Spelling and grammar checker doesn't work in MS Word 2000
Thread poster: Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2007

Dear all,

I work with MS Word 2000 (9.0.2720) -English version- under Windows XP Home edition -Spanish version-.

My problem is that MS Word's spelling and grammar checker refuses to work.

I am trying to check a document written in Spanish. It has some transliterated Chinese names and I have added some typos on purpose, so there are things that the checker should definetely pick. It seems to run through the document and at the end I get the "The spelling and
... See more
Dear all,

I work with MS Word 2000 (9.0.2720) -English version- under Windows XP Home edition -Spanish version-.

My problem is that MS Word's spelling and grammar checker refuses to work.

I am trying to check a document written in Spanish. It has some transliterated Chinese names and I have added some typos on purpose, so there are things that the checker should definetely pick. It seems to run through the document and at the end I get the "The spelling and grammar check is complete" message, but it doesn't pick any mistake or typo.

I try to run the English language checker and I get the same results, so I think I might have lost (or not installed) the dictionaries somehow.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office, but to not avail. Any idea will be very welcome.

Kind regards,
Jerónimo
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 03:29
French to English
+ ...
What's the language set to in the document? Apr 3, 2007

Your document probably has its language set to something you don't have a dictionary for.

Select all the text (Edit / Select all)
Set the language (Tools / Language / Set language)

Those are obviously the English menu commands but you should be able to figure it out

Terry.

Olav van Kessel
Olav van Kessel
Netherlands
Local time: 03:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
"Do not check spelling or grammar" check box cleared? Apr 4, 2007

In addition to Terry's message, when setting the language, also make sure the "Do not check spelling or grammar" check box at the bottom is cleared. Hope it works out well.

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still doesn't work Apr 4, 2007

Thank you Terry and Olav.

I have tried what you suggested but the spell checker still doesn't work

How can I know if the Spanish dictionary is installed? And, how can I install the Spanish dictionary?

Thanks in advance
Jerónimo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spelling and grammar checker doesn't work in MS Word 2000

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »