.4524.2625)

Hi All,

Newbie here. Be nice, please!

I am using track changes for the first time. I want the deletions to display as red with strikeout, and the insertions as blue with underline. It seems to be quite straight-forward to enable the red-blue selection in tools>options under the "track changes" tab.

The strikeout and underline seem to work fine, but unfortunately only displays in a single color for both; sometimes all red, sometimes all blue.

My client is adamant aobut following his red-blue convention, so I must sort this out.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Aloha,

Rex

[Edited at 2007-04-25 09:12]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
Polish to English
+ ...
Tracking changes Apr 25, 2007

In Word, click on the "Tools" menu, go down to "Options", click on the "Track changes" tab.

There you will see a whole mess of choices. The default values are "same as author" (or something to that effect - I use the Polish version of Word 2003) and I don't recall anyone ever touching this.

In this window you will be able to customize the colours of your changes as you see fit.

Another thing is that for some reason the track changes feature lives a life of
... See more
In Word, click on the "Tools" menu, go down to "Options", click on the "Track changes" tab.

There you will see a whole mess of choices. The default values are "same as author" (or something to that effect - I use the Polish version of Word 2003) and I don't recall anyone ever touching this.

In this window you will be able to customize the colours of your changes as you see fit.

Another thing is that for some reason the track changes feature lives a life of its own and the colours seem to change of their own accord - sometimes they're green, purple, blue.

Good luck
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Rex Alexander
Rex Alexander
English
TOPIC STARTER
red/blue command doesn't work! Apr 25, 2007

PAS wrote:In this window you will be able to customize the colours of your changes as you see fit.
Pawel Skalinski

Thanks Pawel. Yes, the controls in Tools> options> track changes seem very simple. The first selection "author" (red on top, blue on bottom) seems like the one to do what I want; deletions in red and insertions in blue. The problem is that when I select it, the deletions and insertions are either in all blue or all red in my document.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks!

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Choose the colour Apr 26, 2007

If you leave it on "Author", it will do funny things.

You must open the scroll-down list and choose the colour you need for both the insertions and the deletions.

P.A.S.

Rex Alexander
Rex Alexander
English
TOPIC STARTER
I want red deletions and blue insertions Apr 26, 2007

PAS wrote:

If you leave it on "Author", it will do funny things. You must open the scroll-down list and choose the colour you need for both the insertions and the deletions. P.A.S.

Thu 26 Apr 07, 4:34 p.m.

Hi PAS,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know that "author" does funny things! That is why I posted here in the first place. My client insists that I use red w/strikeout for deletions and blue w/underline for insertions. I know it is possible, I just don't know how to do it. I thought it was that "author red/blue" selection, but apparently not.

Anybody?

Thanks.

Aloha,

Rex

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Try, try again Apr 26, 2007

Open the "Track changes" tab.

On the left, it says "insertions" in the first row and "deletions" in the second.

The first scroll down list (in the cente of the tab) lets you choose the format of the change, so to speak. Click on the black arrow and you will see a number of choices - strikethrough, double strikethrough etc.

The second scroll down list (on the right side of the tab) lets you choose the colour of the change. Click on the black arrow and beneat
... See more

On the left, it says "insertions" in the first row and "deletions" in the second.

The first scroll down list (in the cente of the tab) lets you choose the format of the change, so to speak. Click on the black arrow and you will see a number of choices - strikethrough, double strikethrough etc.

The second scroll down list (on the right side of the tab) lets you choose the colour of the change. Click on the black arrow and beneath "author, you will see a number of coloured squares that you click on to pick the colour of the change. Blue is the fourth one down, beneath black.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For deletions, red is the seventh colour down on the list of colours.

I use Polish Word, but you should get the picture, so to speak...
If that's not your problem then I don't know how to help you

HTH
P.A.S.

[Edited at 2007-04-26 19:11]
Collapse

Rex Alexander
Rex Alexander
English
TOPIC STARTER
My version of Word is different Apr 27, 2007

PAS wrote:

The second scroll down list (on the right side of the tab) lets you choose the colour of the change. Click on the black arrow and beneath "author, you will see a number of coloured squares that you click on to pick the colour of the change. Blue is the fourth one down, beneath black.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For deletions, red is the seventh colour down on the list of colours.

I use Polish Word, but you should get the picture, so to speak...
If that's not your problem then I don't know how to help you

HTH
P.A.S.

[Edited at 2007-04-26 19:11]

PAS, Thanks a million for those very clear instructions and taking the time to post the image. However, my version of Word running on ExPee (Microsoft® Word 2002 (10.4524.2625) is different. There are fewer choices and doesn't appear to be a specific box or drop-down to choose the color of the insertions. I can change the global color, but no matter what I do, the deletions and insertions end up as the same color. Strange! Thanks for you help!

Anybody using my version of Word?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Shame Apr 27, 2007

Admittedly, while I did note that you use Word XP, I had never owned it and had only used it for a few months about 3 years ago... I didn't remember that they revised the feature so much.

Have a read here:

http://www.integrativeink.com/html/tutorials/mstrackxp.phtml

It seems you cannot differentiate the colour for deletions and insertions
... See more
Admittedly, while I did note that you use Word XP, I had never owned it and had only used it for a few months about 3 years ago... I didn't remember that they revised the feature so much.

Have a read here:

http://www.integrativeink.com/html/tutorials/mstrackxp.phtml

It seems you cannot differentiate the colour for deletions and insertions in Word XP.

When googling, I used "track changes word 2002 screenshot" (w/o the quotes) to make sure they had screenshots of the actual dialogs.

Sigh, I guess that's the end of the road.

P.A.S.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enable red-blue in track changes?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »